D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah it really makes me worried that it's going to make it a lot harder to build themed sorcerers, which is 90% of the reason I like the class.
I'm worried too, but there is a big jump from having a single wild spell to having wild magic surges. I think they are going to give the sorcerer a bit more of the "X-man learning to control their powers" vibes but keep Wild Magic as a sub for the "it's too much, I can't control it" options and allow the other types to reign in their magic, but they can always just go back to that bit of uncontrolled magic (chaos bolt) if the want or need to.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm worried too, but there is a big jump from having a single wild spell to having wild magic surges. I think they are going to give the sorcerer a bit more of the "X-man learning to control their powers" vibes but keep Wild Magic as a sub for the "it's too much, I can't control it" options and allow the other types to reign in their magic, but they can always just go back to that bit of uncontrolled magic (chaos bolt) if the want or need to.
I'm betting this is the plan. There is some chaos at level 1 and 2 while you learn to control your power, then you pick a subclass and get focused at 3 (or remain unfocused if you choose the Wild Sorcerer subclass).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, I’m sure WotC is very aware that people like to use the sorcerer to create highly-themed casters, given that’s exactly what most current sorcerer subclasses are for. They’re not trying to make every sorcerer a wild mage, they’re just trying out “still learning to control your inherent powers” as the narrative identity for level 1 and 2 sorcerers, since subclasses are all starting at 3rd level now.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Yeah, I’m sure WotC is very aware that people like to use the sorcerer to create highly-themed casters, given that’s exactly what most current sorcerer subclasses are for. They’re not trying to make every sorcerer a wild mage, they’re just trying out “still learning to control your inherent powers” as the narrative identity for level 1 and 2 sorcerers, since subclasses are all starting at 3rd level now.
I would also be fine it they had things like wild surges for the base sorcerer class but each archetype gets their own table so if you have a wild surge as a shadow sorcerer everything will be darkness themed. This would still give them a bit of that randomness and uncontrolled feeling but keep them highly thematic which is what I think most people love about the sorcerer.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I would also be fine it they had things like wild surges for the base sorcerer class but each archetype gets their own table so if you have a wild surge as a shadow sorcerer everything will be darkness themed. This would still give them a bit of that randomness and uncontrolled feeling but keep them highly thematic which is what I think most people love about the sorcerer.
I wouldn’t mind that personally, but randomness is a polarizing thing to make core to a class’s identity. A lot of people will want to play a character with inherent magic and doesn’t have a chance of their spells doing something other than what they intended. Moreover, I doubt WotC would make a different surge table for each sorcerer subclass.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I mean I liked how it was handled in the original 5e playtest. Sorcerer's were will point based 2/3 casters. As they spent will points, they would transform and gain more and more traits of their bloodline.
If they went with this idea I would absolutely love it. This is something that the game doesn't currently have and would feel appropriate. It might take a bit of doing for the wild magic and shadow sorcerer concepts but to me the first could be easily tied to the fey wild while the second to the shadow planes.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'm betting this is the plan. There is some chaos at level 1 and 2 while you learn to control your power, then you pick a subclass and get focused at 3 (or remain unfocused if you choose the Wild Sorcerer subclass).
Don't want it.

No chaos for my natural born illusionist sorcerers please.

IMHO.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Just out of curiousity how would you give the Sorcerer a more central identity as class, whipe maintaining themed builds?
This is just me, and I think from the looks of it I may be in the minority....but I wouldn't.

Like the fighter can represent a guardsman, or a swashbuckler, or brute.

Let the sorcerer vary by spell list and build.

Remove ads