• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some interesting news about 4th edition

Turjan

Explorer
Mordane76 said:
Even given this scenario, 4E will still likely be several years into the future...
You know, with several 4e threads that pop up on this board per week, I as a manager would conclude that at least the contributors on this board are ready for 4e now, regardless what they say in these threads. Of course, this would have to be double-checked against the "free-roaming" gamer species outside of these internet dens. Nevertheless, if rumors about a new edition get too abundant, they tend to bring down sales, because nobody wants to buy any soon-to-be-outdated stuff anymore. Which calls for a new edition.

Psion

Adventurer
Turjan said:
You know, with several 4e threads that pop up on this board per week, I as a manager would conclude that at least the contributors on this board are ready for 4e now,

It only takes one person -- out of the thousands that subscribe to this board -- to start a thread.

Holy crap. How can people be taking seriously the idea that WotC would integrate the two games?

However, as a thought experiment, let us consider what that could entail.

1. Every year, Magic releases a new series of three expansions, called a Block. Each year, the new block is in a new setting, often a setting that is lavishly created and beautifully realized in art and flavor text, much of it handled implicitly so that the gamer's imagination takes over. One possibility is that every year D&D will release a new setting book based on the new block setting for magic, complete with adventures and add-on mini-books.

These campaign settings aren't designed for the long haul. They'll each just last a year, and then the game will move on, developing into something new. Using a planes-hopping model, though, it will be possible to integrate the different settings.

This, I feel, is a [smallcaps]Good Idea[/smallcaps]tm.

2. Some manner of randomization in the rulebooks. Perhaps you could have the core rules, and then books thereafter would have a random set of material.

This, despite my joking of it in the review of D20 College Life, is a stupid idea.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
If the "integration" was long the lines of the core setting for D&D being that of MtG, then fine. As long as the game plays better (the only way I'll buy into a new edition at this point in my life), then I don't care. Some of the MtG settings have promise even.

If said "integration" is more to the tune of making the RPG collectible like cards, then I'll stick with all the 3.5/OGL stuff I have right now (which will likely be the case at any rate). I do have to say that this insider information sounds a lot like a load of well, cowpies.

Kane

GVDammerung

First Post
I hope this is not going off on too much of a tangent but I think Wotc is with 4E much more free to experiment.

3E faced the twin tasks of reviving the game and easing gamers away from the 1E/2E welter of subsystems in the rules while not alienating too many people in the process. It did both well.

4E inherits a much more robust audience and an audience that is not so wedded to an idiosyncratic system. This gives Wotc designers more room to maneuver, IMO.

What they do with that freedom, of course, remains to be seen.

The Cardinal

First Post
Vindicator said:
The 800 lb. gorilla of the CCG business and the 800 lb. gorilla of the RPG business . . . combined, should be a stellar product.

"stellar" somehow doesn't seem to be the right word to describe the mating of two 800 lbs. gorillas (or its result)...

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Hmmm, the original starter of this thread has not returned, to defend the position. Does anyone know this person, in person? If so, get a buzz on, and ask this starter to say something, please.

This issue needs to be cleared up...

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
First off, I think this 'rumor' is nothing less than b.s. However, what would be kind of interesting, is switching from minis, which take up space and require all sorts of extras to do 'right', to card-and-dice based combat. With high production quality cards for maneuvers, spells and the like, as well as 'environment' cards, trap cards and so on, you don't break the immersion like you do with rough scribbles on a battlemat. Collectibility wouldn't even be a major issue for me, assuming that the 'core' set had all the basic feats, etc...

Turjan

Explorer
The Cardinal said:
"stellar" somehow doesn't seem to be the right word to describe the mating of two 800 lbs. gorillas (or its result)...
I suppose it's a 7 lbs. gorilla baby :). However, it might grow with time ;).

Remove ads