Stonefist Academy - The Beginning

Axel

First Post
Olek

Realising nobody else was going to continue the story, Olek climbed back onto his bar stool with only a short pause.

"The small dog, most beloved companion of the boy Rollen, whom the light of Heironeous had saved from certain death scant hours before, came bolting up from behind us. None saw her begin that charge, but all here saw how it ended. For a dog to take on a wolf easily three times her size is a noble thing. To do it so well and effectively is something I do not expect to see again in my lifetime."

"Sadly, the dog's charge was her last. The remaining wolf cruelly put her down in retaliation for the gaping bite mark in its side." Olek pauses for a moment, letting those that were present remember the dog's unselfish sacrifice.

"Still, the battle was far from won. The air around us was thick with arcane magicks, arrows, curses and battle cries. Yet beast refused to die. Until, that is, divine providence showed it's hand once more. The might of Moradin the All-Father and Heironeous the brave combined in two mighty blows that fell at the same time. Lunne's sword cleaved the wolve's left flank while my axe broke its front leg. To send this evil creature to meet its maker, an arrow from Daelyn here struck the wolf's neck. It buried itself up to the feathers, mind you. This creature would not rise again!"

Olek drained his refilled mug, and stepped down. The story was almost fully told now. He would happily let someone else finish it, and listen in contentment with his ale. Well, at least these two know how to tell a story properly...

jackslate45

First Post
As Daelyn did not seem to be recovering, Lune decides to end this tale.

Standing up tall, Lune continues with "After we had rescued our dying friend, we went to investigate, and found that these dire wolves themselves were protecting their young. Small, innocent, no bigger than the mug in my hand" he says, raising his somewhat empty glass. "Rollen, grieved though he was at loosing two of his friends and companions, decided to raise these pups as a tribute to his dogs. He promised us he would raise them correctly, and from the trust I could see in his dog, I have no doubt he will."

Lune pauses before continuing "To the end of one journey, and the start of many more. Cheers!"

Axel

First Post
Olek

"AYE!" shouts Olek, getting into the spirit of things properly and standing up. "To travelling far from home!" he adds before draining his third mug.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The few faces that decided to listen to the tale raise their mugs at the end of the story. You are not sure if it was due to the story itself, or that it was over, but it doesn't matter now. The barkeep sends over a round of drinks, as Olek stares at the mugs and sniffs. His dwarven senses take in the smell as his eyes light up. It would seem that perhaps even this far away from home, there was still the mark of fine dwarven ale, as he recognizes it as Gunderg's Dwarven Ale of Old; a rare and pricey drink.

The barkeep waves off any offer of coin, as he walks back to the kitchen area, managing the orders and guests. Tonight was turning out to be a good night, save that Silvas had not decided to join.

ahayford

First Post
Daelyn, still trying to catch his breath from the strong ale, raises his mug. He surreptitiously pours it in a nearby plant.

To traveling far from home. May we all find what we seek, and may that which seeks us, not find us.

Daelyn grins and then drinks a glass of waters to clear the fire from his gullet.

Axel

First Post
Olek

"Aye, to finding what we seek", Olek chimed in after Daelyn's toast. Maybe it was the drink affecting him, or the familiar ritual, or even the smell of his mug of Golderg's, but Olek felt a sense of trust with the companions around him.

"Gentlemen, I fear I have made a mistake in coming to this academy and have thrown a good life away back home. You see, I do not know what I seek. Only that I could not find it at home. Tell me, if you can, what do you seek here? Maybe I can find some reason beyond being irresponsible for myself in your reasons."

Graybeard

Explorer
Miranda

Miranda lay on her bed after stashing her meager belongings away in her room. Some of the others had gone down to the local tavern to celebrate their victory today. She didn't really feel like celebrating. She was tired from the events of the day.

It wasn't the most comfortable bed she had ever slept on but it wasn't the worst either. As she lay there, she felt the familiar pull of sleep on her consciousness. She let herself be pulled to sleep since she was quite tired after the events of the day.

She still wasn't sure where her life was going. Part of her wanted to go back to her former, simpler life. A life of serving customers in her family's inn. A life where she would likely have been married by now or nearly married at least. The other part of her was eager to see what her new life would bring. Wanted to see all that she could, learn all that she could, and experience adventure and excitement.

She had expressed these thoughts to her mentor on several occasions. Her mentor would never tell her what to do, only to follow her heart and do what she felt was the right thing.

As she started to drift off to sleep, familiar and yet strange images flooded her head. They were nearly exactly the same as the dreams she had been having since she became sick 2 years ago. Images of battles with blasts of flame, ice, and acid flying about. Armored men with large swords fighting strange beasts. The one constant image in all her dreams was that of a dragon flying above the battle. The image of the dragon was always a little unclear. The coloring was light, possibly white or even silver.

She wasn't sure how long she lay there sleeping and dreaming. When she woke, she was almost as tired as she had been when she lay down. Sliding off the bed, she ran a brush through her hair and straightened her clothing. She might as well head down to the tavern and join Olek and the others. She still didn't feel like celebrating but perhaps a drink or two would make her feel better.

She slipped through the door of the tavern just as Olek was questioning his reasons for being at the Academy.

"Gentlemen, I fear I have made a mistake in coming to this academy and have thrown a good life away back home. You see, I do not know what I seek. Only that I could not find it at home. Tell me, if you can, what do you seek here? Maybe I can find some reason beyond being irresponsible for myself in your reasons."

This made Miranda stop and stare at the Dwarf. She had not expected to hear doubts from the boastful warrior. Perhaps there was more to him than first impression. She quietly slipped up to the bar and ordered a light ale and paid the barkeep. Trying to stay relatively unnoticed, she slipped her way over to where Olek and the others were drinking.

Hello Olek, sorry I am late in arriving. I was more tired than I previously thought. To answer your question, I too, was unsure why I came to the Academy. After a brief nap just now, I believe I now have an answer to that question. I need to know who I am and what I am. People that know me would say that I am Miranda Simon, fledgling spellcaster and former server at her family's inn. That is not enough. I often have strange dreams involving great battles against strange beasts that I cannot name. In my dreams there is always a light colored dragon circling above the battle. I need to know what these dreams mean. I was told once that all dreams have meaning. No one can tell me what these dreams mean. A wise woman once told me that only I can find the true meaning of theses dreams. It is my determination to discover who and what I am beyond my name and occupation. Hopefully with the help of the Academy and you fine people, I can answer that question in the future. Will you help me in my quest good warrior?

jackslate45

First Post
Lune is somewhat surprised by the sudden arrival of another of the companions from today. However, he listens to Miranda's story with rapt attention, surprised at the detail of the story.

Afterwards, he nods and says "We apparently are all on a journey, one to find ourselves, and where we belong. I too, came here not only for training, but too understand why I was given these powers."

A swig of the drink, and a shudder at the strong after taste of the rare drink before he continues. "It seems that, Master Olek, we are unable to give you an answer for your question. We are able to assist you in finding the question for yourself."

Axel

First Post
Olek

Olek smiled a little, mostly to himself. "Well, whatever the question is I am sure the answer is, at least in part, beer," he said, raising his mug for another mouthful Gunderg's.

"Have a seat young lady and tell us of your dreams. It seems you're closer to knowing the question than any of us, and I will gladly hear more tales of dragons. Your powers seem born to you, whereas Lune and Daelyn seem to have learned theirs through a natural talent. Sadly, my own powers are limited to large biceps and thighs - which make me far from unique."

Graybeard

Explorer
Miranda

Miranda pulled up an empty seat and sat down with her new classmates. She briefly debated how much of her past she should tell them but ultimately decided that they should know about her and her life thus far. It was information that could be useful in the future. If something bad should happen to her, at least they would know where her family lived.

She quickly drained her ale and motioned to the barkeep for a refill.

"I'm not sure where to start as most of my life has been uneventful. I grew up in the town of Riverbend where my family owns an inn called The Silver Dragon. I was about 13 years of age when the dreams began. My abilities started to manifest at the same time. Small magical items would sometimes appear without any conscious effort on my part. My dreams back then usually only involved dragons. There were usually at least 4 dragons in my dreams. Some would be flying and the others would be sitting around me. I could not understand what they were saying but they looked at me as though they were appraising me or evaluating me. The dreams would always end when they made some sort of decision. Just before I turned 14 years of age, I became extremely ill. My parents told me that strange thinsg happened in my room during that time. Items were broken or destroyed by magical energies. My dreams intensified when I was ill. A local cleric of Pelor cured my illness. She explained what was happening to me and a few days later, I traveled to Greenhaven. That is where I met my mentor Lia Siannodel. She worked with me for the next 2 years until she said she could not teach me anymore. She said that I needed to travel to learn more about my abilities. The only way I could learn more about my abilities was to use them more often. Lia said I would then gain greater control over them and would, in time, learn even more powerful spells. During all this time, I continued to have dreams of dragons. Their images were always unclear but I could tell that they were dragons and were light in color. As time passed, the dreams became more involved. Soon I was dreaming of being in a great battle with magical energies hurling through the air, great and powerful warriors slashing at each other with swords and axes, large and strange looking beasts attacking everywhere, and dragons flying overhead. It is if I am an invisible observer to the battle. I do not know if this is some sort of future prediction or not. Is this a battle that will be fought or may be fought? What part do I play in all of this? It is all very confusing to me. If I am the cause of this battle, then how can I prevent it? Am I supposed to prevent it? Is it a battle for the safety of the kingdom or of the world? I seek answers to these questions and others. Something led me here to the Academy. I know not what. Perhaps Pelor herself guided my journey here. Perhaps I have some destiny yet not revealed? she related to the others.

She picked up her mug of ale and stared into it for a moment before taking a large swig. Ale did not bother her. She had been drinking it for several years now. Anything stronger, on the other hand, nearly knocked her to the floor.

"I have met many people on my journey here. Olek, you are only the 2nd Dwarf to have crossed my path. The first was a cobbler I met in Greenhaven. He was quite talented but his demeanor was often grumpy. When we first met, I thought you to be overly boastful and brash. Hearing you this evening has altered my opinion."

Remove ads