Star Wars. what era are you playing in? Or who isn't playing in Legacy?

Remathilis

Legend
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Legacy

I'd use Legacy, but not the established "Cade Skywalker" story. Why?

An Empire in Control.
Sith Reborn (and enough of them to use a villains)
The Shattered Jedi (enough to use as PCs, but no tight control like Rise of the Empire)
The Imperial Insurrection faction.
Galactic Alliance acting like Rebels again.
Imperial Knights (a third jedi faction)
No Luke, Han, Chewie or Leia to steal the spotlight.

For many of the reasons I like KotoR, I like Legacy (the movies don't cramp the story). However, Legacy (esp if you ignore Cade & Co) is wide open and there is plenty of room to expand.

drothgery

First Post
I'm going to take my first crack at running a tabletop game pretty soon (after thirteen years as a player...), and it'll be an Old Republic era (specifically, in historical dead space about 150 years post-KotOR II; IMC, only the movies, KotOR, and KotOR II are canon, because I've read all of one SW novel and no comics) SW Saga game.

Destil

Explorer
My opening "Text Scroll" email.

It is a time of growing darkness within the
republic. While the JEDI COUNSEL still
maintains relative peace and prosperity
throughout the core worlds, paranoia
about potential a SITH THREAT has
lead to the formation of the JEDI SEERS,
spreading distrust within the order and
leading some jedi to abandoning the order.

In the outer rim a small ship slowly orbits
the planet Rangar IIII. The crew has received
a tip from the Bothan TEREZ VEL'ALA.
Space pirates, with an increasing
presence in the area, have yet to draw
any attention from the JEDI COUNSEL.

A daughter of a galactic senator, TALNA
OR'RIDA, has had her ship attacked and
been kiddnaped by the pirates. With no
repsonce from the Jedi order, the crew
has agreed to find her...

Basically playing around 200-100 years before events of KoTOR. I had to tweak the cannon a little until it was to my liking as a good time period for allowing Jedi adventures with more diverse backgrounds and allegiances.

ive been meaning to run star wars for awhile now. and when i do it's gonna be in the Legacy timeline. Though I dont have the comics i can get them in trade to catch up.
playing during the movies has that whats left to do feeling, and there isnt enough info on KOTOR era to make me want to play in it.

Simm

First Post
Nope, I don't feel have the bacground to run legacy, when I run it it's going to be either early rebellion (pre ep. 4) or a hombrew.

Gundark said:
I find it funny to see how many people are playing in the Legacy era of Star Wars. I myself am really considering using that era. One of my group is playing in another group and they are using the Legacy era.

Anyone not using Legacy?
Legacy? Not for me. Doesn't feel enough like Star Wars, if it wasn't officially published and somebody told me the idea, I'd swear it was mediocre fanfic, although I thought the same thing about New Jedi Order, and The Crystal Star (the Sith return a century after New Jedi Order and conquer the Galaxy, throwing out the Rule of Two and having a lot of Darths running around creating an order of Grey Jedi who look like a cross between Royal Guard and Jedi Knights who serve them but aren't automatically darksiders, and an antihero pirate/bounty hunter Skywalker who is the only surviving descendant of Anakin Skywalker is one of the few Jedi remaining ect. . .)

For me, Star Wars is the Rebellion Era, or maybe the early New Republic Era.

The Rebellion Era is when the heroes are underdogs, the Empire is mighty, and you can have adventures that tie directly into the events of the movies (something a lot of gamers I know like, like stealing a Lambda shuttle so Rebel SpecOps can use it to go to Endor).

The New Republic era has a lot of the strengths of the Rebellion, such as the Empire is still the enemy, the heroes are still strugging for respectability and power, and cameos from characters the players know from the movies is still easy. However, it's a lot easier to work Jedi PC's in, especially after the Academy is opened. Outright victories against the Empire are a lot more plausible and in tone with the era. You could spend an entire campaign fighting warlords/moffs and defeating renegade Inquisitors/Emperor's Hands/Prophets of the Dark Side, saving entire star systems, liberating planets, and be big heroes, and it fit completely within the established canon and not even running across the characters of the movies once if you didn't want to.

The Clone Wars is a nice "other" era, as it does have movies, and it's a time when lots of Jedi can be running around and you can have all the splendor of the Republic, but it doesn't have quite the gleam of the Rebellion to me.

The New Jedi Order, no thank you. The Yuuzhan Vong always felt "wrong" and very un-Star Wars like, with being "outside" the force and using bizarre biotechnology, and going on decimating the galaxy by practically destroying Coruscant (and Ithor, and countless other worlds), casually killing Chewbacca like a redshirt just to make the "point" that this is a real serious enemy ect.

The Old Republic/Tales of the Jedi/Knights of the Old Republic era could be good, but I don't know enough about the era to run a good game in it. I've got the old d6 sourcebook for the era, but I don't know enough about the KOTOR games to run a game in it comfortably.

Hammerhead

Explorer
The problem with the "official" settings (Rebellion, New Republic, etc.) is that you're generally going to be playing second fiddle to the established heroes.

Stalker0

Legend
The only thing I don't like about legacy is when people mention it I don't know if they mean the comics or the Legacy of the Force Series:(

Remove ads