• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars. what era are you playing in? Or who isn't playing in Legacy?

Odhanan

Adventurer
Gundark said:
I find it funny to see how many people are playing in the Legacy era of Star Wars. I myself am really considering using that era. One of my group is playing in another group and they are using the Legacy era.

Anyone not using Legacy?

Me. I just read Legacy (Broken) for the first time, and I loved it, but if I'm running Star Wars soon, that will probably be a game table mixing 30ish players with teens, so I need an era that evokes something strong for both Prequel and OT fans, allows players to play Jedi if they want to, yet avoid the "all Jedi" set-up for some volume and variations in characterizations... so I go for the Dark Times, between Episode III and IV, to run my campaign.

Link to understand more about Legacy here.

JohnSnow

Hero
Odhanan said:
I need an era that evokes something strong for both Prequel and OT fans, allows players to play Jedi if they want to, yet avoid the "all Jedi" set-up for some volume and variations in characterizations... so I go for the Dark Times, between Episode III and IV, to run my campaign.

Seems to be a common theme. I like the Dark Times myself, and always have. Basically, it always seemed like there would be a lot of good adventure possibilities after the Jedi Purge and before A New Hope. I may start during the Clone Wars, just to have some fun with my variant version of the prequel story, but most of the campaign will be post-Order 66.

If I can get the group to play Saga...

arscott

First Post
I say screw all established cannon. My game isn't going to take place in the SW universe at all. Instead, I'm cobbling together bits of the SW movies, some names and ideas from lucas's earlier drafts of ep4, and a good dose of random crap I just made up. That way, I don't have to deal with prequel or EU ridiculousness, and I can have my PCs be the heroes rather than second fiddle to a bunch of skywalkers.

It's going to be a blast, as long as I can find a time and place where we can actually have a game.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
You know, building on that last post, you could simply envision a parallel universe running along the same lines as the Star Wars movies, but with a totally different set of protagonists.

So, Padme dies in childbirth, and neither of the two Jedi twins survive. Hounded throughout the galaxy, Obi Wan winds up on Tatooine, where after twenty years, encounters a group of rogues, outcasts, misfits, etc., some of whom may be force sensitive. One day, a rebel blockade runner is shot out of the sky and lands in the near vicinity, all hands lost, but they find hidden among the wreckage the unsalvagable remains of two droids, from which they learn of the hunt for Obi Wan and the connection to Dantooine.

Events transpire from there. Maybe Han is really an Imperial thug and Chewie a psychotic berzerker who betray the protagonists to the Empire. Maybe Obi Wan survives his encounter with Vader. Maybe they never make it to Yavin 4 and the Death Star becomes the tool by which the Emporer seeks to crush the rebellion, and all that stands in the are the characters.

I know, lots of folks have thought along these lines before. Just my two cents.

No Legacy for me -- I'm of the opinion that Legacy and NJO aren't terribly SW in feel, and I also agree with wingsandsword that Legacy reads like mediocre fanfic. I pretty much ignore everything after the Thrawn trilogy.

I'm currently trying to decide between the following eras:

* The classic Rebellion era. WEG published lots of good game ideas for this era that didn't involve the canon characters at centre stage, but you still have to work around the established events.

* Dark Times era. Most of the best elements of Rise of the Empire + Rebellion eras, without the constraints of canon.

* Clone Wars era. There's always something playable in a "hot" war.

* KOTOR/Tales of the Jedi era. This era rocks, and there aren't a lot of attention-grabbing canon characters to hog the spotlight from the PCs. In EU terms, this is the only era worth preserving or playing IMO.

KoOS

The Green Adam

First Post
Let's see...I've run about a dozen Star Wars campaigns over the years, seen all the movies between 5 and 25 times and own every DK and art book they've made...What the heck is Legacy Era? You mean those books with the Solo kids and the organic Borg? That's not Star Wars to me, its little more then glorified fan fiction. No thanks. For me its Rebellion Era, Prequel Era or my own post-Episode VI Era that basically ignores much of what has already been published.

The way I look at it, I was doing it first so I'm not changing it.

;)

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
No legacy here (just heard of it now.) Mine is set about 10 years before Episode IV. The Death Star has just started construction, the party may be going to Alderaan. These loose bands of "rebels" are causing havok and they don't want none of that. They just want to get a new swoop and continue on with there racing and bounty hunting and actually working for this new Galactic Empire. Should be fun.

Klaus

First Post
The Green Adam said:
Let's see...I've run about a dozen Star Wars campaigns over the years, seen all the movies between 5 and 25 times and own every DK and art book they've made...What the heck is Legacy Era? You mean those books with the Solo kids and the organic Borg? That's not Star Wars to me, its little more then glorified fan fiction. No thanks. For me its Rebellion Era, Prequel Era or my own post-Episode VI Era that basically ignores much of what has already been published.

The way I look at it, I was doing it first so I'm not changing it.

;)
My Legacy game will be set in the comic book timeline, about 100 years after the Solo kids and the organic Borg. It's far more insteresting than the Yuuzan Vong war timeline.

Odhanan

Adventurer
What the heck is Legacy Era? You mean those books with the Solo kids and the organic Borg? That's not Star Wars to me, its little more then glorified fan fiction.

It isn't. The Legacy era is set in 130 After the Battle of Yavin. The first arc of the comics, "Broken", follows a descendant of the Skywalker family, Cade Skywalker, who after the massacre of the Jedi of Ossus becomes a bounty hunter and refuses to even hear the Skywalker name. It pits the new Sith Order against an Empire that has been double-crossed by them. There is a Princess... but she's the daughter of the Emperor on the run. It's very much Star Wars in feel, with the same sort of motifs used, but rearranged to form different story arcs. A bit like the suggestion of "parallel universe" for SW Saga presented in the posts above.

I always was rather weary of the EU, but when I read Broken, it felt Star Wars to me.

PS: you can find the trade paperback Broken on Amazon.com: simply search for "Star Wars Broken" and you should be there. It's worth a read.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
One of the best stories so far has been the self-contained "Noob" (in issue #4, iirc), detailing the routine of a rookie stormtrooper, and featuring the Cthulhu-esque-est Sith Lord you've ever seen (a quarren).

Remove ads