D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Wait, wait. Source?
The fact that sorcerers would be getting chaos bolt as a lvl 1 ability was in the recent conference last week. They did not mention more about the ability, or if the spell was changing just that it will help to give the sorcerer class a core identity. In a week or two when the next play test is released we will be able to read it for ourselves. Personally I am hoping that once you get your subclass at level three you can choose to always have the bolt do a specific type of damage.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
The three things I would like to see from a sorcerer are
1: spell points instead of slots. This would give them a mechanical uniqueness l.
2: An easy way to change damage type to one that feels appropriate for your subclass
3: Limited spells known but the ability to cast any spell available to them by paying double the cost. This would give your sorcerer a very thematic list but also give them that feeling of channeling raw magic if they could just any spell but it be taxing and maybe even a chance for a wild surge or uncontrolled results.

In 3rd ed Al Qadim there was the Ghul lord who could just free form spells and to me that is the feeling I would want from a sorcerer

Staffan

Legend
The three things I would like to see from a sorcerer are
1: spell points instead of slots. This would give them a mechanical uniqueness l.
I appreciate this, but it would make multi-classing hard.
2: An easy way to change damage type to one that feels appropriate for your subclass
I really don't like this. I get that you'd want e.g. a storm sorcerer to primarily do thunder and lightning damage, but the way to do that is to add more spells instead of just element-shifting existing ones.

Also, I'd want more blast spells to have thematic effects beyond damage. Fire magic should set things on fire. Cold should slow things down. Thunder should throw things around and deafen people. That sort of thing.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I appreciate this, but it would make multi-classing hard.

I really don't like this. I get that you'd want e.g. a storm sorcerer to primarily do thunder and lightning damage, but the way to do that is to add more spells instead of just element-shifting existing ones.

Also, I'd want more blast spells to have thematic effects beyond damage. Fire magic should set things on fire. Cold should slow things down. Thunder should throw things around and deafen people. That sort of thing.
Only as hard as multi classing a warlock.

The problem is that I don't think they will be adding any new spells. I took would prefer just more new thematic spells but for me this is a compromise.

I compleatly agree that blast spells need more thematic effects it is one of the things I love about level up sorcerer is how when they change the damage of a spell to their signature element then it grants them additional thematic effects.

Clint_L

Hero
Trouble is because of WotC's fear of new classes, quite a few archtypes were never covered properly. Hopefully 1dnd is actually willing to release more.

(meanwhile pessimist me fears that even artificer won't be updated to 1dnd)
WotC has already stated that the artificer is recent enough that it was designed with the same basic principles and doesn't need an update, just a few errata.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness

There's a Metamagic option in Tasha's called Transmuted Spell that does just this. Unless that's not "easy" enough.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
There's a Metamagic option in Tasha's called Transmuted Spell that does just this. Unless that's not "easy" enough.
It is but to me a shadow sorcerers should be able to do it for necromancy for free, a storm sorcerer for lightning, a dragon for their breath weapon type, aberrant psychic, and wild a random roll to determine type. As it is you can spend your points to change the damage but you will quickly run out of points

WotC has already stated that the artificer is recent enough that it was designed with the same basic principles and doesn't need an update, just a few errata.
It does need more subclasses though.

And the class structure doesn't follow the 1dnd standard. For example no epic boon at lvl 20.

It doesn't need an update as much as some of the PHB classes, but it's not exactly 1dnd levels of class structure.

Remove ads