• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Compendium - Which spells have been altered?

Tzarevitch

First Post
Has anyone out there compiled a list of spells now listed in the Spell Compendium which have been changed from earlier versions? By "changed" I mean significant change, not just a name change (i.e. change in spell level or in basic operation of the spell).

It was nice of WoTC to produce a list of spells whose names had changed but I would have found it more useful if they told me which ones had operational changes that way I don't have to look up every spell that I use.

Tzarevitch

Razz

Banned
Banned
Tzarevitch said:
Has anyone out there compiled a list of spells now listed in the Spell Compendium which have been changed from earlier versions? By "changed" I mean significant change, not just a name change (i.e. change in spell level or in basic operation of the spell).

It was nice of WoTC to produce a list of spells whose names had changed but I would have found it more useful if they told me which ones had operational changes that way I don't have to look up every spell that I use.

Tzarevitch

I totally agree. I sure would like to know what received the spell changes to the spell itself.

Anyone gathered up a list yet or can tell us little by little? I know Heart Ripper is one.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Someone mentioned in another thread that Awaken Undead from Liber Mortis had its duration changed from 'permanent' to 'instantaneous'.

fafhrd

First Post
Off the top of my head:

Reciprocal Gyre went from being invaluble to an oddity. It now does a 1d12 per spell on the target.
Familiar pocket is now 1st instead of 2nd level.
Anticipate teleportation is now 3rd instead of 4th and has a duration of 24 hours. I think the greater version dropped a level as well. Not sure on that one.
Greater mage armor now has no material component(nice).
Reality maelstrom is now 9th level.
Hail of stone is now a wiz/sor 1 spell.
Quill blast has changed significantly.

I'm sure that's just scratching the surface.

Edit: This one might make some of you nitpickers happy. Defenestrating sphere now comes with actual defenestration! If there is a window nearby, the victim is automatically chucked in that direction. :D

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by fafhrd
Edit: This one might make some of you nitpickers happy. Defenestrating sphere now comes with actual defenestration! If there is a window nearby, the victim is automatically chucked in that direction.

Sweet! I'm not a nitpicker, but once I learned what EXACTLY defenestration was, the spell kinda disappointed me a little. Not anymore. :)

DM_Matt

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
Sweet! I'm not a nitpicker, but once I learned what EXACTLY defenestration was, the spell kinda disappointed me a little. Not anymore. :)

Now all we need is an NPC named "Prague."

Zjelani

First Post
I don't have a copy yet but just flipped through it at the store (got a suspicion that I'm going to find it under the Christmas tree). So I'm not positive, but I was looking up spells from my Dragon article that was used (woohoo!), and I had sink monster and sink object as separate spells at least in my draft, and there's just a general sink spell in there. It also appeared worded differently, but I was going from memory. My copy of that Dragon issue is buried in my books at home, so maybe they got combined in the final article. Also, it may very well have been pulled from a different source than my article. I'm pretty sure not all of my spells from that article were published.

Also, my swim of the elasmosaurus and mass swim of the elasmosaurus were renamed to just swim and mass swim for obvious reasons (my article was dinosaur-themed), but I don't think they were included in the renamed spell list. Though, again, they may be similar spells from a different source.

Testament

First Post
fafhrd said:
Off the top of my head:

Reciprocal Gyre went from being invaluble to an oddity. It now does a 1d12 per spell on the target.

Damn. No more "Die Cleric, DIE!" Then again, it did an incredible amount of damage for a spell of its school (which doesn't normally do damage!) and level.

Quill blast has changed significantly.

You mean its no longer Xd6 negative levels, reflex for half? Is it actually something resembling balanced?

Remove ads