• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror eats Favoured Soul

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I never saw the Invoker as a Divine Sorcerer, I've always seen them as a Divine Wizard that ate the 3e Truenamer.
Yeah, WotC made that pretty explicit -- the Invoker has the "Controller" role, and can take multi-target At-Will powers at Level 1: Astral Wind (blast 3), Grasping Shards (burst 1 in 10), Hand of Radiance (target 1 - 3 beings), Vanguard's Lightning (burst 1 in 10), and Visions of Blood (blast 3).

I wasn't speaking from a mechanical point of view... I was talking more about the fluff of the class. The Invoker was describe as being infused with the power of the god and being able to release that power, rather than praying for, receiving and then channeling the god's power like the Cleric did.

That's why I said the Invoker was like the Favored Soul or "Divine Sorcerer"... because of the 4 divine classes in 4E... the Invoker was the one described that had the essence of the god within him. The others all acquired the god's power through other means.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Now here's another question... would there / could there / should there be a Warden-type Origin for the Sorcerer too?

If we think about it... there are probably going to be 4 full-on spellcasters that gain their magical abilities from outside sources... the Cleric will be granted his power from his god; the Warlock will be granted/steal his power from his patron; the Druid will pull his power from the earth's energy and/or granted his power from the spirits of the land; the Wizard will pull his power out of the arcane ley energy that is all around us.

The Sorcerer seems to be the catch-all for those spellcasters who have the magic within them, rather than acquiring it from an external source. The Draconic Origin has a dragon's essence inside him, the Arcane Origin is suffused with arcane energy, the Divine Origin has a god's power within him, the Wild Mage Origin has unfettered and unchecked arcane energy inside. It stands to reason that whatever font of magical power which gives/grants the Druid his spellcasting ability (whether it be primal spirits or the natural planet itself), would also quite possibly be found within someone a la a "primal Sorcerer". In 4E terms... this character was called the Warden.

Do you think somewhere down the line, a Primal Sorcerer Origin could be created (or would it even be necessary) to describe a character who has the essence of the earth/spirits within him?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
My fear is that the psion will go away and just become another sorcerer. Mechanically, it would fit. But the psion is its own thing.

Hrm...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I like the idea of divine sorcerers.

I am VERY iffy on specific patrons for warlocks. If the patrons don't follow generic trends, it means extra work or possible bannings as DMs struggle to alter the patrons to match their settings.

My setting doesn't have a Gith Lich Queen to draw a pact with. If Verenstra is not very generic on fey fluff, she is out too and I'll have to hope they include a generic fey pact patron.

Or my players will have to hope I feel willing to write up a fey pact that matches my setting.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
But if the fey pact is generic... wouldn't you STILL have to write up a more specific pact for your setting?

Not really because it wouldn't conflict as much.

If they make a demon pact and the only on in the PHB is Demogorgon who grant tentacles, baboon summons, and murky water guns; then he and is pact are useless to most people with original settings. If Demogorgon grants generic demon stuff like fire, strength, and chaos; he'll fit in more settings.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Not really because it wouldn't conflict as much.

If they make a demon pact and the only on in the PHB is Demogorgon who grant tentacles, baboon summons, and murky water guns; then he and is pact are useless to most people with original settings.

Are you saying you actually have a campaign setting where summoning baboons IS NOT an integral part of the game?!? HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!?

D&D IS PREDICATED ON SUMMONING BABOONS!!! WITHOUT BABOONS, IT ISN'T D&D!!! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads