• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer, spellbook, scribe scroll

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
Would it be game breaking if a sorcerer had the ability to scribe a scroll using a spell from a captured spellbook?

The sorcerer would have to take the feat Scribe Scroll, obviously.

The sorcerer would also have to make a Spellcraft check, or use Read Magic to initially read the spell.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Cheers!

shadyizok

Explorer
Is it game-breaking? No. Is it an advantage tey normally wouldn't have? Yes.

Your giving them a small amount of additional flexability, perhaps they should get a small disadvantage in return, kind of like an ACF. Perhaps a loss of class skills, then again they have so very little allready. How about they get their familiar at lvl 4 instead of 1 and it's effective lvl is 4 lower for purpose of familiar abilities.

irdeggman

First Post
I would have that in order to cast the spell from the scroll the sorcerer would not automatically be successful since he doesn't "know" the spell in the first place.

I say this because in order to create a scroll by the RAW you must cast the spell in the first place and it is clear that the intent here is to not be able to cast it (i.e., not in his "known" spells) - so I would go with the spellcraft check in order to cast as well as in order to create the item. This would be similar to what an artificer has to go through with his "items".

While not per the RAW it seems logical to insert this since the RAW is already being "bent" in the first place - sort of completes the loop as you will.

Dandu

First Post
I would have that in order to cast the spell from the scroll the sorcerer would not automatically be successful since he doesn't "know" the spell in the first place.
Sorcerers can cast a spell off of any scroll as long as the spell is on the sorcerer/wizard spell list. Might need a CL check, but that's about it.

I say this because in order to create a scroll by the RAW you must cast the spell in the first place and it is clear that the intent here is to not be able to cast it
Scribe Scroll [Item Creation]

Prerequisite

Caster level 1st.
Benefit

You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.
Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.
Can you please highlight the portion of the text that says you must cast a spell in the item creation process? All I can see is text mandating that you must know the spell.

Vegepygmy

First Post
Can you please highlight the portion of the text that says you must cast a spell in the item creation process? All I can see is text mandating that you must know the spell.
DMG, page 287:

To create a scroll...[t]

he creator must have prepared the spell to be scribed (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material component or focus the spell requires. If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, she pays the cost upon beginning the scroll in addition to the XP cost for making the scroll itself. Likewise, a material component is consumed when she begins writing, but a focus is not. (A focus used in scribing a scroll can be reused.) The act of writing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)

Remove ads