• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars. what era are you playing in? Or who isn't playing in Legacy?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I like to play and run predominantly in the Old Republic era. It's StarWarsy and open and, for me, has a lot of excuses for a bunch of Jedi to be off and doing things places without making it either "against the backdrop of a war" or "galaxy-shifting in consequences".

I ran a Padawans of the Old Republic game for a while that I liked quite a bit.

I think the Jedi are the shining dot of IP in SW, so that's what I prefer to focus on. A lot of people like to focus on non-jedi with the Force and all as backdrop ... but if I'm just doing "sci-fi-fantasy" I've got a whole bunch of other things I could be working with. If I'm playing SW, I'm messing with Sith and Jedi and lightsabers and some wuxia jumping around dueling action.

--fje

Aeric

Explorer
Currently playing in the time period between Episodes III and IV (can't remember off the top of my head if it has a specific name). We have stormtroopers and a repressive Empire, and we have a PC Jedi (possibly two) without messing with canon. It's a win-win situation except for the fact that we as players know how everything is going to end (Luke blows up the Death Star, Vader kills the Emperor, etc.).

AK Browncoat

Explorer
My group is playing in the Legacy era, but not the comic legacy, the novel legacy era (40 aby) so right after NJO era/Swarm war ends... Pretty much right before the first novel of the Legacy era starts.

Nifft said:
What are the non-Legacy options for post-movies era?

Thanks, -- N
The entire New Republic Era, which is one of my favourites. Still a big Empire to fight, though it shrinks over the years.

After that you hit the NJO era, which gives another major war.

Then after that the Legacy era starts...not the comics, which are a good 100 years INTO the Legacy era, but the novel series.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Nifft said:
What are the non-Legacy options for post-movies era?

Thanks, -- N

Well, there's the Thrawn period, which takes place only a few years after Ep VI.

There's the Jedi Academy Era, which takes place in the years after thrawn but before the Vong invasion (cf. the "Jedi Knight" video games and the Kevin Anderson novels).

There's the New Jedi Order, which centers around the Vong invasion and its aftermath.

And then there's the Legacy of the Force/Legacy era. "Legacy of the Force" represents the ear about 40 years ABY, and the "Legacy" era is 140 or so years ABY.

I'm sure this could be further subdivided, but this seems to me to represent where much of the action took place.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So basically, one could just ignore the Vong and Legacies and not miss much in terms of campaign options. Rebuilding the Republic may take a while, there are always New Mandelorians (or whatever) who need a good smiting, etc. Cool.

- - -

With respect to tech levels, how do people deal with the tech stagnation of the SW Universe, in contrast with the perception of progress? Do you use giant "reset" events? Like, Hyperspace is mysteriously "down" for 100 out of every 1,000 years, and many (but not all) planets fall to barbarism during the long, silent hyper-night?

Thanks, -- N

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
wingsandsword said:
The Rebellion Era is when the heroes are underdogs, the Empire is mighty, and you can have adventures that tie directly into the events of the movies (something a lot of gamers I know like, like stealing a Lambda shuttle so Rebel SpecOps can use it to go to Endor).

One arc of our old SW campaign had us following the plot of ESB by about two weeks. That was surprisingly fun, actually; the highlight for me was using the ion cannon to eliminate the one Imperial frigate orbiting Hoth after the fight...and then getting paid a salvage fee for reporting it.

Brad

Klaus

First Post
Nifft said:
So basically, one could just ignore the Vong and Legacies and not miss much in terms of campaign options. Rebuilding the Republic may take a while, there are always New Mandelorians (or whatever) who need a good smiting, etc. Cool.

- - -

With respect to tech levels, how do people deal with the tech stagnation of the SW Universe, in contrast with the perception of progress? Do you use giant "reset" events? Like, Hyperspace is mysteriously "down" for 100 out of every 1,000 years, and many (but not all) planets fall to barbarism during the long, silent hyper-night?

Thanks, -- N
Technology, like space-crossing vessels, advances at "speed of plot".

For instance, I'm making a unique new droid NPC, who is not only Force-sensitive, he's also a Sith. For now I'm calling him Darth \/4|)3R.

Klaus said:
Technology, like space-crossing vessels, advances at "speed of plot".

For instance, I'm making a unique new droid NPC, who is not only Force-sensitive, he's also a Sith. For now I'm calling him Darth \/4|)3R.
And I'm revoking your Star Wars privilages. :p

Remove ads