• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror eats Favoured Soul

gyor

Legend
In the three questions column on the 5e site it mentions that Favoured Soul could be merged into Sorceror spells and as such some Sorcerors could be divine or even other power sources instead of Arcane depending on Origin.

And Warocks maybe tied to Patron flavour wise and some interesting examples were given Like a Archon Paragon (old school Archon, not elemental).

gyor

Legend
Actually it makes sense, both classes were born in 3.5 and have simular fluff and mechanics.

The Favoured Soul was put to be the Sorceror for the Cleric.

Really I can see an agruement that the Favoured Soul and the Beguiler were the first real bloodlines/origins for the Sorceror, even though they were seperate classes (Beguiler even mentions that Beguilers are born sorcerors with special training and they have a possible origin in a monster called a Beguiler , ,a type of Fey who had Beguiler as a favoured class ironically.).

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I'd be fine with a divine-inspired sorcerer. I also note that they mention an archon as a potential Warlock pact - great! - it's about time they provided a non-evil, non-dubiously neutral option.

Sammael

Adventurer
Anything that stops the proliferation of classes is a good thing in my book, and if they are going with the "bloodline caster" fluff for the sorcerer (rather than "inner power" or some other ambiguous explanation), it makes a lot of sense for both favored souls and beguilers.

Klaus

First Post
I love the possibility of an "arcane bloodline" and "divine bloodline" sorcerer (and also the specific pacts for the Warlock)!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I really like what it appears they are doing by going back to just having a giant umbrella called 'Magic', rather than saying there are "different kinds" of magic. Thus splitting classes into "divine magic" or "arcane magic" or "primal magic" for this edition does not seem necessary for the stories they are telling with their classes.

"Arcane" magic is now just a descriptive term for the Wizard... it's not a specialized brand of magical energy or power. Which is good, because it means that Warlocks do not deal in "arcane magic" anymore, which in 4E never really made sense. Warlocks received their magical ability from a patron... pretty much the same way Clerics did-- except the Cleric's patrons were gods, whereas the Warlock's patrons were other powerful extra-dimensional entities. So why that meant the Warlock used "arcane magic" never really made a whole heap of sense. Couple that with the Sorcerer having an internal font of magical energy (which was much closer to what the psionists had than the wizards did), and you have a "power source" that was all over the map.

So by eliminating the idea of putting each class into a "power source" of different types of magic and instead just have each class acquire and use this generic and universal substance called "magic" (in whatever manner they choose)... you can have all the spellcasting classes have whatever story attached to them they want.

In this particular case... a "divine Sorcerer" would basically be the equivalent to the 3E Favored Soul and the 4E Invoker. A PC has an internal font of magical energy within them that they can tap into-- and that internal font was created/born in whatever manner and through the efforts of whatever being/source that the player chooses. And this means you can morph several different class concepts INTO the Sorcerer, cutting down on the number of classes.

A god puts a bit of his divine essence into a baby to be born? A Sorcerer with a Divine Origin.

A dragon left its mark on a PCs bloodline long ago? A Sorcerer with a Draconic Origin.

A baby is born at the cross of several threads of the Weave or over several ley lines? A Sorcerer with an Arcane Origin.

A bloodline that descended from beings who were born and lived within the Elemental Chaos? A Sorcerer with a Wild Mage Origin.

Insane beings from the Far Realm have broken through the veil and imprinted themselves on a baby within the womb? A Sorcerer with the Psionic Origin.

Etc. etc.

erf_beto

First Post
I'd be more than ok with that.

If we loosen up the Power Source from the spell (i.e., it doesn't matter who/what is powering your fireball or cure light wounds, the effects/keywords are the same), just tweaking the spell list accordingly is enough to have multiple concepts of spontaneous caster in a single class, just like Wizard and Cleric are bases for many different concepts. And if the dragon bloodline is any indication, we can have very different sorcerers belonging in the same class.

The name of the class will probably irk some people (maybe even me), but class boat is a bigger problem IMO.

tlantl

First Post
So what are we going to have with these little wonders?

Are there going to be barely suppressed angels and devils trying to escape these character's earthly shells each time their wills are depleted?

It does make sense now that the vancian cleric usurped the favored soul's casting style.

So now we'll have clerics spamming their highest level spells then shooting radiant beams from their eyes as they waste all of their spell energy, or maybe taking on the form of some powerful demon or other evil being when their will points are gone.

I wonder how many people will cast everything just so they can reap the benefits of their partial transformations.

Who knows maybe it won't be so bad, maybe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads