• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Saga

Armadillo said:
My group, and some others, found that the list of Destinies was too limited, and we worked up additional Destinies: http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Star_Wars_Saga:_Main_Page

My character has been playing with the Revelation Destiny, which has been fun. I like that the hierarchy between Force Points and Destiny points so that often have to really decide when to spend a Destiny point.
There's some neat ideas in there. Thanks for posting the link :)

OStephens said:
For my own games, I add the 1.5-meter step back in from D&D rules. My players and I prefer that.
I guess it can just be chalked up to different styles of play, but nobody in my group misses the "5 foot step," largely because there's rarely a reason to take full-round combat actions anymore; Double/Triple Attack is the only one that comes immediately to mind, and they're only high enough level for the former. Not even the two-gun Rodian pistolero (who says there's something iconic about standing there and blazing away with two heavy blaster pistols).

Henry

Autoexreginated
Donovan Morningfire said:
...nobody in my group misses the "5 foot step," largely because there's rarely a reason to take full-round combat actions anymore; Double/Triple Attack is the only one that comes immediately to mind, and they're only high enough level for the former. Not even the two-gun Rodian pistolero (who says there's something iconic about standing there and blazing away with two heavy blaster pistols).

Same here; with some of the other options now (like the "crooked charge" as I call it) the others in the group really haven't complained much about the 5 foot step being gone. However, the one thing we DID add back in is the "1,2,1,2" of diagonal movement, because ALL of us balked at the loss of additional movement that that generates. (Basically, you lose 1.5 meters out of every 6 when you count all diagonals as two, and the "diamond" profile it generates grates on us.)

Crothian

First Post
When do we get more books? I know Starships come out in December but wasn't there some campaign type book due out some time around now?

Sadly, after I write my part in these things I often have no more idea when they'll be out than anyone else. I do know that Star Wars books can be delayed by thigns that aren't an issue for most RPGs.

According to the Wizards' website, the online adventure path Dawn of Defiance should release the first section son, maybe next month.

According to Amazon, Starships of the Galaxy is due on December 18th, and the Force Unleashed Campaign Setting is due on March 18th, 2008. I don't know how accurate those dates are of course. And there will be more books, but I don't know that they have been announced yet.

It's all coming, and it's all good, but I can't be any more detailed than that. :)

Owen K.C. Stephens
http://owen-stephens.livejournal.com/

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm playing in a regular SWSE game, here's my thoughts:

Grenade Rules seem ... odd. We weren't sure how they worked, exactly, as the GM was attempting to use them on us. He seemed to think that he would end up with a -10 to get it into a square across a mid-sized room.

Force Disarm is stupid-ineffective. I'm a tricked out Ithorian Force Adept with UTF and SF(UTF) and a 16 stat, at 4th level, and my +15 has thus far failed miserably both times I've tried it ON MOOKS. It is, at this point, a wasted power.

Absorb Energy rocks at low levels. My guy has two of them and a Force Focus and managed to suck up about 4x his HP in damage over the course of a combat. Of course the GM then decided Force Users were horribly overpowered (even though I was effectively deadlocked re-upping my Absorb Energy until somebody else could get the guy with the blaster off of me).

On the whole, some things I don't like. The skill system is already pretty obviously going to be one of those. I'm only going to get WORSE, effectively, with the Force as character levels increase, since Defenses will increase twice as fast as my Force skills.

We're playing that Defense is penalized by Condition (since I think it says it right there) and I'm VERY not-fond of Death Spirals. Which, surprise, this creates. If you get hurt bad enough to drop a condition, then you're more likely to get hurt badly enough to drop again, etc etc.

Healing is pretty poor, as well. You get a bucket of HP at first level, but no way beyond rest to recoup any but a few of those HP. Additionally, with Skill Focus and Trained early on, about 2nd level or so, it actually is better to use First Aid on an injured teammate with a low Con than Surgery, since capping out and adding points to the First Aid roll is easy while Surgery does always run the risk of death.

My Ithorian has the Vital Transfer power and first use I rolled the maximum result ... character with 32hp, down to 2hp, and my maxed out Vital Transfer gave him, oooo, 8hp. Not exactly D&D healing, which is fine, but after any significant combat we have to rest for a long time before we're ready for battle, since weapons do so much damage, characters have so many hit points, but there are no means by which to recover them.

--fje

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Any hope to see the Era books done as Delve-style adventures? There are so many elements that work best as encounters rather than monster or ship stat blocks, particularly era specific stuff like tractor beams, Mandelorian battledroids, and swoop gang tactics.

Cheers, -- N

Getting hurt, well, hurts no doubt about it. I presume you haven't found second wind to be particularly useful? My groups generally use it between fights.

Also, since you only benefit from First Aid once per 24 hours, my groups have seen First Aid as step one, and Surgery as step two if someone is still badly injured and needs more healing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads