Star Wars First Edition WEG - A Love Story

JeffB

Legend
Late to the party. This is a great thread [MENTION=92305]Water Bob[/MENTION]

By the time I got into D6, WEG had pretty much lost the license. I ran and for the most part enjoyed 2ER&E. I also owned the 1st edition book when I bought a d6 collection off ebay, but never delved into the original game and sold it. Newer is better, right? Eventually all of my WEG collection was sold off. I loved the adventures and supplements, but d20 Star Wars, the demise of SWRPG Network, and the prequels drove me away from Star Wars gaming a long time.

In the past couple of years we have been playing Star Wars more often and I have used some other systems (whitestar and star worlds) but I think I'm going to pick up the original D6 version again based on this thread. Your examples/explanation of the task resolution of 1e seems to be more along the lines of what I like to run these days ..I found a copy of the 1e rules companion and rules update and even those seem to add more fiddly stuff to the action system, the force ,and starship combat that seems unnecessary, for my tastes anyway.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I found a copy of the 1e rules companion and rules update and even those seem to add more fiddly stuff to the action system, the force ,and starship combat that seems unnecessary, for my tastes anyway.

Oh, I completely agree. I like all editions of D6 Star Wars. They're all great games.

But, my heart is with 1E. No rules companion. No rules update. Nothing but the 1E core book.

Man...that's a game! :cool: Quick. Easy. Fun.

RedSiegfried

First Post
Cool thread. I never played SW 1E, though I have a couple of the sourcebooks. It seems to me like the rules are a lot like the Ghostbusters RPG also by WEG, only somewhat more complex.

JeffB

Legend
A couple of things I do like about 2ERE I like that I would probably keep in a 1e game

1) Wild Die. I think this helps accomplish what games like the new FFG as well as StarWorlds (apocalypse/dungeon world) do with their dice mechanics: introduce a complication/critical failure/success. I would likely just also introduce a "boon" option for a 6 on the wild die, as an alternative to "exploding dice" , just like complications are an alternative to a dice total penalty.

2) Reactions skill totals like Dodge, used as a substitute for the target number of the attacker, instead of adding to the TN (which iirc is a "full dodge" which eats up your entire round of actions in 2ERE) IDK, just seems like 1e Dodge can be too good also allowing additional actions? Perhaps someone with experience can elaborate.

Otherwise, totally digging 1e 's streamlined chase/vehicle/starship mechanics from what I am reading.

Last edited:

Rolenet

Explorer
Awesome game by Costikyan.
I loved the repair/upgrade system with escalating delays.

But maybe the greatest thing were the advice! It is rare that a game provides intelligent gaming advice. This book was full of it, revolving around the notion of "have fun with it."

JeffB

Legend

But maybe the greatest thing were the advice! It is rare that a game provides intelligent gaming advice. This book was full of it, revolving around the notion of "have fun with it."

Agreed. The WEG books I owned were really fantastic tools for teaching someone how to run a fun game, that emulates the property to a T. When I look at something like the 3e/5e DMG or various other modern GM books I find myself saying, I would never want to be a DM if I had to use this book to learn how to run a great game. Totally uninspiring textbooks. (4e was quite a bit better for a Novice DM)

Rolenet

Explorer
I would never want to be a DM if I had to use this book to learn how to run a great game. Totally uninspiring textbooks. (4e was quite a bit better for a Novice DM)
A very interesting comparison. I often recommend the 4e DMG as an example of solid gaming advice, much better than most, but it's not exciting nor concise. Costikyan did a great job on these accounts, plus advice specific to the genre (notably the In media res technique).
I was lucky to learn RPG with that (and Paranoia) - rather than D&D boxes.

JeffB

Legend
A very interesting comparison. I often recommend the 4e DMG as an example of solid gaming advice, much better than most, but it's not exciting nor concise. Costikyan did a great job on these accounts, plus advice specific to the genre (notably the In media res technique).
I was lucky to learn RPG with that (and Paranoia) - rather than D&D boxes.

