Special Conversion Thread: The Ghazneths

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Shade said:
Yeah, it is no wonder these have remained unconverted so long. :eek:

No kidding. From those Candlekeep threads, it seems that they can't be killed except as a novel plot device -- don't know how we should address that. Ugh.

So, type: either native outsider or aberration or even fey would work for me, I guess. Seems like they really need to be tied to magic. There is the issue that they can change back and forth from undead, but I think their regeneration abilities (in your first post) make that kind of moot.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm still leaning toward native outsider. Here's why:

Outsider Type: An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.

Native Subtype: A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name).

Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.

I don't know whether they sleep, but they definitely need to "feed" on magic.

freyar

You have me convinced. Native outsider it is.

All ghazneths absorb magic they contact. To do so, they must touch a magical item or be the target of an item or spell and remain in contact for one round for each level of the spell or item. Magical items are considered to have the following levels:

Charged magical items: 5 levels per charge remaining.

"Permanent" magical items: 100 levels per ability possessed.

Use of any magical item's ability against a ghazneth: 5 levels per use.

Spells that expire in fewer rounds than their level are absorbed instantly, but the ghazneth remains stunned 1 round per spell level. A ghazneth can store one level of magic for each year of age.

After absorbing a level of magic, a ghazneth can expend it as noted in its individual description. Ghazneths temporarily depleted of magic cannot use their special powers, but they can still fly, fight, and move normally.

Shall we work on this bit next? Maybe we should look up the spellfire rules from the FRCS for inspiration?

freyar

Well, spellfire works like a rod of absorption at least in terms of absorbing spell energy. So how about this? Maybe a bit clunky.

A ghazneth can ready an action to absorb spells or spell-like abilities as a rod of absorption, although the ghazneth is stunned for one round for each level that it absorbs. In addition, a ghazneth can absorb charges from charged magical items, absorbing one charge per round of contact. A charge grants as many levels as appropriate to the effect (for example, a charge from a wand of magic missile gives 1 level, but a charge from a wand of fireball gives 3 levels). Charges of non-spell effects grant one level for every two caster levels of the effect (rounded up). The charges are forever lost to the magic item, as if they had been used normally.

Ghazneths may also spend one hour to discharge a permanent magical item (or one with daily charges) completely, rendering it a mundane item. This ability requires continuous contact. The ghazneth gains 10 spell levels per spell level of each effect of the magic item (or 1/2 the caster level of the effect, rounded up).

A ghazneth may store one level for each year of its age.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I started her up in Homebrews.

Combat: Not one to seek out combat, Suzara is nevertheless quite capable of defending herself. Because of her incredible speed, she receives a -7 Initiative bonus during any round she is not surprised, while her supernatural Strength (19) provides a +7 damage bonus to her attacks.

Str 19 translates to 24 per the conversion guide. Shall we also set Dex to 24-25 to account for the +7 bonus?

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Sounds good. Did you think the Absorb Magic needs any more work?

I'm not sure yet. Let's hammer out the basics and go from there.

Currently, we've got Str 24, Dex 25, Int 14. We still need Con, Wis, Cha.

freyar

Judging by the other physical stats, I guess Con would make sense to be around 24-25. I guess the special abilities will be Cha-based, so Cha 18-21? Wis can probably be down around average, though. What do you think?

freyar

Where did summon tanar'ri come from? :p

How do you want to do the cold iron/regeneration thing? Rather than regeneration, I guess I'd suggest DR 10 or even 15 cold iron along with fast healing 11. Then maybe some kind of rejuvenation ability like ghosts.

Remove ads