• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stardust (Spoilers)

I am confused by the appelation "simple." Realistic emotion, fairy tale rules and logic... this is really no "simpler" than most films, and actually far more complicated than the usual by-the-numbers action flick or what passes for political thriller nowadays.

Brogarn

First Post
Both the girlfriend and I liked it. Her more than me and she typically dislikes "fantasy" type movies. Bummer about the box office numbers. Hope it does better over time on DVD rentals and sales.

Jaws

First Post
Brogarn said:
Bummer about the box office numbers. Hope it does better over time on DVD rentals and sales.
Only making $9 million on opening weekend for a $70 million picture isn't good.

j.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Jaws said:
Only making $9 million on opening weekend for a $70 million picture isn't good.

j.

Meh, look at the reaction on this thread. People on this board are the target audience, the people who will love this movie. And yet half of us are unwilling to see it, while being perfectly willing to see the next big movie with explosions.

In the end, we get what we deserve: more blockbuster mindless action movies, and fewer movies like Serenity and Stardust.

Einan

First Post
joshhg said:
Yeah, Stardust is one of the few Neil Gaiman books I won't (or haven't yet) read, because it is targeted to teenage girls.

Poppycock and sillitude! Teen girls will like it, but only in the respect that it's an excellent story and teen girls might appreciate such things. It's more written as a fairy tale, in the vein of Gaiman's excellent Shakespeare allusions in Sandman. Think of as a spiritual sibling to The Princess Bride and you'll be closer than "targeted to teenage girls." Pfft.

Einan

Jaws

First Post
GSHamster said:
And yet half of us are unwilling to see it, while being perfectly willing to see the next big movie with explosions.

In the end, we get what we deserve: more blockbuster mindless action movies, and fewer movies like Serenity and Stardust.
I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it.

j.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I think Princess Bride is an apt comparison. Both are very similar in their humor and storytelling goals.

I would not quite call it a chick flick... more a family film. But I saw it with the gf on Friday and we were both entertained.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
joshhg said:
Yeah, Stardust is one of the few Neil Gaiman books I won't (or haven't yet) read, because it is targeted to teenage girls. I've been told it is a great book, and it would make a good movie, but it just isn't what I want.
I've read the book about four or five times -- first when it came out as a comic format, then several times as an illustrated hardback book, and finally in its non-illustrated form (much less satisfying to me.) I think you're quite mistaken. What Stardust (the story) is is a fairy tale. It may or may not be to your taste, but it's definitely not aimed towards teenage girls.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads