SRD Competition Submission Thread

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tell ya what I'm gonna do:

I'm going to give a prize to everyone ( Ok not EVERYONE - even I could just cut & paste & make a lousy quality .pdf if I really wanted to - so those "cut & paste" entries will not be rewarded - perhaps the 1st 15 maximum or I'll go broke with shipping charges ) who FINISHES their SRD entry and posts a link to this thread by the END of September, including anyone who is a winner according to the judges based on the original deadline.

Submitters will choose from my D20 trade pile in the order in which they have posted a link to a completed entry.

Here are a few of the items in my trade pile (subject to minor changes):

1)Heros of High Favor: Half Orcs // BADAXE GAMES
2)Heros of High Favor: Elves // BADAXE GAMES
3)Codex Arcanis campaign setting // PARADIGM CONCEPTS
4)Hostile Climes: Depths of Despair undersea sourcebook //PINNACLE
5)Arekoz: White Robes, Black Hearts Enigma o fthe Arcanexus adventure// Dark Portal Games
6)A Challenge of Arm's adventure// Inner City Games Designs
7)Living Grehawk Gazetteer // WotC
8)Gazetteer ( Greyhawk )//WotC
9)Allies & Adveraries Legends Collection NPC book//Bastion Press
10)Kingdoms of Kalamar Campaign Setting Sourcebook// WotC-Kenzer
11)Psionics Toolkit //Fiery Dragon -Sword & Sorcery ( WW)
12)Ultramodern Firearms //Green Ronin
13)Slayers Guide to Sahuagin // Mongoose
14)Cities of Fantasy: Stormhaven // Mongoose
15)Travellers Tales: Ships of War // Mongoose
16)The Domains of Althos: Dark and Stormy Night //Guildhouse Games
17)Carnival of Swords - city sourcebook for Arcanis //Paradigm
18)The Bloody Sands of Sicaris - Arcanis adventure //Paradigm
19)Witchfire Trilogy Book 1: The Legion of Lost Souls // Privateer Press
20)Witchfire Trilogy Book 2: Shadow of the Exile // Privateer Press
21)Witchfire Trilogy Book 3: The Longest Night // Privateer Press
22)Armies of the Abyss // Green Ronin
23)Legions of Hell // Green Ronin

Phew!
-BFG

edited: Wanted to make it clearer that cut & paste entries posted for the sake of getting one of my books with no value or style added are not
eligible - :D

Last edited:

Sage

Explorer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
Tell ya what I'm gonna do:

I'm going to give a prize to everyone ( Ok not EVERYONE - even I could just cut & paste & make a lousy quality .pdf if I really wanted to - perhaps the 1st 15 maximum or I'll go broke with shipping charges ) who FINISHES their SRD entry and posts a link to this thread by the END of September, including anyone who is a winner according to the judges based on the original deadline.

Does this include the Psionics section?

Sage
(feeling quite pleased with himself that he actually finished an SRD before the deadline :D )

rfox

First Post
Heh, heh. Well, I would have really liked to submit my formatted version, but knew that I would never make the deadline. As it turns out, I'm only about 10% done.

In terms of organization, I kept going back and forth between completely re-organizing everything into logical sections or following the layout of the core books.

I finally decided to maintain integrity of the SRD as much as possible and put the "rules" docs following the PHB and DMG chapter layout with a few changes.

The plan included 5 separate "books":
I. Core Game Mechanics (in 3 sections):
1. Basic Game Mechanics, Core Classes, & Character Composition
2. Combat & Gameplay in the Gameworld
3. Non-core Classes
II. Equipment
III. Magic & Spells
IV. Monster Manual
V. Psionics

The Equipment section was the major change from the PHB layout I decided on. It include the basic equipment list, the Special Material doc, and all the magic items. I considered it significant enough to merit it's own book and putting all equipment and items (magical or not) together is more logical.

My goal was to create a printer-friendly version that's compact to minimize paper and ink waste, while still maintaining a decent and readable look. As such it has no graphics or decorations. The only color is in the heading text and tables, which should print out fine B+W.
A Table of Contents is easy enough to do, but an index takes a LOT more work, so I don't know if I want to devote that much time into it, or at least not a very extensive one. Reworking the tables is the most tedious part.

I'm about 80% done with the rules, 25% done with the equipment, and 5% done with the Monsters. Even though the deadline for submissions is over, I'm planning on completing my formatting for my own use since this layout allows me to add on my own entries into a single source of reference for my use.

Estlor

Explorer
woodelf said:
Sounds like we have about the same design philosophy: readable and well-organized is attractive layout.

Couple questions (feel free to take them to email, though i suppose "cluttering up" this thread doesn't really matter now): So, did you actually rewrite chunks of the psionics stuff to make it match? Which chunks did you integrate?

The quick answer to this is "kind of." The only things I "rewrote" were things that could easily be pointed to as being distinctly 3.0 and not 3.5. That included Remote View, Psicrystals, damage reduction, and a few feats. In all cases I attempted to cut and paste extant 3.5 material changing spell to power and such to keep things standard across the board.

Everything else was left alone, just placed in a different location (such as Psion and Psychic Warrior being dropped between Paladin and Ranger in the classes section).

Dimwhit

Explorer
OK, here's the thing. Some people may have missed this post in the original thread, but partial submissions of the SRD were allowed. We even received a few. I was debating extending this competition, and I solicted advice from the judges and other entries. Here's what we'll do. It's not extended, but those with partial SRDs can submit them to me today (by midnight tonight, PST). Email them to srd@dimwhit.com (or email a link to them preferably). I'm doing this because the original thread was so long, I imagine many people missed the part about allowing the partial SRDs. So I'd like to be as fair as possible.

By partial, I don't mean you have 1 page done of 300. I'd say if you're halfway through or more, you should send it it. So please do. Then we'll get these things judged!

reveal

Adventurer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
I'm going to give a prize to everyone ( Ok not EVERYONE - even I could just cut & paste & make a lousy quality .pdf if I really wanted to - perhaps the 1st 15 maximum or I'll go broke with shipping charges ) who FINISHES their SRD entry and posts a link to this thread by the END of September, including anyone who is a winner according to the judges based on the original deadline.

Submitters will choose from my D20 trade pile in the order in which they have posted a link to a completed entry.

-BFG

Here ya go!

http://members.cox.net/3ednd/srd.zip

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
So seriously, where are all the partials? Woodelf? Estlor? I know Drawmack and KReynolds were both working on something. Remember, partials are ok. Just email me! The judges are working on what we already have (we have more than what is posted in this thread, btw).

Estlor

Explorer
Where's my partial?

It's gonna wait 'til it's done, that's where. :p I appreciate the offer, but personally I know the work I've done won't stand a chance until I have the TOC, Index, and PDF bookmarks done. I'd rather gracefully bow out of the competition, adhere to the deadline as written, and just finish it up as a labor of love later so people see what I really intended.

Best of luck to everyone that got something turned in on time, though. I'm sure the winner in the PDF category will deserve it. :D

Remove ads