• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror eats Favoured Soul

Ichneumon

First Post
The proper place for Verenestra and all other warlock patrons is the Monster Manual. I, for one, would love to see a Fey section alongside the demons and devils, and their presence in the MM would make them "real" enough to justify including in a campaign.

Since warlocks make pacts with individual beings, it makes sense for the pact writeups to be focused around individuals. Sure, describing it as a contract with Generic SomeFey, Mysterious Starbeing or Another DevilPrince is safe, and doesn't offend anyone, but also strikes me as a little bland. I'd rather be offered tentacles, baboons and water guns! Then I can use them, or be inspired to invent something even freakier.

As for Verenestra herself, sure, you may not wish to include her in your campaign just because her name appears in the warlock class section. But unless your setting already includes a detailed fey court - why not? If it does include a detailed fey court, then there's probably an archfey dedicated to beauty who could take her place. If your setting has no archfey at all, thus invalidating a fey pact, I doubt that anything Wizards could do would appease you.

In further news, I am fully in favor of the sorcerer having a divine origin on its origins list.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Are you saying you actually have a campaign setting where summoning baboons IS NOT an integral part of the game?!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?

D&D IS PREDICATED ON SUMMONING BABOONS!!! WITHOUT BABOONS, IT ISN'T D&D!!! ;)

No, there's a baboon summoning high power. But she is neutral good, favors fey and plants, and hates demons. Converting Demogorgon into Fifi would practically be a rewrite.

I mean, why play D&D if you DON'T SUMMON BABOONS?!

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Hmm, I wonder if they could do this to make a healer/nuker hybrid sorcerer, like the draconic origin is a melee/nuker hybrid?

Let's say the core Sorcerer spells stay the same, and the Angelic origin has d6 hit points and no armor/weapon proficiencies, but adds the following Sorcerous Powers:

Level 1: Healing Touch (1d8+mod healing, touch range)
Level 4: Divine Word (1d6 healing in 20ft radius)
Level 6: Touch of Grace (4d8+mod healing, touch range)

Would a class that could combine near-wizardly nuking with near-clerical healing (and the flexibility to combine the two) be balanced by having crappy defenses? I'd love it if this were possible - it'd be a way to add a non-Vancian healer without needing to add a whole extra class to the PHB.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What about a Psionic Heritage Sorcerer.

Also certainly could work, under the assumption that the spell list had the requisite old-timey spells like Telepathy, Clairvoyance, ESP, etc.

The big question is whether psionics as a system is popular enough that players would want more than a single psionic class. If it was... then obviously the psionic heritage sorcerer wouldn't be enough. But if a single psion is all that is really wanted/needed... then putting it inside the shell of the sorcerer would work fine.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Also certainly could work, under the assumption that the spell list had the requisite old-timey spells like Telepathy, Clairvoyance, ESP, etc.

The big question is whether psionics as a system is popular enough that players would want more than a single psionic class. If it was... then obviously the psionic heritage sorcerer wouldn't be enough. But if a single psion is all that is really wanted/needed... then putting it inside the shell of the sorcerer would work fine.

The Sorcererous Powers could be a perfect way to deliver the psionic action, I remember earlier talk of a Psionic Background or Theme: "Awakened".

Steely_Dan

First Post

The Sorcererous Powers could be a perfect way to deliver the psionic action, I remember earlier talk of a Psionic Background or Theme: "Awakened".

Steely_Dan

First Post

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Probably. It can be a placeholder for a true psion class later.
---

So how many sorcerer bloodlines do you think they will include?

Dragon (d8 HD+ martial weapons and all armor+ breath attack)

Arcane (d4 HD + wizard stuff)
Favored Soul (d8 + cleric spells)
"Spirit" Shaman (d8 + druid spells + spirit summons)
Beguiler (d6 + cloak casting + scheme-lite)
"Dread" Necromancer (d4+ necrostuff)
Storm (??)
Wild (??)
Cosmic (??)

Sadrik

First Post
The more I think about the warlock should be in a later expansion. That way the level of detail the class needs can be addressed fully. Also I think it's flavor is too outlandish for the base game (my opinion).

I think the sorcerer should be more standardized in its hit die. It feels like different classes. A class should have one hit die.

Letting the sorcerer pick from all magic is fine by me. Although limited might be fine. Perhaps a fey sorcerer allows them to select Druid spells. A celestial/infernal heritage might give cleric spells and psionic could be psionic spells and draconic might be wizard spells. I would also be fine with them having access to all spells of every type period. Let the player decide their focus and how their heritage is affected.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads