• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror eats Favoured Soul

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The more I think about the warlock should be in a later expansion. That way the level of detail the class needs can be addressed fully. Also I think it's flavor is too outlandish for the base game (my opinion).

Well, here's the thing... thus far it sounds as though there are only going to be four classes that do not have "outlandish" flavor-- the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard. Those four will be the more 'standard' classes. The same way the human, elf, dwarf, and halfling will be the four more 'standard' races. They will all have a fairly standard level of specificity and detail... enough to make them interesting, but not so much that they can't be plugged into almost any setting, or so weird that they seem more... "advanced"(?)... if that's the way you'd put it.

Every OTHER class or race has been indicated to be further "out there" than those four base ones (even those classes that traditionally have been more 'standard' in previous editions). And by "further out there", they mean that they will have a greater level of specificity in terms of fluff (the Rangers having a code of conduct and an organizational structure... the Warlocks having Patrons and Pacts that are beyond something like "Devil!" or "Archfey!"... the Tieflings being more setting specific, the Halforks or Drow not being nearly as populous in any setting, etc. etc.)

So the question then becomes... what appears in that very first Player's Handbook? JUST the four standard classes and races... or those four PLUS a number of the more esoteric classes and races (of which the Warlock applies)?

For my money... I don't see how you could possibly NOT include more of the esoteric ones in the first Player's Handbook. Because those will all seem rather cool, and fun to play and look through. Plus, you need SOMETHING to put in the PH... and I don't expect there to be magic items or such a huge list of spells in comparison to previous books.

But for those people who want just the "basic version" of D&D, with JUST the standard four races and classes? The answer is quite simple-- BEGINNER'S BOXED SET. Levels 1 to 5... only the F/R/C/W and H/E/D/Hlg. THAT'S where keeping the core standard and more simple makes the most sense.

tlantl

First Post
But for those people who want just the "basic version" of D&D, with JUST the standard four races and classes? The answer is quite simple-- BEGINNER'S BOXED SET. Levels 1 to 5... only the F/R/C/W and H/E/D/Hlg. THAT'S where keeping the core standard and more simple makes the most sense.

Except the developers have already stated at least twice in podcasts and Q&A sessions that they don't like to put out products where the customer has to buy the game, or content for the game, twice.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a mini box with a stripped down version of the game in it.

I could never dream of buying myself, or anyone else, a beginner box for D&D. I'll give them a players handbook and invite them to sit in on my game.

If these guys don't stop adding difficulty to the characters the elegance of the first play test is going to be lost in all of these complications and will end up just as inaccessible as 3e and 4e has become for new players.

I think they need to stop trying to get cute with the monsters too.

Sadrik

First Post
DEFCON 1, excellent straw man argument!

What my thoughts are really... many classes should be included but that the warlock is a bit further out than the others. In fact I think psionics should be included before the warlock. After all psionics were in the phb 1e book well before the warlock was ever conceived. So for my money, I would like to see a psion in the PHB before a warlock, ymmv!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
DEFCON 1, excellent straw man argument!

What my thoughts are really... many classes should be included but that the warlock is a bit further out than the others. In fact I think psionics should be included before the warlock. After all psionics were in the phb 1e book well before the warlock was ever conceived. So for my money, I would like to see a psion in the PHB before a warlock, ymmv!

Well, then thank you for your opinion. It has been noted.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads