D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

I mean I'd want more than just damage type for a subclass chaos bolt, but it's an easy starting point.

I'd also want metamagic type effects which can be applied to it. Thematic ones which suit the subclass. A storm sorcerer might knock people back with it, or cause lightning to arc out and hit a second target. A phoenix sorcerer might leave a spot on the ground burning for a turn, acting as an environmental hazard, or maybe absorb the damage caused as temp HP.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I mean I'd want more than just damage type for a subclass chaos bolt, but it's an easy starting point.

I'd also want metamagic type effects which can be applied to it. Thematic ones which suit the subclass. A storm sorcerer might knock people back with it, or cause lightning to arc out and hit a second target. A phoenix sorcerer might leave a spot on the ground burning for a turn, acting as an environmental hazard, or maybe absorb the damage caused as temp HP.
That would be awesome! Fingers crossed.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

great suggestions

Yaarel

He Mage
I am excited about the Sorcerer being a planar mage. The subclass depends on which plane one physicalizes.

(The astral subclass would include options of celestial, fiend, aster, or aberrant.)

A central trope of the D&D Sorcerer is the body itself is magical. A Sorcerer is like a living magic wand. Learning how to wield sorcery is more like learning how to fly a plane.

Generally speaking, I want the spell descriptions to delete references to spell components. Instead, each subclass should decide what the spell component is depending on the concept of the class. For example most Bard subclasses use a Verbal component to cast spells, whether meditative chanting, crafted song, or oratory command. But some Bard subclasses might instead spellcast by means of a musical instrument as a focus or of a somatic dance.

In the case of the Sorcerer, the class must never need amaterial component because the body itself is the material component. Maybe most Sorcerer subclasses use a somatic component to spell cast, since this emphasizes the theme of bodily magic, whether Avatar elemental bender dance, Bewitched wiggling her nose, or Vecna hand signs.

Because the body itself is magical, it is one of the few spellcasting concepts where Constitution makes sense as the casting ability and as the key ability for the Sorcerer class. Exerting the body is how the Sorcerer manifests magic. The investment in Constitution also beefs up competence in melee combat which also makes sense for the Sorcerer class.

Using the Constitution as the spellcasting ability emphasizes how the Sorcerer isnt using the intellect but actually the body itself.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Except we already have 'generic arcane caster' class.
That didn't make the playtest sorcerer palatable.
We don't have a shapeshifting 'become the monster' class like the playtest sorcerer was. And almost 10 years on, we still don't have anything which can replicate the playtest sorcerer, while we have four arcane casters with 9th level spells.
While interesting, "shapeshifting 'become the monster'" never screamed "sorcerer".

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Just as the Warlock innately gets Eldritch Blast as part of the class automatically, Sorcerer is getting Chaos Bolt. I leaves me wonder if Wild Surges will be something all Sorcerers have to deal with.

They said its to give Sorcerers more of identity, the Chaos bolt emphasising innate magic (how I'm not sure) with subclasses altering the Chaos bolt some how.

It feels almost like they are trying to bring the Sorceror in line the movie Sorcerer with Simon the Sorcerer, whose obviously a Wild Magic sorcerer, but also apprenticed to a Cleric which could hint at Divine Soul as well (both for his hertiage).
Wait, wait. Source?

Remove ads