• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Sooo... 4e Video Games?

Family

First Post
Anyone know of any 4e video games in the works?

I know Dragon Age (the non-d&d RPG coming from bioware) will likely be good but...

I'd love a Baldur's Gate II remake in 4e, why mess with perfection?

Branduil

Hero
Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, but I think the 4e rules would work a lot better for video games than the past systems. Since everything is balanced into at-will, encounter, and daily powers it should be easier to interpret and integrate those elements than in past editions.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
IMNSHO, 4e would work great as a tactical, turn-based, strategy CRPG for combat encounters.

If they made it like a lot of the Bioware and Atari D&D games where pausing is the only option for tactics, then it'd result in a really piss-poor game.

Hearkening back to the days of turn-based CRPG's from SSI, with a hex-grid would be awesome!

I think with the stronger emphasis on action types and more reaction (immediate actions) abilities, I am not sure it would get that much easier.
I think a round-based combat system would have definite advantage, and I prefer them, too. It was one of the highlights of Temple of Elemental Evil for me that most of the tactical details of the 3E round-based combat translated well to that game. Neverwinters Nights was better and more versatile in many respects, but it didn't get this part right, IMO.

What I definitely see is that the game balancing might become easier. You can put stronger requirements on extended rest (sleep) without disrupting class balance. So you avoid the NWN syndrome of "rest after each combat". You can require characters to rest at reasonable position and not anywhere and anytime in the dungeon.

I wonder how well skill challenges or rituals will translate into a video game.

D.Shaffer

First Post
I'd love a turn based TRPG game, myself. Especially if they made it for the DS so it'd be portable.

Heck, redo the old goldbox games with 4th ed rules, improved graphics, and with cut scenes and it'd be wonderful. (Ok, they'd probably have to completely redo the first few so it'd actually have, you know, STORY, but some of the later ones?)

ferratus

Adventurer
I think there are opportunities for two types of D&D 4e video games.

The first would be an excellent blend of turn-based strategy and Character driven adventure game. Unfortunately, neither type of genre is particularly popular right now.

4e is also better suited to an action game than 3e was. With a smaller selection of powers, and fighter powers being more impressive, we could see the blend of D&D rules with entertaining gameplay (ie. Mass Effect, Jade Empire, WoW).

I don't want to see any more point and click RPG's in real time however. While I like playing D&D on the computer screen, clicking on sprites with the mouse as the core gameplay experience sucks.

med stud

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
I'd love a turn based TRPG game, myself. Especially if they made it for the DS so it'd be portable.

Heck, redo the old goldbox games with 4th ed rules, improved graphics, and with cut scenes and it'd be wonderful. (Ok, they'd probably have to completely redo the first few so it'd actually have, you know, STORY, but some of the later ones?)
I would SO buy them if they redid the gold box- games. The nostalgia from playing those was what brought me in to D&D in the first place.

Vaeron

Explorer
Kzach said:
Hearkening back to the days of turn-based CRPG's from SSI, with a hex-grid would be awesome!

Here here! The gold box games were great. I don't understand the resistance to turn-based play, it's the only way to get the D&D experience in a computer game. Games like NWN where you're trying to get off spells and the monsters can just chase you around hitting you regardless are NOT D&D.

I don't think there needs to be a grid though... The God Box games (and ToEE and PoR2) got by doing turn-based without a grid.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I've always fantasized about a game where you created a party and played the game in a 3rd person point of view in real time. But, when initiative is rolled, the camera pulled back to an isometric view (with a controllable camera) and a grid faded into view on the ground.

At that point, it becomes a turn based RPG until the encounter is over.

Once it's done, it snaps back to the real time 3rd person perspective.

Maybe killing attacks and critical hits zoom up to a ciniematic view complete with slow motion and a quality physics engine.

Remove ads