• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Flaming and Shocking?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
You can do this right?

Longsword +1 Shocking and Flaming

Damage: 1d8+1+2d6

I read on another board that the sage said this wasn't possible.

I always thought it was fine.

Corwin

Explorer
Yes, it is legal. However, some DMs choose to disallow it. Even worse when you mix flame and frost. Though still quite legal in the rules sense, some people don't like the idea of something like that.

Me, personally, I have no problem with it. Heck, it's magic. Moreso, a related example of such a thing can be found in Tome & Blood. The Energy Admixture feat even specifically describes the ability to combine opposite energies together. It gives the example of a fireball also doing cold damage at the same time.

Of course, I don't even mind if someone wants to stack the same energy on a weapon multiple times. Sure the general consensus on it is that you can't. But if you want to waste +3 on a weapon to do 3d6 fire (which doesn't even multiply on a crit), go for it. I think it's a waste, but whatever floats your boat. :)

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
I read on another board that the sage said this wasn't possible.

As far as I know, the Sage is against it and Monte and Sean are for it. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, as it's not a big deal. If my players want to, fine. If they don't, no big deal. :)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Well, it does take an action it make each one active, so ig you want to waste the forst 2 rounds of combat then go for it. Personally, I really don't have a problem with allowing both of these on the same item.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: Re: Stacking Flaming and Shocking?

kreynolds said:

As far as I know, the Sage is against it and Monte and Sean are for it. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, as it's not a big deal. If my players want to, fine. If they don't, no big deal. :)

No, the Sage said that stacking Flaming and Shocking was perfectly legal. Even Flaming and Icy is technically legal, but the Sage said that most DM's would probably rule that they cancel out, or just flat disallow it.

The main issue is that it takes a standard action to activate each energy type. (They activate upon command.)

Unless you have a Glove of Storing, it can take a few rounds to power your weapon up to full effectiveness.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Stacking Flaming and Shocking?

Caliban said:
No, the Sage said that stacking Flaming and Shocking was perfectly legal.

Good thing I said "as far as I know" and not "No". :D I even have that post from Skip, but I have so many of them that I forgot about it.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Is there a decent rules reason not to have these weapons on all the time? With objects taking so little damage from energy (especially cold), I don't think it would be hard for a player to make a scabbard that could handle the weapon...

kreynolds

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Is there a decent rules reason not to have these weapons on all the time?

Because a Flaming Dagger stashed in your shorts would hurt a lot? ;)

Ki Ryn said:
With objects taking so little damage from energy (especially cold), I don't think it would be hard for a player to make a scabbard that could handle the weapon...

Possibly. A magical scabbard could be a definate possiblity. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that, though not being able to have them turned on all the time is one of the ways they are kept balanced.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Ki Ryn said:
Is there a decent rules reason not to have these weapons on all the time? With objects taking so little damage from energy (especially cold), I don't think it would be hard for a player to make a scabbard that could handle the weapon...

Normal scabbards would be quickly destroyed. Even specially made scabbards would eventually heat up or freeze to the point that you would start taking damage through it.

The most common solution I have seen is to get a Glove of Storing.

Last edited:

Remove ads