Star Wars: Republic and Empire (OOC thread)

Shayuri

First Post
Seems like pairs are a good way for Jedi to operate, really. Especially given that the current crop of Jedi are younger and less experienced than in the Old Republic, by and large, and the Galaxy is more dangerous and less stable.

Sort of like galactic police. Everyone has a partner. They watch each other's backs, get each other out of (and maybe into) trouble, and all that.

Rather than use master/padawan pairs, they use more or less equally trained partners.

Or, maybe it's not standard procedure, and this is an unusual situation. We could each have different masters, who each have different reasons to put us on this expedition, leading to interesting possibilities. :)

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I'm curious as to how we would rank in the Academy? I would assume that both characters started pretty much around the time it opened. Would we be high ranking students? Or.... slow learners? lol

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Ooh! Yes, I would like in... So many Jedi characters already but I'd so want to play one too. The concept would be something like a pretty straightforward Lightsaber combatant. He's not strong in the Force, but boy can he swing that blade. Serves also as the shipboard gunner.

drothgery

First Post
I'm curious as to how we would rank in the Academy? I would assume that both characters started pretty much around the time it opened. Would we be high ranking students? Or.... slow learners? lol

Well, the Academy has been around for about 15 years at this point, and there are about a hundred or so Jedi and formally accepted students (humans and races that age similarly formally enter the Academy at sixteen, and typically study for four years there; some recieve informal instruction in the Force earlier). There aren't anywhere near enough Masters to place every student in a formal master/padawan relationship, unless they want to assign padawans to people only a year or two removed from being students themselves. A graduate from Leia's Academy does call himself or herself a Jedi Knight, but for game mechanics purposes likely does not have levels in the Jedi Knight Prestige Class yet (and is probably 4th or 5th level).

What students do after graduating is largely their own affair. Some stay for advanced studies (the Jedi Masters largely did this). Some go out in the world. It's not uncommon for them to formally join the Republic military (the Navy offers a lot of incentives for them to join; Leia thought the practice was a bit over the top, but never did more about it than informally complain; Admiral Serrano thinks Jedi make good officers, and isn't about to discontinue the practice unless the government formally ends it).

So with very few exceptions, New Republic era Jedi Masters are about as skilled as pre-Empire era Jedi Knights (at least when it comes to the Force and lightsabers).

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Ah, that sounds good to me. I was thinking Varin was either human or Zabrak (I love that race for some reason). He will prolly be a human. Soo....... thanks for the info on the Jedi stuff. I am still tossing backgrounds around. Will prolly have one soon.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Ooh, this looks like a great deal of fun. I think in basic concept I'd want to make a New Republic Marine - fulfilling the gunner role in ship-to-ship combat, mainly. I'll have more details on background/character and an idea of build up soon.

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=Varin]

Varin was born on Naboo, actually near the Emperor's Retreat. The irony fell in that his father was an officer in the Rebel Navy. Varin would remember his mother during the Battle of Endor, hurriedly moving around the house. She was cleaning mostly, but Varin was old enough to know that it was just to keep her busy. To keep her from thinking that her husband had probably died.

He was 5 when the Battle happened, but he could see his mother. Standing at the window with tears streaming down her face. His father returned, openly wearing his rebel uniform in an area all too full of stormtroopers. It was then that he had heard the news, oddly it was that day that he could remember first feeling the Force.

Years had passed since that day. Years he had spent studying tactics and what was left of the knowledge of the Force. He had thought about joining the Alliance Navy, to follow his father. It seemed wrong to him. So instead of actually enlisting, he volunteered. It had to do with the incentive package they offered the Jedi that would enlist. To Varin, he could only see it as signing up for greed and quietly tried to keep track of who enlisted for those reasons.

He had heard about the Dark Side and about how it corrupts the person who claims to wield it. It didn't frighten him as much as it made him curious of the history behind both the Light and Dark paths.

...............will finish later. Is going to be a straight Jedi, but will have knowledge about tactics and piloting.
[/sblock]

drothgery

First Post
Okay, so I the current proposals are

Shayuri - introspective Jedi/possibly 'force pilot'
ShaggySpellsword - veteran NCO type/pilot
Friadoc - 'contractor'/pilot
Blackrat - lightsaber expert/gunner
Nac Mac Feegle - marine/gunner
OnlytheStrong - conflicted Jedi/tactician?

I never do first-come/first-serve recruiting, so I'd just note that we still seem to be missing any kind of a pure command track type and/or an engineer type.

Friadoc

Explorer
Well, if folks like, especially as we've a lot of options for potential pilots, I could easily convert Wes into a command track/tactical officer type, with only a minor adjustment to him.

I mean, some of the better officers in the Rebellion, now Republic, were from Corellia. :D

If that's cool with everyone else, that is? Basically, a bit more Wedge, a bit less younger Han, is cool with me.

Remove ads