Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

He's reacting to "suspect", I think. When the most charismatic villain ever in the history of Trek, who got what is often considered the best Trek movie ever has their name come up... there WILL BE a connection. We pretty much know it, because nobody writing for Trek would choose that name accidentally, and choosing it and not having a connection would cheese people off to no end.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
If we were sure what to make of it, it would not be intriguing!
True. The new series have done the one thing I didn’t think they could: surprise me (as a lifelong Trekkie).

Can’t wait for the new seasons to start, but at least there’s Foundation coming next week on Apple. And Lower Decks, if I break down and re-sub before Discovery’s premier in November.

Ryujin

Legend
He's reacting to "suspect". When the most charismatic villain ever in the history of Trek, who got what is often considered the best Trek movie ever has their name come up... there WILL BE a connection.
Most definitely, though I'm thinking that it's going to be something like what I've read previously (either in this thread or elsewhere) about how a significant percentage of modern people can trace their lineage back to Gengis Khan and one of his hundreds of children. (... 8 percent of men across 16 different ethnic populations in Asia ..." - Source: Genghis Khan DNA & Descendants)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Most definitely, though I'm thinking that it's going to be something like what I've read previously (either in this thread or elsewhere) about how a significant percentage of modern people can trace their lineage back to Gengis Khan and one of his hundreds of children. (... 8 percent of men across 16 different ethnic populations in Asia ..." - Source: Genghis Khan DNA & Descendants)
Could be that, could be mildly stronger connection, like they're a direct descendant rather than distant, could be something surprising, could be a red herring.

Red as hell, actually.

As I know the story, Spock was originally going to have red skin (and be from Mars, the Vulcan concept came later). However, in the late 1960s, black and white TV sets were still common, and the makeup would have looked like dark-grey or black - as if Nimoy were wearing blackface - which nobody wanted.

So, they decided to mix up was a yellowish-greenish hue (which is still sold by RCMA as L-N #1, as in 'Leonard Nimoy #1'). This is a bit of a subtle color, so that for the first few episodes, the network's color technicians, who weren't told he was supposed to be different from the rest of the crew, corrected him back to normal human skin tone.
As a small side trek (pun intended): One of the things that can be amazing if we look at "modern" (60s is modern?) technology is that even the most simple seeming things - like broadcasting a show that was already filmed, cut, edited and what not,t here is still yet another layer you didn't think, anticipate or know about until someone tells you about it. Everything is a giant pipeline of things that remain invisible to end customers - unless someone screwed up.
Heck, even when I was working for our "Abizeitung" (a magazine/newspaper style production for those graduating the German A-Levels or whatever equivalent) there were surprises like that. Like that "In the Mirror" poem we put into the magazine that we deliberely mirrored... which the printing guys considered as an error and repaired it so our little mirror gag never made it to print, and the mirror-poem remains unmirrored. :(
[/tangent]

Are we there yet?

Remove ads