• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E State of D&D

Huntsman57

First Post
OK, this is off the topic a bit, but what is the "lack of danger immediacy" you are referring to? I'm guessing every group will have differing opinions on this, but I've found 5e to be pretty "intense" on the danger side of things. Heck, 4e is really the one that appeared to kill the "danger" in the game. I think 5e has done a decent job of bringing that back. Not quiet as "dangerous" as 1e or 2e, but certainly closer than 4e ever was (or Pathfinder for that matter, both those systems are just crazy "god-makers", lol!).

I think you may be onto something with the "rose colored glasses" reference.

5E is balanced around wearing the party down and using up their resources. You're never in a spot where "one mistake and this moment could be my last" in 5E. I find it quite boring as a player personally. I've joined a number of games and just couldn't get into it. Unless the DM is committed to burying the party under an onslaught of edless encounters, or a single encounter that could cause a TPK, there's no spot where a character is down to a hanful of hitpoints, and are brought to -10 outright, or you forgot to check that door for traps and die instantly. Mistakes in 5E can perhaps be felt in the long run as resources are depleted more quickly than they otherwise might if the players were competant, and working as a team, but I wouldn't use that to describe the system as "intense" by any stretch. 2E and 3.5 were rather thrilling. Any battle could be your last if you weren't on your toes, as it should be. When you came out on top you really felt like it was your quick thinking and solid teamwork that was responsible for your survival. That's a good feeling, and it's a feeling that I don't get from playing in 5E despite otherwise enjoying the edition. Thus the changes I made as a DM.

Sure about that? Looks to me like lots of people have actually left and embraced past editions and have given up on forums. Before the Wizards forum closed, there wasn't that many people hanging around. Nothing like the 3rd and 4th edition eras.

Seems like a lot less voices out there to give an opinion.

But could that be because forums are less populace in general, having been replaced by Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr?
Isn't this like crying "dooooom" because D&D is less present on newsgroups and has fewer RSS feeds?

(But, regardless, ENWorld is getting a LOT more traffic than it used to. There's a lot of discussions here.)

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Considering how much offense you are takeing to his statement you may or may not be proving his point.
It's impossible for me to be proving his point, as you have just illustrated by having genuinely no idea what degree of offense I've taken (which for the record, is exactly none).

mflayermonk

First Post
I completely agree with your preconceived notion on the state of D&D (and yes I mean you, you superior internet denizen).

Please fill this post with XP and Laughs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
But could that be because forums are less populace in general, having been replaced by Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr?
Isn't this like crying "dooooom" because D&D is less present on newsgroups and has fewer RSS feeds?

(But, regardless, ENWorld is getting a LOT more traffic than it used to. There's a lot of discussions here.)

And also, 5e DOMINATES online discussions on all forums, and that includes this forum and Reddit in the analysis. See here.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
And also, 5e DOMINATES online discussions on all forums, and that includes this forum and Reddit in the analysis. See here.

Holy crap, that's increased since I last looked at it!

I looked at that for this thread, and then thought, why bother?

But I am glad someone posted it. D&D is back to the dominate rpg, by any and every possible measure we have access to. That doesn't mean they couldn't do more for us, but their strategy is not the result of weakness or cluelessness. Far from it.

Actually one sign, threads like this. At one point they were so frequent I ended up fighting with a mod over putting them in their own forum.. lets just say they where really frequent. You could have 3 or 4 on the 5E page at the same time.

This time, its been weeks, maybe a month, since I noticed one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I looked at that for this thread, and then thought, why bother?

But I am glad someone posted it. D&D is back to the dominate rpg, by any and every possible measure we have access to. That doesn't mean they couldn't do more for us, but their strategy is not the result of weakness or cluelessness. Far from it.

Actually one sign, threads like this. At one point they were so frequent I ended up fighting with a mod over putting them in their own forum.. lets just say they where really frequent. You could have 3 or 4 on the 5E page at the same time.

This time, its been weeks, maybe a month, since I noticed one.

No, we have at least one other going. :)

Remove ads