Stonefist Academy - The Beginning

Axel

First Post
Olek

Olek struggled to control his frustration in front of the Academy Masters. "Are all of you so overcome by this experience and the death of a dog that you would not celebrate your achievements? While Lune is probably right, like most clerics, you should all recognise things you do well and rightly proclaim them! The proper time to do so is when we are safely home again - for home here is I suppose - over a barrel of Mushroom Ale. If there is any, of course. Though we can probably find some poor substitute if necessary," he said, letting his exasperation get the better of him.

ahayford

First Post
Perhaps a little watered wine then. I still want to go through that orc's possessions before the morrow. But I wouldn't want to miss a proper dwarf tradition.

Graybeard

Explorer
Miranda

Miranda was silent and thoughtful while the others told their versions of the events of the day. She considered how the group fought and defeated the wolves. Silvas was nearly killed but that, as Olek suggested, could have been mostly due to inexperience. If the group is going to do more fighting together in the future, and she felt that is was extremely likely, then they had better train together when possible to learn how to best utilize each others strengths.

"What the others have said is basically what happened. we went to the farm to investigate the missing sheep. We were told be the farmer that a boy and 2 dogs went after the beast that took the sheep. Silvas was able to track the beasts to a cave. Along the way we found the boy. One of his dogs had been killed and the other severely wounded. We all did our part to defeat the beasts. After, we discovered wolf puppies inside the cave. The boy, Rollen, took them to raise. Silvas was nearly killed in the fight and with the blessing of the gods, we were able to revive him."

Miranda then drank a mouthful of ale and took a bite of food. Her stomach and nerves had calmed down since the fight. Is this what life as an adventurer was like? Nerve wracking excitement one moment and everything back to normal the next? Miranda made a mental note to send a letter to her mentor about the day's events.

Axel

First Post
Olek

The dwarf could barely contain his excitement that someone, even just one, of his new companions was going to join him in the traditional dwarven debrief. Besides, he was anxious to claim his title promised by the snarky elf as Saviour of the Sheep.

"Right, then, we all sorted Masters? No goats gone missing to the north?" Rising from his chair, Olek began walking quickly towards the door. "I'm going to get this armour off. Not comfortable for drinking in. See you all in the room we had breakfast in ten minutes!

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Ferro's eyes widen at the mention of items, as he asks,
You say you found some things on the body of the orc? May I take a look at them?

As you show him the items, he mulls over them one by one, nodding yet keeping quiet to himself. He then looks over to the group before pointing to each item laid out on the table.

Seems that this orc was well prepared. You might find these things useful, and it's up to you on how to divy them up. A darkwood shield, magical sleep arrows along with a masterwork longbow. Then you have a pair of masterwork cold iron longsword and silver dagger. Olek would more than likely be more interested in the mug, for it should be recognized easily by him. An Everfull Mug. The potions are a pair of Cure Moderate Wounds, Invisibility, and Spider Climb. Then the scroll is that of a Lesser Restoration spell, which would come in handy I would assume.

The last thing, the journal, I will need more time with. It would seem he was keeping notes, and I will decipher their meaning. He seemed to be writing in vague words, perhaps a code. You have deserved your rest, for tomorrow will be another day for most, but your first day for training. Your rooms are ready, and i will show you to them now.

Ferro then waits for everyone to finish eating or divying up the items before heading outside. He takes the stairs on the east side of the Academy, calling out,
This side of the Academy rooms are for the women. You will be two to a room, and yours is the second door, Miranda and Leilani. Each of you will be given two keys. One is for the door, the second is for a personal locked cabinet to hold whatever you would like. These are immobile cabinets, and magical. They are not able to be broken into without those keys, so your items will be safe.

Now to the other rooms, the ones for the men.

He leads you across to the other side of the second story and to the rooms for the men.
Again, two to a room. Olek and Lune will be sharing the first room. Daelyn and Ararion will have the third room. Silvas will be sharing the room with another student, a third year student. Here are your keys. Be prepared, for we start on hour before sun up. Be downstairs with the others. And don't be late...

He looks at each of you, wondering if there are any questions. If there are none, he bows, turns, and takes his leave. You look at the rooms, each one identical to the other in having a pair of cots, a foot chest at the base of each cot, and a locked cabinet on opposite sides of the room. Bedding is laid out and freshly washed. A small table and chair are all that decorate the rooms.

The evening is just settling down as the church bells ring out to call out to the city of the hour. Seven tolls tell that it is nearing dusk, as the atmosphere changes somewhat. You can hear the bustling of the city outside, as you wonder what to do until tomorrow. Olek seems intent on finding a place to sit back and drink to rejoice in his new title. Silvas speaks up,
I wouldn't mind walking about, seeing what else there is in this city. I have much to think upon after today's ordeal...

He takes his leave, turning back to you all before he descends the stairs,
Thank you for today. I would not be here if it weren't for you all.

OOC: You now have the night off before starting training tomorrow. You can drink at the tavern, explore, etc. When you are ready to start the next day, post up you waking up the next morning preparing for your first training day. You also have items to hand out

jackslate45

First Post
"He was in fact prepared. I am glad to know what these are however. "

Finally deciding it was time to eat, Lune sits down to enjoy the table talk of the dinner, and relish in the success of the mission. Afterwards, while waiting for the others to finish, he says to the rest of the group "Does anyone wish to have first pick of the loot? I feel as the rest of you might have an eye on something that was gathered here."

Once shown the rooms, Lune turns toward Olek and says "It seems that we are roommates as well! Now, what is this tradition you spoke so highly of? I might partake for a little while."

When Silvas turns to leave Lune says "Silvas, I am glad you are alright. Get some rest. It does the body good."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Ararion lets the others talk and tell the tale of the victory. He wasn't very impressed with how they had all handled themselves and believed it was a stroke of luck they didn't all become beast-food. He also accepts the room assignment quietly, much happier to be lodging with the quiet human than the crass dwarf.

When Lune asks about dividing the items, Ararion replies, "I'd only be interested in that bow. The rest..." He shrugs noncommittally. "But if either of the ladies would prefer to take the bow, I will defer."

Axel

First Post
Olek

Olek was happy that he didn't have to share with either of the Elves. One didn't talk at all, and the other had not had anying worth saying so far. Lune, on the other hand, he was pleased with. Sharing with the ladies may have been awkward, and the tall wizard is a strange fellow. Who knows what sort of odd animals a wizard keeps in his room?!

The room itself was satisfactory. It was, after all, only a place to sleep. Olek carefully stowed his greataxe and armour in the cupboard, and went down to eat in his only set of clothes with his warhammer tucked into the belt. He would not be parted from the hammer for love or money.

After the meal has finished, Olek explains the traditional Dwarven victory celebration to those that are interested. "First, we must order many many mugs of mushroom ale. Or use this magical mug - does anyone know what it does, or how it works? I will order a keg of ale, just in case. Please excuse me for a minute," he began, before rising from the table to speak with the barman.

"Do you have a keg of mushroom ale sir?"

"Not a chance, young Dwarf. You are the first to ask after it in 12 years. I can offer you an alternative drink that I am told is similar in taste. Gruble's Bullroarer - made fairly locally, though not with fermented cave mushrooms. Have you heard of it?"

"Can't say that I have... Let me taste it first, if you will."

Olek, approving of the substitute, pays to have a keg brought over to the table along with a dozen mugs. Unapologetically interrupting whatever conversation had started in his absence, he began again, "Secondly, we all take a full mug," before pausing to start filling and passing around mugs from the just arrived keg.

"Thirdly, and most importantly, we take it in turns to tell everyone in the room of our accomplishments - and in doing so tell the story of our adventures today. Somebody must take poor Silvas' part as I do not think he is ready to relive the day just yet. Watch and listen, I will begin. Daelyn, be ready to take the first part of Silvas as you were closest to him then."

Climbing on top of a bar stool with a mug of Gruble's Bullroarer, Olek raised his voice over the general hubbub of the room.

"Gather round, and listen to a tale of slain animals, terrified farmers and great gnashing teeth. I am Olek Hammerblow, recently arrived from the great stronghold of Khordaldrum." Once he had everyone's attention, or at least most people's, he continued.

"Earlier, my companions are I set out on a journey to the southern lands where tale had come of a great beast terrorising locals and smashing wooden fences in the dead of night. We reached the home of a noble and humble farmer before noon and found a gaping hole smashed clean through a solid wooden fence. Some of the flock was missing, taken by a beast in the middle of the night. Worse, the eldest son had gone after the beast with his best dogs and no word had come from them. Had woe and evil come to these gentle lands?!"

Olek reached the end of his introduction, and downed the entire mug of ale without pausing for breath. Stepping down, he gestured for Daelyn to take the stand, hissing "Silvas should now tell how he tracked the beast and found the son, but he is not here. Will you do it in his stead?"

ahayford

First Post
Daelyn, somewhat nervous for being put on the spot, but not wanting to spoil the story, takes one of the offered mugs of dark grog. The potent smell of the brew curls his nose hairs as the mug passes under Daelyn's nose. He crinkles his nose and raises the mug.

Silvas the elf found the tracks of the creatures and led us into the forest. We followed the tracks for hours, always wary of an ambush....Afraid that our quarry was in fact hunting us rather then us hunting him. We found the farmer's son, relatively unharmed but almost a victim of the same beasts that attacked the sheep. The boys dogs were not so lucky. One was mortally wounded, and the other losing blood. It was then that we knew the name of creature we hunted. Dire wolves.

Daelyn pauses for dramatic effect before continuing

We continued on, Silvas finally tracking the creatures to their lair. Perhaps it was our noise that tipped the creatures off, or the smell of our trail rations.....But regardless, the creatures were waiting for us.....a mated pair.....prepared to die to protect their home and likely, the pups inside.

Daelyn attempts to down the ale but only manages to swallow twice before sputtering and nearly dumping the rest on the floor. Embarrassed, Daelyn takes his seat allowing another to continue the tale.

jackslate45

First Post
Lune pats Daelyn on the back, and realizes it is his turn.

Standing up he says "Our quarry met us at the entrance to their cave. At first, a tense moment could be felt in the air. They stared down at us, growling but not coming forward. It was us who struck first, a well aimed crossbow shot and spell blast to the larger of the two. They charged us both, going for Daelyn" Lune points to the wizard, still coughing slightly " and our tracker Silvas. The smaller of the two brought Silvas down. The wolf then stared up hungrily at me, hoping I would be it's next meal. I stood over the bleeding Silvas, and raised my shield up level to the wolf's head, ready to defend to the last man. It was then, as my companions together took down the other wolf, the unthinkable happens!"

Grabbing the mug of beer, he starts to drain it. While not as expertly as Olek, he was still able to down most of it without coughing.

OOC: So, who else was drinking with us?

Remove ads