• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer Shows Up In The Wild - Check Out The Tables of Contents

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

2.jpeg

052C4CBE-625B-4E6A-8005-D549BB9BC634.jpeg

31C64296-9C83-406C-B915-BA6C3305CE25.jpeg

1.jpeg

I think it's badly written, but when you're gliding you're not falling, so I wouldn't allow them to drop 500' a round. That would be something like 284 mph otherwise. I think a reasonable interpretation is that you can descend up to your speed in a round, gaining 5' of free horizontal movement for every foot you descend. That ends up being a much more reasonable figure in line with what I envision the ability to look like in use.
I think I heard someone say Mach 2. Common sense should play a part lol.

I’m not 100% on the thing as written, but I’m not sure about your take either. What’s the rate of drop for parachutes and paragliders?
That's be a good check to see if it's at least in the range of plausibility. I'm just trying to find a reinterpretation that doesn't explicitly contradict what's written there (because that will confuse players).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think I heard someone say Mach 2. Common sense should play a part lol.
Was it Nerd Immersion? Because they're wrong. You fall 500 feet per round in 5e, which is meant to represent how much you fall over the course of the 6-second round. It's not actually Mach 2, it's closer to 200 miles per hour. Which is around how fast Peregrine Falcons can fly when diving.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I think it's badly written, but when you're gliding you're not falling, so I wouldn't allow them to drop 500' a round. That would be something like 284 mph otherwise. I think a reasonable interpretation is that you can descend up to your speed in a round, gaining 5' of free horizontal movement for every foot you descend. That ends up being a much more reasonable figure in line with what I envision the ability to look like in use.
This math is correct.

Fall 500ft/6 seconds. 5000ft/minute. 300,000ft/hour. 5280ft/mile. So fall at 56.81mph. And for every 1ft you drop vertically, you can travel 5ft horizontally. So 284.09mph horizontally.

Mach 1 is 741.09699mph. So about 1/3 of mach 1, so clearly not mach 2.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You could use the feather fall speed of 60ft/round descent.

Which would give the Hadozee 300ft of movement in a round while gliding instead of 2500ft. Which is 34.09mph. That’s a lot more reasonable. Looking up paragliders, this is right in the same range. A few mph more than a paraglider at sea level.

This math is correct.

Fall 500ft/6 seconds. 5000ft/minute. 300,000ft/hour. 5280ft/mile. So fall at 56.81mph. And for every 1ft you drop vertically, you can travel 5ft horizontally. So 284.09mph horizontally.

Mach 1 is 741.09699mph. So about 1/3 of mach 1, so clearly not mach 2.
I think part of Nerd Immersion's argument was based on the part that states that gliding in this manner doesn't use up any of your movement - i.e. you can glide the full 2500 foot distance and still have your standard Action and Movement to play around with at the end of it, functionally making the gliding movement a free action that doesn't use up any appreciable fraction of the 6 seconds making up the round in question. Saying it occurred within the span of 1 second for simplicity of calculation, rather than 6, would push the velocity close to Mach 2.

Not enough of a munchkin to argue that angle myself - or frankly even to say the hadozee should get the full 500 foot drop to utilize for gliding, when that is clearly meant to represent someone in freefall, which the hadozee would not be - but I think that's where he was coming from.

Last edited:

2e Ravenloft didn't ban paladins. It even let the DM know that domain lords were aware of exactly where every paladin in their realm was. The class wasn't banned, but it did carry a very short lifespan. I don't remember bards being banned, but then I've never liked bards, so I probably just tossed that out of my mind.

So I just pulled out my 2e Ravenloft to look at things closer. Paladins were in the character section, but had abilities altered and had the very probable short life span I mentioned. Priests got spells from their gods, but with some changes to some spells as noted in the book. Bards are not banned at all. It specifically mentions in the rogue section that any spells bards can cast are subject to the Ravenloft changes.

No classes were banned from that setting at all.

I don't know why you think power checks are gone. They're there, but in a different form. It takes the form of Dark Bargains and Dark Gifts. So it kept the powers checks and kept all classes being available. It got rid of the alterations to magic and didn't built in terror and horror checks, but the DMG has those, so they didn't need to put them into the setting. When all is said and done, not much actually changed.

I would expect the same of Dark Sun.
You did see where I specified Domains of Dread, right? That one did remove paladins, druids and bards and replace them with avengers, anchorites etc.

And priests didn't necessarily "get spells from the gods". Maybe they did, or maybe the Dark Powers merely granted the spells out of a sense of amusement.

And Dark bargains and dark gifts are not the same as the way things functioned in 2E, this is like someone trying to tell me that dhampir rules were implemented of the 2E vampire phenotypes. The rules are definitely quite different, mostly to fit around the 5E philosophy. You may think that's better, and that's fine. But it is definitely different.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads