D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

There's a Metamagic option in Tasha's called Transmuted Spell that does just this. Unless that's not "easy" enough.
So you're having to spend your entire metamagic allowance on just changing the damage type to match your character theme?

Yeah sounds wonderful...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
One thing I don't like is the compulsory being a blaster. I don't enjoy it and being forced to lose one precious spell choise on a blasting spell will make things worse.

One thing I don't like is the compulsory being a blaster. I don't enjoy it and being forced to lose one precious spell choise on a blasting spell will make things worse.
The question is whether you'll lose a spell choice or gain a slot with Chaos Bolt.

(Not that I think that the Wild Magic theme should be forced onto sorcerers and definitely think things like Elemental Sorcerers should be easier to create).

Also having a combat cantrip is SOP.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The question is whether you'll lose a spell choice or gain a slot with Chaos Bolt.

(Not that I think that the Wild Magic theme should be forced onto sorcerers and definitely think things like Elemental Sorcerers should be easier to create).

Also having a combat cantrip is SOP.
I only rarely pick combat cantrips. And even more rarely blasting leveled spells.

OB1

Jedi Master
One thing I would love to see is at 2nd level when you get metamagic, in addition to the two choices that cost sorecery points, that you get a third that you choose from Subtle, Distant or Extended that doesn't cost sorcery points to use. Perhaps get a second choice of those at a later level. I think Sorcerers should be able to use metamagic on almost every turn, and I don't think those 3 would necessarily break anything by being always available. I would say that if you use that feature, you still can't use another metamagic on the same spell.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My understanding is that all sorcerers would be getting Chaos Bolt for free. If it came at the cost of one fewer spell choice, that wouldn’t be free.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I hope it isn't the current version of chaos bolt, to me it really doesn't fit the theme of some sorcerers. It's great for wild magic, but if I want a lightning and thunder focused storm sorcerer, chaos bolt really doesn't fit.
They said when you get your subclass at 3rd level, it would change your Chaos Bolt in some way. Speculation right now seems to be that it might allow you to choose an on-theme damage type instead of rolling for it randomly. We’ll have to wait and see how it ends up looking in the packet, but I think it’s a pretty safe bet that you’ll have the option to forego the randomness if you pick a subclass other than wild magic.

…Oh, god, I hope they don’t make the exact same mistake they did in the D&DNext playtest by making Wild Magic the one subclass they show!

Here is the relevent bit.

"We also wanted to build more of a core identity for the sorcerer and the warlock. The warlock and sorcerer does not have core identity at first level. Cleric doesn't have that problem because they do have channel divinity at first level. So what you'll see is that we're delving into innate magic for the sorcerer. So we've taken the concept of some chaos magic in side of you that you don't always have control over. You'll get Chaos Bolt for free"

"Some chaos magic inside of you that you don't always have control over" really sounds like Wild Magic sorcerer got absord into the base class, not just Chaos bolt, an interesting idea, but one I expect to be highly polarizing.

Also it leaves me wondering about the interaction between between the RD&D Sorcerer and the 2014 PHB Wild Magic subclass.

"Some chaos magic inside of you that you don't always have control over" really sounds like Wild Magic sorcerer got absord into the base class, not just Chaos bolt, an interesting idea, but one I expect to be highly polarizing.

Also it leaves me wondering about the interaction between between the RD&D Sorcerer and the 2014 PHB Wild Magic subclass.
Yeah it really makes me worried that it's going to make it a lot harder to build themed sorcerers, which is 90% of the reason I like the class.

Remove ads