Star Wars Minatures: Who's Buying?

Star Wars Minis: Who's Buying?

JDragon

Explorer
The cards for the D&D minis have been B&W so far, but I belive with the new release in Oct, they will have some color to them.

The Star Wars do have some color, to denote groups, but that is all.

Steel_Wind

Legend
One of the guys in my gaming circle bought a Starter pack and a case of boosters in the Star Wars mini line today.

The introduction of Very Rares changes the outcome in terms of collecting from what you would expect, say, had you bought the same number of minis in the Giants of Legend line.

There are 60 miniatures in the First SW Rebel Storm minis set.

After one starter and one case of booster (that's 12 of em), 94 miniatures in all, the outcome was:

46 of the set are now his. He is missing 14 of them, nearly all rares and most of the Very Rares.

He received only 4 very rares from his purchase (Scout on speeder, Probe droid, Sandtrooper on Dewback and Wamppa). There are 12 very rares in the set.

He did get 8 rares as well.

If this product mix is indicative, there is about a 1-in-3 chance of a booster having a very rare.

Upshot: collecting these sets with the introduction of "very rares" is going to get ugly.

In terms of quality, I thought all of the miniatures were well done if not excellent with one exception: I thought the Darth Vader, Dark Jedi (you get him in the Starter box) was poorly painted and detailed.

You do end up with a lot of stormtroopers in various configurations, but in terms of playing wit hthe minis, this is not a bad thing. My gaming circle was looking forward to using the mins for gaming (as opposed to skirmish).

The cards have skirmish stats, but not D20 SW RPG stats.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
KenM said:
So, the boosters are the same price as the DnD minis, but you get one less fig per booster? :\ DnD mini boosters come with 8.
THE big factor is the Star Wars license.

BTW, these figures do look great.

wizardneedsfood

First Post
Well, I pre-ordered a starter and 8 booster packs. Got them Friday night so me and my friend stayed up all night playing a couple of games with those. Really fun so we went out the next day to a local gaming shop and I got 6 more boosters while my friend got a starter and seven boosters. With only 14 boosters though I managed to get almost all of the set, missing only a few rares and three of the very rares.

I've got two of the Leia VR, the Vader VR, the Fett VR, Dewback VR, Rebel Speeder Bike, and some other one I can't remember.

By far though my two fav figures so far are 4-LOM and Mara Jade.

RogueRonin

Explorer
I'm not sure if I'll be buying any, my group rarely plays Star Wars. I looked at the gallery, and most of the minis look pretty cool... But Boba Fett is ... The coolest mini ever...

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I've got mine (and need to get more -- these are awesome figures). I plan on collecting stormtroopers and, with that in mind, I have a Rebel Commando on Speeder Bike to trade away. I left him in the pack. Anyone interested in a trade? I need stormtroopers.

Or a probe droid.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I have a bunch of the old Grenider Star Wars metal figs that they put out when West End games put out out the first Star Wars RPG. If I print out the stat cards, rules, and tiles online, can I enter tournements?? ;)

langolas

First Post
Personally I hate the "collectable" aspect of the game. Reminds me too much of Magic: The Addiction. You have to spend a metric butt-load of $$$ in order to get the figures you want, you wind up with a ton of extras/doubles/ and figures you will probably never use. Of course there will be the websites selling the models individually, but you still get stiffed over that way.

As much of a SW fan that I am I probably will pass on these since I don't play any sort of SW RPG any more. The models do look good though :)

I don't like clicky-tech for that reason: If I want to field a lance of 4 heavies then I shouldn't have to buy 20 boxes to get what I want.

Last edited:

Holy Bovine

First Post
haiiro said:
I only bought D&D minis from the first set, so I don't know if this was true in the later ones, but the cards that come with the SW minis are in color. Perhaps that factors in?

Err, or more likely the fact that it is Star Wars and Lucas has to have his cut. Licensing fees can be very expensive.

Remove ads