Star Wars Minatures: Who's Buying?

Star Wars Minis: Who's Buying?

Steel_Wind

Legend
thalmin said:
BTW, these figures do look great.

Yes they do. In fact, the general quality of nearly all of these figures is really getting damned impressive. The geometry is great, the paint jobs are really getting down to fine details as well.

It's not master painter stuff - but it IS getting better than problably most of the people reading here could do on their own. That's a lot more than could be said for the first D&D mini line.

Overall, I think it's damned impressive you can get this stuff *boom* right out of the box. Its usable, it wears well and it looks really good. Hard to complain about that.

Certain figures lend themselves very well to this production method as well. The Stormtroopers especially appear *designed* for this method of manufacture and look outstanding.

While I am complaining a little about the cost, if you can get this sort of quality for about $1.50 a mini, it's a relatively decent value, overall if you take the long view of it and don't go nuts on buying 'em. The collectible element of it is what drives the price up.

I have resolved to buy a starter box and a few boosters not for RPG play, but to try out the skirmish game with my kids next weekend. Unlike the D&D minis, the underlying game aspect of the minis for Star Wars is more important to me as their use in general RPG play is not something I will likely use all that much.

I'll see how it goes and report back. I'd appreciate it if some people here could also comment on their use in skirmish games, as opposed to RPG play.

I have a feeling I am not alone and the skirmish game for Star Wars is likely to be seen as more intrinsic to their overall value-in-use as compared to the D&D minis.

wizardneedsfood

First Post
The game play of the skirmish game is quick and fun even though we are still getting the rules themselves ingrained.

Friday night my friend and I (he's the only one I've gotten to play so far, though two other guys are expressing interest) played two 100 point games where both games were won by him. We switched sides between the games so he was able to win with both the Rebs and the Imps.

Saturday night we played two 200 point games after we'd gotten a few more figures. First game I played as the Imperials and used a brutal Vader, Sith Lord and Boba Fett combo to kill most of his squad off before Mara Jade capped off the win for my side. Second game I was the Rebels with my army built around 6 grenade chunkers and Jedi Luke and Chewie. His army on the other hand was built around 4-LOM and 18 Stormtroopers. The fight was intense but I managed to kill off his Mara Jade before she could do anything and it went into a battle of attrition. I ended up having Luke and Chewie left facing 4-LOM and 8 'troopers before Chewie was taken down in the same turn as 4-LOM. I then managed to mop up all the boys in white with Luke and pull out a win there.

Sunday we played one more game. A 200 point modified version of Rescue the Princess. By the time my friend had gotten Leia out of her cell, I'd killed a few of his mooks and Chewie early on while he'd killed all 7 of my Stormtroopers, my Quarren Assasins, my probe droid, and my Imperial officer. All I had left was Mara Jade, 4-LOM, and IG-88 while he had three rebel troopers, R2, a commando, a rebel officer, Captive Leia, and Jedi Luke. I managed to head off his squad but Leia slipped behind my trio and made it aboard the ship to safety while Mara and the two bounty hunting droids wiped out her companions. We called that one a draw as Leia was saved but the entire rescue team including Chewie and Luke were destroyed while all three of my Uniques survived.

Remove ads