Not that I found the 4e DMG to be the "be all, end all" , but rather it was much better than other WOTC DMGs for teaching a new brand new DM unfamiliar with D&D in any version.

That said, still doesn't hold a candle to the various WEG books, including the 2e GM handbook and core rule books.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I loved the repair/upgrade system with escalating delays.

Agreed.

Also love the combined actions rule, that can work for three stormtroopers, a band of wookiees, or a squadron of X-Wings.

Also agreed. It's good stuff for a GM to read, no matter what game he runs. IIRC, the Gamemaster packs, with the screens, were always packed full of GM goodies, from advice on how to run or create a game to quickie NPCs and such.

1) Wild Die. I think this helps accomplish what games like the new FFG as well as StarWorlds (apocalypse/dungeon world) do with their dice mechanics: introduce a complication/critical failure/success. I would likely just also introduce a "boon" option for a 6 on the wild die, as an alternative to "exploding dice" , just like complications are an alternative to a dice total penalty.

Sure, the Wild Die is cool

But, I still prefer 1E basic, just the way it is written. Adding the WD adds a whole other level of complication to the system. Over the versions, the "complication" is played differently, too.

Water Bob

Adventurer
FIRST EDITION INITIATIVE

Notice how initiative is not always needed, and how the story flows like watching a Star Wars films. It's more of an action story, with the GM describing to you what is up on the screen, than it is a normal roleplaying game as is 2E, where initiative is rolled every round.

Detailed Example to follow.

garhkal said:
So how do you know how many actions you are going to take??

1E does use a Declaration Phase.

The GM sets the scene by describing what the characters see.

Each PC tells the GM what he's going to do (how many actions).

The GM then plays out each segement but allows the character's rolls at whatever he is doing act as the initiative roll.

Simple Example.

(Situation) Roark Garnet is on Ord Mantell. He's a wanted man. There are stormtroopers around every corner. Roark walks quickly, but falls in behind other pedestrians. The hood of his cloak is pulled over his head. He's got to make it back to the hanger to get to his ship and get the hell off this planet.

Round 1

Game Master (situation): You've almost made it to the docking bay. You've come up a narrow alley. There's a large vehicle street between you and the docking bay entrance. Outside the door that you've got to get through, is a single stormtrooper.

Player (declaration): I've got to get close to that trooper. I'm going to secure the hood over my head and make my way across the street. I'll angle for the trooper, but not go directly for him. I don' want him to notice me.

GM (Segment 1): Behind the screen, the GM rolls the stormtrooper's Search, which isn't improved, so he rolls PER 2D. The GM figures that any stormtrooper will be quite wary of anybody coming up close to him, regardless of who they are. Given the positions, it's a Very Easy 5+ roll.

But, the Player has indicated that he's trying to approach the guy as covertly as he can. So, the GM will have him roll his Hide skill. He rolls 3D and gets a total of 12.

In this situation, the Hide roll acts like a Reaction Skill (but that is the only declared action this round for the character). So, the total for the trooper to notice Roark's approach is 5 + 12 = 17.

But, the character is plainly out in the open. The GM gives the trooper a bonus based on the situation. If Roark were in Heavy Cover, then the trooper would suffer a +5 penalty against Roark. So, the GM just turns this around. Instead of giving the trooper a penalty, he gives the stormtrooper a +5 modifier to notice anyone coming up to him. So, he throws 2D +5 looking for 17 or better.

The trooper rolls 5 + 5 = 10. The trooper fails to notice. This roll is behind the GM screen. The player has to wait for the situation update in the next round to find out what happened (I do this a lot--rolling behind the screen--to keep the drama high. Players wait with baited breath to see if they made whatever they attempted.)

Note: I made this round to show that an Initiative roll is not always needed. In 2E, you always roll initiative. In 1E, many times (as shown here), you don't even need to bother with the roll!

Round 2

GM (situation): With a tug pulling the hood firmly over your head, you step out of the alley. Beings walk by. There is traffic on the street. The trooper is casually scanning the roadway and your side of the street, but his stance tells you that he is not alerted. He's probably bored.

