(Spirit Of the Century) "So Let it be Written, so Shall it be Done!"

Psion

Adventurer
Madwabbit, how are you planning on doing chargen? Are you doing it at the table? Or making pregens?

(I thought the chargen sounded like half the fun of the game, but there's the perception over at StoryGames that it's not fast enough.)

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
Madwabbit, how are you planning on doing chargen? Are you doing it at the table? Or making pregens?

(I thought the chargen sounded like half the fun of the game, but there's the perception over at StoryGames that it's not fast enough.)
Hmmm, yeah, I agree with you, and not only is chargen half the fun, it's pretty much half the essential nature of the dynamic pick-up game -- the other half, of course, is playing the characters all of you create together. We will be playing a hybrid of the "Structured game" and the "Set 'em up, knock 'em down" style game, as described in the book (which is not necessary to have), and part of that involves the players at the table (the actors) helping each other and me (the director/cinematographer) set the story up via character creation. I've already got some hooks, plot lines, NPCs and villains sketched out for the story -- we all work together to create the story's protagonists, and then YOU guys play 'em!

Or more simply put, SotC is all about narrative collaboration between the players in the creation of not only their own character but everyone else's at the table. Chargen is KEY, I believe, to this kind of game.

It's a 4.5 hour session, and I will be sending out some reading material and web-links to the players in advance to get the gears turning and ready for the chargen, so I'm reasonably certain that we can do both chargen AND play within the time allotted. Or, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

With that said, out of curiosity, if you have a link or can point me to the StoryGames thread (assuming it is online), I'm happy to check out what they've got to say. Without knowing for sure, or throwing anyone under the bus, I have a sneaking suspicion that someone there is taking an "old school" approach to the game, assuming that it's all about showing up at the table with a character and then jumping right into "gameplay". That, or they're talking about long-term campaign play.

In a SotC "pick-up" one-shot game, chargen is PART of the gameplay. Then again, now that I think about it, once I send out the links and material (all electronic), there's nothing to say we can't use this thread to get a leg-up on that, is there? :p

--tom

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
madwabbit said:
With that said, out of curiosity, if you have a link or can point me to the StoryGames thread (assuming it is online), I'm happy to check out what they've got to say. Without knowing for sure, or throwing anyone under the bus, I have a sneaking suspicion that someone there is taking an "old school" approach to the game, assuming that it's all about showing up at the table with a character and then jumping right into "gameplay". That, or they're talking about long-term campaign play.

Here's the thread:
http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=4164&page=1#Item_17

It was Judd. He didn't elaborate, other than to list other "lighter" games that he wouldn't want pregens for.

I really wouldn't see the problem if you just pick one of the "quick pick stunt packages" out of the book and run with it. The whole "story worksheet" thing is what I'm actually the most interested in seeing in action.

Dungannon

First Post
This sounds like it might be fun. And since it's the first Morning game I've read, I think I'll throw my hat into the ring, so to speak.

madwabbit

First Post
Psion said:
Here's the thread:
http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=4164&page=1#Item_17

It was Judd. He didn't elaborate, other than to list other "lighter" games that he wouldn't want pregens for.
Oops... that's what I get for assuming. :) If that's the Judd I think it is (Judd Karlman), then he's definitely got a better sense of what will and won't work than I do.

I really wouldn't see the problem if you just pick one of the "quick pick stunt packages" out of the book and run with it. The whole "story worksheet" thing is what I'm actually the most interested in seeing in action.
As am I -- unlike most demos or cons where folks simply register and show up, we have the advantage of the forums here to do a lot of our pre-work. I'm definitely NOT wanting to forego the Phases where other players do the "Guest Star" bit, and I'm definitely wanting to see the collaborative nature of the game in action, and how it impacts, influences, and changes what *I* have planned for the game.

--tom

Remove ads