Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankthedm

First Post
Fishbone said:
I realize that, but people are saying ludicrous things like
"I'm sure it was how he wanted to go." Yeah, he wanted to be envenomed and bayoneted by a bottom feeder.
"Hey, it could have been worse!" Yeah, it could have been worse, but regardless, I'm pretty sure if asked Irwin wouldn't have put "serrated animal part right through the heart" high on his ways to die.
I suspect he was a thrill seeker, they seek the adrenal rush that come from putting one's life on the line. Rather than basejump, skydive or some other such activity, he coupled his thrill with his political beliefs and got a bit too close to things with sharp teeth and other lethal parts to draw attention to the political agenda of conservation.

As far as the incident with the crocodile, if he wants to put his kid in a risky situation to implant in the minds of people the false idea the animals are less dangerous than perceived, that is between him and his wife. And honestly, I’d assume Mr Irwin had a decent idea of the bounds of safety with zoo animals.

6pakofdwarves said:
I completely disagree with this statement, and find it somewhat offensive that you would pick this time to ridicule the man. I grew up on a farm and I was around animals that kill more people a year than crocodiles from the time I was born. My parents took me into the barn around cows and bulls all my life. Does that make my dad an idiot? Or someone who knew what he was doing, and enjoyed sharing it with his children. He was not "done in" while performing an idiotic stunt, it was nothing more than a freak accident. I love how his detractors are trying to make it so much more than it is. The man did more good for conservationism than nearly anybody else in the last decade, we should celebrate his life. Not ridicule him in death.
If you would like to celebrate his efforts for his political agenda, you are more than free to do so. What your father did with you involving domesticated animals with lethal horns and hooves is between him, your mother and you. Cattle have a higher kill count because people are around them more often than crocodiles. Heck, most people try to avoid large predators like crocodiles, as opposed to cattle which are even use yearly for mass attempted suicide in Pamplona{to which I say Go Bulls!].

It is a shame he died, but his causes were not mine. To me, he was another one of the people who want wolves "reintroduced".

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
frankthedm said:
As far as the incident with the crocodile, if he wants to put his kid in a risky situation to implant in the minds of people the false idea the animals are less dangerous than perceived, that is between him and his wife.
Only because it was not in the US. If it was in the US, it would be between him, his wife, and the authorities. Apparently, his idiotic stunt prompted some additional Australian laws so no other idiot will put his baby in danger like that.
6pakofdwarves said:
I grew up on a farm and I was around animals that kill more people a year than crocodiles from the time I was born. My parents took me into the barn around cows and bulls all my life. Does that make my dad an idiot?
Yes. Why would you not think so?

6pakofdwarves

First Post
Well, by your reasoning I2000 I am an idiot as well. We have a dog AND children, the horror! Oh, aaaaand I put my kids in the car and drive them places...probably the single most dangerous activity that exists. Life is not without risk, it's not like he tossed the baby in the water or that my folks let me loose to run around the bulls feet by meself when I was a toddler. I don't want my children growing up in a bubble, and I pity any children you have or will have. It would seem they will never get to leave the house or experience life.

But anyway, I guess we have what would be called a fundamental disagreemant on a very basic level. Suffice to say, I feel his death was tragic and the world was a better place for him.

And to frankthedm I will never understand people who feel conservationism is a "political" thing. To me it seems it would be self evident that the more nature we preserve the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads