Star Wars First Edition WEG - A Love Story

Water Bob

Adventurer
Unless he's piloting a ship or firing ship's guns. And characters were able to increase skills with experience... My first ed games routinely wound up with 10+ dice on ship combat rolls. 6-8d skills and 3-6 d fire control (especially after using experience to raise the ship's, as was permitted.)

The person misremembering is YOU, Bob.

Well, lets test it, then.

Take the sample character, Roark Garnet, from page 8 of the 1E core rulebook. He's a Smuggler, so we'll throw him in the Stock Light Freighter, from page 56.

Roark has not improved Starship Gunnery, so he uses his Mechanical Skill. That's 3D+2.

Fire Control on the Stock Light Freighter is 2D. So, Roark uses 5D+2 on a single shot. 4D+2 on a two shots. 3D+2 on three shots.

That's no where near 10D. In fact, it is more like what I said.

Roark's has Starship Piloting 5D+2

The Stock Light Freighter has Maneuverability 0D.

So, again, Roark is throwing about what I said. 5D+2 on his piloting checks, if he does nothing else in the round, like operate the shields.

No where near 10D.

That's a basic character, straight out of chargen, with basic equipment.

Let's go the other route and look at a hero--one of the best in the entire Galaxy, Han Solo.

Han does have 9D Starship Gunnery. And, the Falcon's Fire Control on the Quaddies are 3D. So, he starts at 11D.

And Han, being one of the best pilots in the entire Galaxy, has Starship Piloting 10D. The Falcon has Manuervability 1D. Thus, Han is also throwing 11D for his piloting.

Therefore, the characters in your game, Wil, must have had some incredible bonuses to get skills as high as the Star Wars heroes.

But, playing the game out of the box, is exactly as I said.

My memory of the game is fine. It is YOU, aramis erik, that must have been very liberal with the Skill Points, growing your PCs to be equal to that of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and Darth Vader so that you remember their skill rolls to be routinely as high as you said they were.

With Second Edition, with its dice bloat, you are probably correct in what you say. But, not for First Edition, if played as written.

Last edited:

Well, lets test it, then.

Take the sample character, Roark Garnet, from page 8 of the 1E core rulebook. He's a Smuggler, so we'll throw him in the Stock Light Freighter, from page 56.

Roark has not improved Starship Gunnery, so he uses his Mechanical Skill. That's 3D+2.

Fire Control on the Stock Light Freighter is 2D. So, Roark uses 5D+2 on a single shot. 4D+2 on a two shots. 3D+2 on three shots.

That's no where near 10D. In fact, it is more like what I said.

Roark's has Starship Piloting 5D+2

The Stock Light Freighter has Maneuverability 0D.

So, again, Roark is throwing about what I said. 5D+2 on his piloting checks, if he does nothing else in the round, like operate the shields.

No where near 10D.

That's a basic character, straight out of chargen, with basic equipment.

Let's go the other route and look at a hero--one of the best in the entire Galaxy, Han Solo.

Han does have 9D Starship Gunnery. And, the Falcon's Fire Control on the Quaddies are 3D. So, he starts at 11D.

And Han, being one of the best pilots in the entire Galaxy, has Starship Piloting 10D. The Falcon has Manuervability 1D. Thus, Han is also throwing 11D for his piloting.

Therefore, the characters in your game, Wil, must have had some incredible bonuses to get skills as high as the Star Wars heroes.

But, playing the game out of the box, is exactly as I said.

My memory of the game is fine. It is YOU, aramis erik, that must have been very liberal with the Skill Points, growing your PCs to be equal to that of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and Darth Vader so that you remember their skill rolls to be routinely as high as you said they were.

With Second Edition, with its dice bloat, you are probably correct in what you say. But, not for First Edition, if played as written.

Bob, I was the one that gave the extra dice in creation not Aramis Erik.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Okay got ya. Thanks for the conversation and trip down memory lane. As I said I ran first edition from 87-2000. I was so in-tune with the game I was coming up with skills and ideas I saw published in later editions. I always wanted to work for West End Games. In 2014 I got to speak with Bill Slavicsek about his time on the game. Such an honor.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Okay got ya. Thanks for the conversation and trip down memory lane. As I said I ran first edition from 87-2000. I was so in-tune with the game I was coming up with skills and ideas I saw published in later editions. I always wanted to work for West End Games. In 2014 I got to speak with Bill Slavicsek about his time on the game. Such an honor.

It's an amazing game. And, just for clarity, I love all editions of D6 Star Wars. I do feel that First Edition is a slightly different game than what came later, but I like all editions.

In my old age, simple appeals to me. Which is why I like First Edition Star Wars so much. The later editions of D6 made the rule set more crunchy. I'm into slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am swashbuckling Star Wars action, which First Edition delivers in spades.

aramis erak

Legend
Thank you. I do get tired of the heated debate with you. Here's to hoping that we can just respect each other as gamers in the future.

Not possible - You've earned my profound disrespect. On the other hand, I try to avoid posts that are directly accusatory. I owe you an apology for the tone - but NOT the other content - of my previous two posts. So, in a more civil tone - not out of respect for you, but out of general civility.

1E Benchmarks - core plus SWSB.
Max Starting Skill: 6D for humans; a couple species can exceed this, but not in the relevant skills for stacking.
Fire Control: up to 3D (A-Wing, X-Wing, Millenium Falcon)
Speed: up to 6D (A-Wing)
Handling: up to 4D (A-Wing)

As for Skill Points (Core Rules, page 94) 3-10 per adventure, with an expected of 3-5 per session, as most of the published adventures are 1-3 sessions long in play... Assuming 3 per session - it's only 6 sessions to be able to add a die to a max starting skill... if you want to.

And that's before the rules for increasing the ratings on ships. SW Rules Companion page 26. It's only 18 SP to raise a 3D Fire Control to 4D. (Dice+3 SP per +0D+1)

All first ed sources.

I've run a bunch of Star Wars - few players take more than 1-2 actions per round (in either edition) in combat unless they seriously outclass the opponents. (Given that typical fighter pilots are supposed to be 4D skill... that's 7-9 dice while moving and shooting); ganging up and multiple shots can remove the protection of the typical tie's 4D Piloting + 2D Maneuver - but most players I've run the game for won't take multiple shots which leave them less than 3D over... They might take a close-shoot-open, however, when they can control the range to prevent getting shot - losing 2d per roll... or blow a force point at a key moment to turn a battle with 6 shots at 5D or more each.

In a longer running game (6 months or so of weekly sessions) it's pretty easy for key skills to go up to 7D or even 8D; given my sessions tended to be 6 hours, rather than the typical 3-4, I awarded typically 6-10 per session; in 6 months, all three PC's gunnery was over 6D, as was the ship's fire control on their YT-1300's top gun...

I've seen that effect over 7 different campaigns, 2 of them prior to 2E being released, one of them 1E+RC after 2E was released.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Not possible - You've earned my profound disrespect. .

Well, so much for that olive branch.

You have legions of people who can't stand you and are only nice to you because of the big stick you wield on that other forum.

But, I decline to get further into this.

I've proven my point about First Edition D6 SW above.

Remove ads