• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell scaling

Basically no spell should scale, but many spells should be able to be prepared at higher levels to gain a more improved version of the spell. Since this is what I think WoTC was going for, they need to rework Magic Missile so that it does not automatically scale. As a cantrip, it should fire one missile, just one. Perhaps as a first level spell it can fire multiple missiles (up to 3).

But Magic Missile is not a "Spell," it is a "Cantrip." As "Cantrips" are at-will magic, Magic Missile needs to be balanced as a (weak) at-will attack.

BobTheNob

First Post
I love the idea of sacrificing higher level slots to cast spells with more oomph. Its just an awesome idea.

You made CAN toss a 10d6 fireball, but he gives up a 9th level slot for it (plucking numbers out of the air there, please dont respond on "your numbers are bad" basis). It make it possible for kick ass spells for top level casters, but not spamable.

Love it...love it, love it, love it

hmmm, now that I think about it, its sorta like 3e meta magic, but not quite. I cant leverage meta magic against native spell growth. For instance, I cant add 2(3?) levels to a fireball to increase damage by 50% on a 10d6, but I can sacrifice 2or3 levels to increase from (say) 5d6 to 8d6. A worthy change without being game breaking.

Just LOVE IT!

paladinm

First Post
I am Not a fan of having cantrips/at-wills that cause damage. However, Myth & Magic has a class talent (cough Feat cough) that allows using a couple spell slots to generate a sort of "eldritch blast". This sort of "spontaneous blast" is kind of equivalent to 3.x "spontaneous healing". Short of having true spontaneous casting, I really like this!

the Jester

Legend
I am Not a fan of having cantrips/at-wills that cause damage. However, Myth & Magic has a class talent (cough Feat cough) that allows using a couple spell slots to generate a sort of "eldritch blast". This sort of "spontaneous blast" is kind of equivalent to 3.x "spontaneous healing". Short of having true spontaneous casting, I really like this!

So wait, it actually burns a couple spell slots to produce the blast?

Ugh. Seems inefficient and costly- a feat and multiple slots for what you could do just by taking an offensive spell.

I'd rather go the route that late-3e tried with reserve feats- as long as you have a fire spell prepped, you can produce this minor fire effect at will- but I'm much happier to simply see at-will cantrips, including damaging ones.

Remove ads