• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Speculation on the next UA in April

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
they have hinted that certain classes are getting new weapon traits of some type, so that is what I am expecting. But not sure how it will be implemented.
Because they haven't displayed a bunch of weapons yet and rogues get some martial weapons, I don't the whole list is changing. Just the redundant and underpowered ones likely.

So since fighting style is linked to Warriors in feats and feats not have level prereq, it is likely that either

1) We are getting upgraded Greater Fighting styles as feats "Greater Archery: You have +4 damage rolls with ranged weapons"

or

2) We are getting superheroic Advanced Fighting styles as feats "Iaijutsu/Quick-Draw Fighting: When you are wielding a melee slashing weapon in one hand and no other weapons nor shield, you gain a bonus to AC, Initative rolls, and damage rolls with that weapon equal to your Charisma modifier."

mellored

Legend
1) We are getting upgraded Greater Fighting styles as feats "Greater Archery: You have +4 damage rolls with ranged weapons"

or

2) We are getting superheroic Advanced Fighting styles as feats "Iaijutsu/Quick-Draw Fighting: When you are wielding a melee slashing weapon in one hand and no other weapons nor shield, you gain a bonus to AC, Initative rolls, and damage rolls with that weapon equal to your Charisma modifier."
Both of those are just "bigger numbers".

IMO, they need to do something besides "bigger numbers".
At very least "bigger numbers for my allies".
Or if you really want bigger numbers, than allow Str or Dex to go above 20.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Both of those are just "bigger numbers".

IMO, they need to do something besides "bigger numbers".
At very least "bigger numbers for my allies".
Or if you really want bigger numbers, than allow Str or Dex to go above 20.
it's likely just gonna be bigger numbers.

dave2008

Legend
Because they haven't displayed a bunch of weapons yet and rogues get some martial weapons, I don't the whole list is changing. Just the redundant and underpowered ones likely.

So since fighting style is linked to Warriors in feats and feats not have level prereq, it is likely that either

or

I was wondering if they were bringing back the weapon feats from the UA many years ago. We use them since that UA so it wouldn't be anything new to us, but I am expecting something like that - but may as a class feature and not a feat.

Pauln6

Hero
I was wondering if they were bringing back the weapon feats from the UA many years ago. We use them since that UA so it wouldn't be anything new to us, but I am expecting something like that - but may as a class feature and not a feat.
I think there is definitely a bit of push and pull. They don't want to make the class too complex but all the 5e options presented so far are lacklustre.

That's why I think putting fighter moves in a silo like channel divinity might be the way they go. It's a proven mechanic on other popular classes. Second wind could be shoved in it as one of the options, I suppose.

If crits are going to be limited to weapon damage then giving fighters a brutal critical extra damage die actually becomes a bit tasty. Crits for other classes might br a bit sad though.

I wonder if expanding the definition of weapon damage might help to cover things like Colossus slayer, which would boost Ranger damage slightly. Sneak attack and combat superiority I'm on the fence over. The former because killing someone outright feels thematic and the latter because they are often just saved up for Crits.

Maybe a sneak attack needs its own rule, e.g. add 2d6 on a crit or possibly extra Sneak damage should only apply to assassins in the surprise round.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Noticed something about the text

2ND LEVEL: FIGHTING STYLE
You have honed your martial prowess and gain
the Fighting Style: Defense feat, or you gain
another Fighting Style feat of your choice.
Whenever you gain a feat at later levels,
Fighting Style feats are among your options,
even though you aren’t a member of the Warrior
group.

It negates the Warrior class group requirement but not level or ability score requirements.

wizard71

Explorer
I think the warriors will be the next playtest as they have been hinting at giving weapons certain properties. If so, I would like to see something like this

Blunt Weapons - Chance to restrain (I feel this is much more fair than a stun while accomplishing nearly the same result. You can attack at disadvantage instead of no attacks. You can't move or use bonus actions & reactions) on a roll of a natural 20. DC is 6+Str+Prof Bonus

Slashing Weapons - Offer parry as a reaction with a +2 for one handed or +4 for two-handed weapons. This reaction can be used to aid an ally within 5 feet as well as self

Piercing Weapons - 1 Bleed on a natural 20. Multiple bleeds stack up to 4 and last for 10 rounds or until the creature regains 1 hit point per bleed by any means

Ranged Weapons (all) - Increased Crit on a 19-20. Stacks with Champions subclass ability

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I think the warriors will be the next playtest as they have been hinting at giving weapons certain properties. If so, I would like to see something like this

Blunt Weapons - Chance to restrain (I feel this is much more fair than a stun while accomplishing nearly the same result. You can attack at disadvantage instead of no attacks. You can't move or use bonus actions & reactions) on a roll of a natural 20. DC is 6+Str+Prof Bonus

Slashing Weapons - Offer parry as a reaction with a +2 for one handed or +4 for two-handed weapons. This reaction can be used to aid an ally within 5 feet as well as self

Piercing Weapons - 1 Bleed on a natural 20. Multiple bleeds stack up to 4 and last for 10 rounds or until the creature regains 1 hit point per bleed by any means

Ranged Weapons (all) - Increased Crit on a 19-20. Stacks with Champions subclass ability
I was thinking they might incorporate the Crusher, Piercer, and Slasher feats from Tasha's into base weapon properties (minus the ASIs, of course).

Clint_L

Hero
I don't think wild shape is going well enough. I hope to see a re-do for druids.

I think all the other playtest classes are better than their 2014 versions.

But yea, warriors next.
It’s too soon for another attempt at Druid. They need time to process feedback and internally test new options. This version whiffed pretty hard.

I think warriors come next and am really interested in what they do with monk. That class is up there with druid and sorcerer for really needing work.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

I would like to see less "offload the spinning plates needed for some level of tactical grid combat to matter onto the GM". As long as attack>move>attack>move & "sure you can run circles around opponents no risk" remains all of these kind of mechanics are just dumping their work onto the GM. If they include things like "on the target's turn each round x happens" it's not even trying to soften the load. Not having the old move action/standard action division of movement & action or meaningful risk of movement within threatened squares just makes it trivial to spread these kind of effects everywhere

As a GM I can mark out an area that represents an AOE spell like web or whatever & everyone can tell at a glance what is/isn't impacted by it without any doubts or suspicions. Not so with "no that one's hit by X, it was the one we killed that was hit by X honest" or whatever other second guessing effect movement post application

Remove ads