You see your moment in the traffic. Off the curb you go. There's a slow droid in front of you, but you swing around him.

Your head is cocked to your left. You don't let the trooper out of your sight. Sweat starts to run down the side of your cheek.

(Dramatically - pull your players into the movie!) You reach the middle of the road--the median. A bunch of beings are clumped there. You stand, waiting to make it across the other side of the road. Is that trooper looking at you? He's definitely looking this way. It's hard to tell in those white skull masks.

Beings start to move. Three short, blue furred squibbs run by you on your right. One of them bumps you and never says a word. You can smell their hairy stink.

You're in the roadway now, and that trooper seems to be tracking you. His demeanor hasn't changed, but his head is turning. Is it you? Or maybe the fast moving squibbs caught his attention this way?

As you step on the curb of the far side of the road, your direct line of sight with the trooper is blocked. I huge Herglic steps up from your left. You can't see around him.

You slow your pace, just to get a glimpse. Yes! The trooper is looking away now, to his right, down the far roadway.

This is it! You step behind the Herglic again, then to the huge hulk's right. You use the Herglic as "cover" to get up to the trooper.

Then, you're between the Herglic and the wall, right up on the trooper.

What do you want to do?

P: (declaration) I did it? I did it! Man, I was sweating it!

OK, I'm right up on him? Yeah, that's it. I'm going to chop him as hard as I can right in the windpipe, between his helm and armor. I want to knock this guy out.

GM: You've set up an ambush, and so you get a Surprise Segment. The Trooper cannot dodge this blow, so give it all you got.

P: (Revised Declaration) In that case, I'm going to hit the guy three times. (The player is revising his declaration, which is OK, as long as the first action segment hasn't started).

GM (Surprise Segment): Roark has Brawling 4D, which is reduced to 2D due to the multiple actions.

Surprise Segment Attack: Brawling 2D getting an 4. Difficulty for Hand attacks is 5+.

GM (Segment 2 - Situation): The trooper turns suddenly towards you just as you swing! Your quick movement startled him! You've got both your hands locked together, and you swing with all your might! But, you connect with the side of the trooper's helmet, about where his ear will be. SLAM! Your hands slap against the polymer and bounce off!

Note: I will sometimes describe a miss as a hit with no damage as, in this situation, I find it hard for a person to miss a blow when he's standing right next to his target. Roark hit, as I describe it, even though the dice attack says he missed. It's just that Roarks didn't damage his target.

GM (Declaration for the Trooper--this is segment 1 for him): The trooper, his blaster rifle already in his hands, uses it like a bar and slams it up toward your face!

P (Reaction): I desperately need to parry! But, that will reduce my attacks to 1D. I've got to damage this guy, or he's got me. I'm going to risk it and not parry. Instead, I'll just have to hope I take him out with my second blow first! I'm going to grab his shoulder and shove down while I'm kneeing him in the abdomen!

Brawling is reduced to 2D. I need 5+ to hit. Roll: 6!

NOTE: 1E INITIATIVE: Here we have our first initiative situation. The Trooper has his hands on each side of his blaster rifle, and using it like a club (which is the damage I will use if he hits), he's slamming his attacker in the face!

Note how it doesn't matter who rolls first.

GM: Again, behind the screen, the GM rolls the Troopers attack. The trooper has Brawling 3D, and he's only doing the one action. So, we throw the full 3D, trying to roll higher than Roark's attack of 6.

Roll 3D: 10!

INITIATIVE RESULTS: So, what happened? The trooper was able to shove his rifle into his attacker's face before Roark struck.

This means that Roark's attack was aborted as he was attempting it. The trooper struck first, and any hit that is successful automatically stuns the target or worse.

Behind the screen, the GM rolls damage. Club damage is STR + 1D. That's 3D damage. 3D: 10 (again!)

Out in the open, the player rolls Roark's defense, which is his STR 3D. 3D: 7.

This means Roark takes a Wound to the face. And, he loses his actions for the rest of the round.

Last edited:

Remove ads