D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
The Coral Curse (Barrington & Kid)

The young lad Jack walks down the beach a ways with Barrington. It is still early, the sun just having crested over Nassau. Detritus from last night's storm litters the sands - coconuts, dead starfish, rigging tangled with seaweed, chunks of wood, and broken barrels. As they draw near, Jack hesitates. "Sorry, guvner, they say she's cursed. M' mother may 'ave been a sorry trollop but she warned me stay clear o' curses."

Groaning in the wet sands, the beached schooner seems far less ominous in the daylight. A fine ship. And one badly in need of repairs. The clink of glass comes from the deck, and there is someone muttering...or perhaps singing a sea shanty.

OOC: Ok, [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] that's your cue :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Colonial Hotel (Katerina, Nia, Etienne)

"Indeed," agrees du Tourbillon. "You and messiuer Barrington are cut from quite a different cloth! His knowledge of naval tactics and gunnery came highly recommended. I do hope you and he can bridge your differences." Listening attentively to Katerina and Nia report on the status of the crew and ship, du Tourbillon sips his coffee, nodding politely here, glancing at his man Bedouin there. "Well then, it sounds like you have an excellent start."

A bit taken off guard at Nia's question, the Frenchman clears his throat and at last manages to make eye contact with Nia. It's clear there is a look of surprised recognition on his face. The storm. The dark heart of the sea. They both had seen it. "No, no other enemies in Nassau. In truth, I thought I'd evaded The Seawolf and her mysterious captain. I would keep my eye on one Read Wallace, however, a privateer putting together a rival expedition for La Gloriosa. And...ah...forgive my earlier comment, I had assumed you were madame Corazon's servant...I did not realize you were a free woman."

du Tourbillon chuckles lightly at Etienne's introduction. "I think you've mistaken me for Blackbeard. Though if it's the French market you're after I suspect introductions could be made..." He gestures to Etienne indicating he has no objection to the man displaying his wares.

Quickleaf

Legend
Safehouse (Old Zef & Caillou)

The grizzled sea dog curls his lips into a snarl at Old Zef. "You and I both know there's no way you're letting me leave here alive. I've seen your faces. I know who the Tengu King really is. Why don't you spare us both the chit-chat and cut to the chase, dwarf?" D'avard struggles against the ropes again, but the mending cantrip has strengthened the ropes as they were, his bulging muscles straining in futility.

peterka99

First Post
During a few minutes, Etienne shows his ware to impress the patrons. He got felt hats and scarfs, Indian necklaces and semi-precious jewels, fur stoles and vests. He hope his performance will impress the financier and the potential clients.

He then turns to Du Tourbillon. He says, softly, "I know you’re an estimate financier. I don't see why the Frenchmen should get these fine goods first when the good Antillean and Creole society should obtain these at outrageous prices back from Europe. I'm sure this fine felt halt would fit a Gentilhomme like you like any courtier back in Versailles. This is a token of my gratitude. I'm sure you can introduce me to the Creole society from Guadeloupe and Martinique and you know the notables of Nassau as well as this Blackbeard."

He then address the entire assembly:
"Blackbeard… Is he a dwarf ? I'm looking for an old one known as Zef here in Nassau. Is he the same person ? "

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina had become annoyed when the man selling goods interrupted their conversation - only she knew what a hurry they were in so she tried to remain calm and polite. Her ears perked up however at the mention of her Opa. Knowing Zef this was probably trouble.

"Si, I know him Senor. What is this about?"

Fenris

Adventurer
The grizzled sea dog curls his lips into a snarl at Old Zef. "You and I both know there's no way you're letting me leave here alive. I've seen your faces. I know who the Tengu King really is. Why don't you spare us both the chit-chat and cut to the chase, dwarf?" D'avard struggles against the ropes again, but the mending cantrip has strengthened the ropes as they were, his bulging muscles straining in futility.

Zef pulls up a chair and faces Da'vard though from a distance. "Ok, first answer me how you contracted lycanthropy. Then what can you tell us to buy yourself a merciful death. Or perhaps you have enough information to get dropped off on Hispaniola?"

peterka99

First Post
Etienne remarked the senora wariness. In a pirate den, it should be normal... This Zef may be a bandit or owe her money...

"I don't have any grudge with him, nor he is a friend. Just another client. I'm just delivering him a mystic item from the dark continental forest. A djab issue. Is he a friend or a foe of yours ?

Last edited:

[section]The bottle fell with a klunk to the salt-bleached planks of the deck. Kid blinked. And frowned. He reached out a hand to grab at the bottle, fingers grasping air. The bottle belligerently defied his grasp. "Why'sit so far?" Kid whined, grabbing again in vain. The decking lurched. Kid shook his head, sending flying errant strands of hair. "Whole ship's tiltin'. Storm brewin'?" Kid looked up, the bottle momentarily forgotten. He squinted at the sky, trying to make out rain clouds. None appeared in the bright cerulean sky. The sun beat down, strong. Kid groaned. Thirst caked his cotton tongue. He leaned on a broken mast, and remembered his bottle of swill. "Rum's somewheres. Dunno. Ru-uuum. Rummy rum rum?" Kid called, looking for his lost bottle. He lost his footing. Fell down in a stupor. And laughed to beat hell. "Whole ship's twirlin' like a dancin' girl. Dance, lass! Dance! Lift yer skirts! Twirl! Kid yelled at volume. And laughed in between, enjoying the feel of sun-heated planks at his back. Made no move to right himself.

Something shifted on the edge of his verizon. Kid tilted his head and tried to focus. His eyes swam with the effort. He hollered. "Hey! You! Gimme my rum! You there, berk!"[/section]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Nia smiled wryly. "As free as any of us, messieur. Which is to say, not nearly as much as I'd like to be. I am legally bound to no one though, and that is a start."

She glanced over to Katerina and the merchant, her ear pricking at the sound of a familiar name.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hearing the voice emerge from the derelict, Barrington smiles, as new meaning infuses the young lad's words. "I understand, Jack. And you should always listen to your mother." He reaches into his waistcoat pocket, and removes a few sou, which he passes to the boy. "You have been very helpful. You are welcome to come with me, or to stay here. Or if you leave, I can hope for the good fortune to run into you again soon."

Having said this, he advances, checking to see if young Jack follows.

"Hello?" he calls as he approaches the ship. "Permission to come aboard?" he asks, as he steps through a rather large hole in the bow.

Remove ads