Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzumaki

First Post
So sad. I wouldn't catch his show often, but he's one of the very few people I've ever seen who struck me as being truly genuine. He may have been the 'crocodile' hunter, but he treated every animal, living or dead, as something precious and deserving respect. I hope his wife knows how many people she has to fall back on and his children (Bindi Sue, 8, and Robert, 2) always know how great their dad was.

I'm sorry, I thought he was a pain in the arse. Doesn't mean I wanted him dead, or that I'm glad he is, but I always thought he was annoying and phony. I also hated his politics and thought his show was idiotic, and his zoo in Queensland was an ego trip with fences. Again, that doesn't mean I'm in any way happy that he's dead; I'm just saying I thought he was annoying.

Zander

Explorer
I did find his exuberance a little grating but at the same time I admired his dedication. I also found his programmes interesting and informative.

Despite my misgivings about his delivery, I was shocked and saddened to hear of his passing. He was a genuinely brave man. :(

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
At least he died doing what he loved. I was never really a fan but always watched because the kids enjoyed it. RIP, Steve.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The man was a great booster for wildlife preservation and education. Unfortunately, he made his name by pushing the limits of safety in dealing with the animals. I'm sorry that it finally caught up with him.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Very sad. I did think it was nearly inevitable that he'd be seriously injured at some point but "killed instantly"? Wouldn't have guessed that.

My heart goes out to his family and especially his daughter. It sounds like they were exceptionally close and I'm sure this will be very hard on her.

I'll bet if he had to choose a way to go out, it would be something like this (though I'd bet "eaten by crocodile" would top the list). Freaky accident, though -- what are the odds of being stuck in the heart by a stingray spine? Stingrays are usually pretty mild-mannered unless stepped on or severely molested.

Can we get a CR check on that ray? Bet it had a "fiendish" template ...

CNN has a report up now.

Basically, he managed to get in cornered to where it felt threatened, so it shoot up with it's tail.

That's what they do to defend themselves. Hence, Sting-Ray. There is a lot of muscle power in that move, enough to pierce about anything.

It may have been freaky that it got him in a vital organ, but that's what they do.

It's a sad day, but it should serve as a warning.

Animals CAN be very dangerous, even to the professionals.

Be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads