Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostwind

First Post
Regardless of one's own personal feelings about Steve Irwin and his vibrant personality and style, no one can deny the amount of attention that he was able to generate on world wildlife conservation and awareness. He was a passionate and very dynamic person who not only loved what he did but loved sharing it with others. In today's world, that is a rare and admirable quality.

In his short lifespan, Steve Irwin did more for wildlife conservation and bringing it right into your primetime TV and living room than any other person has since the likes of Jacques Cousteau and Marlin Perkins. That is a phenomenal accomplishment, especially in this day and age. His loss has created a void that won't be filled for some time to come.

werk

First Post
Fishbone said:
Personally, I always though a venomous snake was going to do him in.

Me too, I thought a cobra or mamba or something horribly venomous would get a bite.

Here are some immortal quotes:

I'm a proud Australian, a very, very proud Australian.

So fear helps me from making mistakes, but I make lot of mistakes.

I believe our biggest issue is the same biggest issue that the whole world is facing, and that's habitat destruction.

I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message.

No matter where you go and what you do in America, you turn the tele on and you're confronted with violence.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
werk said:
Here are some immortal quotes:

"My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it's shaky or slightly out of focus, I don't give a rip. Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go, 'Crikey!' just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me."

-Hyp.

nerfherder

Explorer
Breaking news from the BBC

This just in...

Stingray.jpg

Crikey!

Cheers,
Liam

6pakofdwarves

First Post
At least this time, he didn't have his baby son with him. Steve Irwin was an idiot and I am quite frankly not surprised he was done in by an animal during another idiotic stunt. I'm just glad no innocent child was killed or injured as part of it.

I completely disagree with this statement, and find it somewhat offensive that you would pick this time to ridicule the man. I grew up on a farm and I was around animals that kill more people a year than crocodiles from the time I was born. My parents took me into the barn around cows and bulls all my life. Does that make my dad an idiot? Or someone who knew what he was doing, and enjoyed sharing it with his children. He was not "done in" while performing an idiotic stunt, it was nothing more than a freak accident. I love how his detractors are trying to make it so much more than it is. The man did more good for conservationism than nearly anybody else in the last decade, we should celebrate his life. Not ridicule him in death.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Xath said:
The article I read said she's treking through mountains in Tasmania. Noone has been able to contact her as of yet.
I read she was contacted day-of, though there was probably quite a delay.

Blood Jester

First Post
Imperialus said:
at least it sounds like his death was pretty much instantaneous. That’s pretty lucky considering his line of work. My logic has always been that if I have to get killed crossing the street one day, I'd rather get creamed by a bus than a civic.

Well, the part about him pulling the barb out himself would imply "not instantaneous".

And from what I have read, it was not a punctured heart that killed him, just rapid cardiovascular failure caused by the toxin.

It is really rather sad. He was a decent guy, and this was a plain old accident where he overlooked a hidden animal, it felt threatened, and nailed him in conditions where neither his reflexes, nor ability to read an animal's body-language could help.

I wasn't his biggest fan, but this is a sad, sad event.

Edit: Sorry, I was quoting from later stories "Videotape of Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin shows him pulling a deadly stingray barb from his chest just before he died."

Last edited:

Sidekick

First Post
Hmm I can’t say I’m surprised he’s dead, but it is sad. Say what you like about him (I wasn’t his biggest fan, but he was entertaining in some ways) but he did press the conservation and habitat destruction issues into Australian politics and mainstream awareness.

Which is no small feat (6th level plus at least).

But in his line of work, old age & retirement was never going to happen. Danger level right up there with a vulcanologist. And how many of them get to retire? Bugger all, most get fried by lava.

And last I heard his wife found out on the radio. That would suck.

werk

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I read she was contacted day-of, though there was probably quite a delay.

"His wife was on a walking tour in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania at the time, and returned via a private plane from Devonport to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.[31]"

"Tasmania Police this afternoon confirmed his American-born wife Terri was travelling in Tasmania, where she is reported to be trekking on Cradle Mountain.

A spokeswoman said police had made contact with Mrs Irwin and "passed on a message relating to the death of her husband.""

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads