D&D 5E Spells: the Good, the Bad, and the Downright Orcish Grandmother

Gadget

Adventurer
Temple of the Gods, Illusionary Dragon, Dragon's Breath, Shadow Blade, Mighty Fortress, Druid Grove, Improved Find Familiar, Homunulus, Tiny Servant, Absorb Elements, Summon Lesser Demons, Summon Demons, Maddening Darkness, Infernal Incantation, Ceremony, Thunder Step, Pyschic Scream, Mass Polymorph, invulnerible all awesome spells.

Personally, I would rate Homunculus as vastly over-leveled (at least for PCs, might be different for NPCs). The designers have gone on record as saying they had to raise the level of the spell due to the “scry anywhere” feature, all while ignoring the fact that the creature does not have the stealth or hit points to serve as an effective scout/spy. Not terribly useful, imho.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Personally, I would rate Homunculus as vastly over-leveled (at least for PCs, might be different for NPCs). The designers have gone on record as saying they had to raise the level of the spell due to the “scry anywhere” feature, all while ignoring the fact that the creature does not have the stealth or hit points to serve as an effective scout/spy. Not terribly useful, imho.

My thoughts as well. This is an improved familiar option for sure, but not worth a 6th level slot. Tiny Servant is a way better value spell. In fact, I don't think I would even have a problem with a player having a homunculus as a familiar. As a familiar the homunculus wouldn't be able to benefit from its poison attack since it couldn't make an attack as a familiar (unless you're a Chain Pact Warlock). The only benefit it gains as a familiar is the extended senses.

Remove ads