• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stacking Flaming and Shocking?

IceBear

Explorer
In all honesty, I've been playing special abilities like flaming on weapons as use activated. I never really read that section of the DMG as I just kinda went with what I remember from 2nd Edition.

I can see that it's wrong and I can see why from a balance point of view, but I never noticed it being too bad in our campaign.

IceBear

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, but then, in my case, that sword would be different from a flaming sword in that it did require at least a standard action to "power up".

Yeah, going overboard with the powers would be a balance issue. I had only introduced a flaming sword and was basing it off the flaming brand from 2E which I just had light when it was drawn (now, I could've been doing it wrong then too :p).

IceBear

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
IceBear said:
(now, I could've been doing it wrong then too :p).

IceBear

I don't think you were doing it wrong. If I recall, the Frostbrand from 2nd Edition was always slightly cold to the touch, but it didn't actually activate until you hit something with it.

And no, I'm not talking about Icingdeath. :D

IceBear

Explorer
kreynolds said:
And no, I'm not talking about Icingdeath. :D

At least that sword had a better name than "Twinkle".

Man, I'd have been too embarrassed to die if I got stabbed by a scimitar named Twinkle :)

IceBear

Crothian

First Post
IceBear said:

At least that sword had a better name than "Twinkle".

Man, I'd have been too embarrassed to die if I got stabbed by a scimitar named Twinkle :)

IceBear

Ya, but imagine being the guy who owned it, you know he was teased for that. :D

Marshall

First Post
kreynolds said:

Well, since the description of Flaming Burst states "Flaming Burst: A flaming burst weapon functions as a flaming weapon...", it seems pretty clear to me that they function as a flaming weapon, with the exception that they "also explodes with flame upon striking a successful critical hit".

If you are asking whether or not you get the burst damage on a burst weapon without activating it, then no.

Really? Are you sure?

FTR A whips out his +3 Frost Burst scimitar and hits the poor defenseless Ogre. Dam 1d6+STR, but no Frost because it hasnt been 'activated'. Right?

On his second attack, FTR A scores a crit! YAY! Dam 1d6+STR+1d10 burst, but no Frost. Make sense to you? Note the also in the description. This indicates a second power, one which does not have the 'upon command' preface.

So since my Burst weapon functions without a wasted round to activate it, my bow needs never be activated/de-activated, my ammunition doesnt need a round to power up, Why the holy heck should a pitiful little flaming weapon require it?

And speaking of Holy and for that matter Unholy, Chaotic, Lawful, and Bane, which all function the same way, Where is there "standard action to activate"?

kreynolds

First Post
Marshall said:
Really? Are you sure?

Yup.

Marshall said:
FTR A whips out his +3 Frost Burst scimitar and hits the poor defenseless Ogre. Dam 1d6+STR, but no Frost because it hasnt been 'activated'. Right?

Right.

Marshall said:
On his second attack, FTR A scores a crit! YAY! Dam 1d6+STR+1d10 burst, but no Frost.

Wrong. He doesn't get the burst damage either, because the Icy Burst has not been activated. Same reason he didn't get the standard 1d6 on the first hit.

Marshall said:
So since my Burst weapon functions without a wasted round to activate it,

Nope. You need to activate it.

Marshall said:
Why the holy heck should a pitiful little flaming weapon require it?

Because it states so in the description.

Marshall said:
And speaking of Holy and for that matter Unholy, Chaotic, Lawful, and Bane, which all function the same way,

Those enhancement do not need to be activated to be used.

Marshall said:
Where is there "standard action to activate"?

You quoted it. It's all right there.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Marshall said:

Really? Are you sure?

Pretty sure.

Right.

On his second attack, FTR A scores a crit! YAY! Dam 1d6+STR+1d10 burst, but no Frost. Make sense to you?

No. It hasn't been activated, so it doesn't work.

Note the also in the description. This indicates a second power, one which does not have the 'upon command' preface.

It acts like a flaming weapon, which means it needs to be activated to work. If it's activated it also does the burst damage.

How is it going to do the extra burst damage if it's not already flaming or frosting or whatever? There is no fire to burst.

So since my Burst weapon functions without a wasted round to activate it, my bow needs never be activated/de-activated, my ammunition doesnt need a round to power up, Why the holy heck should a pitiful little flaming weapon require it?

Because you are completely wrong about the burst weapon thing?

And speaking of Holy and for that matter Unholy, Chaotic, Lawful, and Bane, which all function the same way, Where is there "standard action to activate"?

Because they don't function in exactly the same way.

They are similar in that they have conditions that trigger their extra damage.

For the Holy, Unholy, Chaotic, Lawful, or Bane weapons, they do not normally do any extra damage. They only do extra damage when striking a certain type of creature.

The elemental damage weapons do not normally do any extra damage. They only do extra damage when you have taken the Standard Action to activate them, and then they do that damage to any target that isn't immune.

Last edited:

Remove ads