• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Flaming and Shocking?

kreynolds

First Post
Marshall said:
Since BLAH blatantly BLAH that BLAH rules Arent BLAH BLAH have to BLAH a round BLAH your arrows, and BLAH, under your BLAH, you BLAH have to BLAH or deactivate a BLAH, or BLAH projectile BLAH, and that, BLAH, Burst functions BLAHout the bonus BLAH, Why BLAH the melee BLAH be penalized?

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Sean K. Reynolds responded to this question yesterday over on his messageboards by saying:
I let it activate automatically if the wielder wants it, no need to use any sort of action. But in the strictest interpretation, you would need to use a standard action, which sucks.

kreynolds

First Post
Sean K. Reynolds said:
I let it activate automatically if the wielder wants it, no need to use any sort of action. But in the strictest interpretation, you would need to use a standard action, which sucks.

Of course it sucks. That's the drawback to doing to crapload of damage with every single attack. He's been hangin' around with Monte too long. You know, Monte Cook? That guy who said Mind Blank protects from True Strike? Sheesh...

IceBear

Explorer
In fairness to Monte, his actual response was that he wouldn't have allowed it at first glance, but when he read the spell descriptions it read that they would (and I agree that it would to - one gives you an insight into where to target for best effect against someone you cannot divine any info on). He was given a direct link to the debated thread and there were good arguments on either side so I think he may have been influenced a little by what he read in there. He then said if a PC in his game insisted on it, he would allow it, but I don't think that means that's the rule he's using.

I don't think Monte is running his games with Mind Blank defeating True Strike, but he did say that from a pure rules prespective it would work that way. Now, if we look at balance and intent and temper the rules with that, we get the Sage's response (which is how I'm currently running it).

Anyway, I don't want to open THAT can of worms again, just defending Monte a little.

IceBear

Last edited:

Marshall

First Post
kreynolds said:

Of course it sucks. That's the drawback to doing to crapload of damage with every single attack. He's been hangin' around with Monte too long. You know, Monte Cook? That guy who said Mind Blank protects from True Strike? Sheesh...

You know there was a reason I spent between 6K and 100K and a +1 weapon enhancement. Oh yeah! It was to do an avearage 3.5 dam a hit(assuming the target isnt immune/resistant, which quite a few are). If thats a crapload to you at the levels where +2 min weapons are available...
I could have taken the extra +1 to-hit AND +1 to damage AND gotten Sunder ability/Resistance AND gone thru a higher DR all without even an argument about 'upon command'.

hmmm..

HEY! WAIT! +2 IS MUNCHKIN

kreynolds

First Post
Marshall said:
You know there was a reason I spent between 6K and 100K and a +1 weapon enhancement.

It doesn't matter what your reasons are. Your reasons don't change the rules as written. Only a rule 0 can do that.

Marshall said:
HEY! WAIT! +2 IS MUNCHKIN

You're a very strange and unique role-player if you think that a +2 weapon is munchkin.

Corwin

Explorer
kreynolds said:

That's pretty frickin' cool and unique. :)

Well, thanks.

kreynolds said:
Did you come up with that idea yourself?

Yep.

kreynolds said:
I woulda had to award ya' at least a little XP for that kind of creativity.

I didn't get any. But that's OK. I didn't do it for the XP.

kreynolds said:
That's the kind of stuff that makes characters stand out from the mold.

Which is why I thunk it up in the first place. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Corwin said:
I didn't get any. But that's OK. I didn't do it for the XP.

It doesn't matter. You would have gotten XP from me in any case. You showed that your character was growing through role-play instead of just showing that your character was growing by jumping out of your chair, throwing your arms up in the air victoriously, and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I LEVELED! I HAVE ENOUGH XP TO LEVEL!".

I dig that. :)

Corwin

Explorer
kreynolds said:

It doesn't matter. You would have gotten XP from me in any case. You showed that your character was growing through role-play instead of just showing that your character was growing by jumping out of your chair, throwing your arms up in the air victoriously, and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I LEVELED! I HAVE ENOUGH XP TO LEVEL!".

I dig that. :)

Thanx.

Problem was, I had to eventually retire him because he "broke". If I had kept playing him much past 14th level, he would have started handing out damage in the 100s. So "we" (mainly me and I talked about it with my gaming group) all agreed it best to let him leave the story and so I started a new PC.

Since it will be asked, I'll pre-empt with a brief synopsis:

Wulfram was very multiclassed. He was my first 3e character and a bit of an experiment. I wanted to try out all the new rules. He was a human barbarian with some fighter, rogue and psion (Str based) tossed in. Eventually went into weapon master (with the cahulaks). The combination of all these abilities became quite sick. Basically tons of attacks (improved 2-weapon with a double weapon), using keen, flaming heavy pick damage and increasing the multiplier with weapon master and improved crit. That, combined with rage, rogue sneak and some wicked-cool psion tricks, he became too much. I was proud, embarassed, worried and pleased with myself all at the same time. ;)

Remove ads