• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer, spellbook, scribe scroll

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
OP here.

Thanks for the comments. I'll address some specific comments people made.

1. The world I am in is Arcanis, so arcane magic is very rare. No magic shops to buy scrolls a la cart.

2. No wizard in the party, so no abuse can happen.

3. Having a spell erased from a spellbook because it's being copied to a scroll by a sorcerer is...I can't think of another word, but just foolish. Far too dire a consequence for the benefit gained.

4. Using a spell slot to write the scroll sounds very appropriate.

5. A spellcraft check is more appropriate during the writing of the scroll rather than the reading of the scroll.

As an aside, I don't believe sorcerer is a "weaker class". The reason I am exploring this option is to gain some adaptability where there is none available *in game*.

Cheers!

irdeggman

First Post
Are you the DM or one of the players?

I pointed out the spellcraft check (for making and using) was a requirement for a different class that specializes in making magic items (the artificer from Eberron setting) - so it was a mechanic that was in use in an official WotC product already. Actually it is a UMD check and not a spellcraft check, but spellcraft is an easier skill for a sorcerer, since UMD is not a class skill.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Runestaff. Suddenly those slots aren't wasted any more.

Runestaff can also be used by a sorcerer to expand his spells known and make use of a worthless slot if the sorc's other spells of that level aren't of any use in a situation, so I don't know what point that makes.

Shin Okada

Explorer
As an aside, I don't believe sorcerer is a "weaker class". The reason I am exploring this option is to gain some adaptability where there is none available *in game*.

If you are a DM, you should describe your players what will likely to happen to arcane caster PCs beforehand. If you are a player, you should make up your PC after consulting with the DM about his campaign.

Though I don't like "limited magic item access campaign setting" for 3.5e at all, Both sorcerers and wizards should have their own advantage as they are, without introducing any house rules. Sorcerers can shine with their rich spell slots/day as consumable magic items (scrolls, wands, staffs) are rare. Wizards can enjoy being one of rare creators of arcane magic items. Also, artificers and warlocks will really shine in such a world.

If you are already running such a campaign and if a PC sorcerer having a trouble because he cannot have access to a certain spell he doesn't know, It is basically the DM's fault but can be compensated without making up a new house rule. The DM can always let PCs find (by opportunity or by intentional quest) appropriate magic items such as scrolls, wands, staffs & rune staffs.

Dingleberry

First Post
3. Having a spell erased from a spellbook because it's being copied to a scroll by a sorcerer is...I can't think of another word, but just foolish. Far too dire a consequence for the benefit gained.

Pretty sure you could've come up with a less insulting word. If not, you could've left "I can't think of another word, but just foolish" out of the post entirely and conveyed your opinion just fine without the snark.

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
OP here.

I am the player of the sorcerer, and the character is at 5th level. We are in a cursed keep in the mountains during winter. Just found a dead wizard's spellbook and I'm looking at options.

The DM is quite good at dropping one-shot items such as scrolls, so this request isn't snipping at her skills. I'm investigating possibilities for the spellbook :)

AbyssKnight: Yes, it's Paradigm Concepts' Arcanis, but a homegame with the metaplot in the background :)

Dingleberry: No insult or snark intended. Perhaps "foolish" was too strong, but I was mulling over the word to use. "Harsh" may have been better. Anyway, I'm sorry if you took offense.

Cheers!

Dingleberry

First Post
Dingleberry: No insult or snark intended. Perhaps "foolish" was too strong, but I was mulling over the word to use. "Harsh" may have been better. Anyway, I'm sorry if you took offense.

No worries.

If you want to skip the Scribe Scroll angle entirely, maybe your DM would let you cast spells out of the spellbook like they were scrolls with a sufficient Spellcraft check - essentially, this would make a found spellbook like a big pile of scrolls bounds together. And you wouldn't need to burn a feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads