Stonefist Academy - The Beginning

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Rollen looks over the young, nodding slowly.
Father always said he could raise anything. Maybe they can be raised as guards for the farm.
He moves towards the pups, hand extended to show no harmful intentions. They sniff his hand and begin licking it when he is close enough. Soon enough, he is sitting among the young and petting them.

As he shifts his weight, you hear a clank, as Olek then spies among the rubble a figure. It is medium height, mainly bones with a little bit of meat left, but not much.

Axel

First Post
Olek

"And how will you get them to your farm, young man? They do not seem able to leave their lair yet. Think it through before committing yourself this time." Olek commented.

Perhaps he is still a boy after all...though he seems the same age as Lune... Wait, what is that shape?!

"Look, there! These creatures have taken and eaten a humanoid! Rollen, move aside so I can see what race of humanoid it was!" Olek exclaimed, wadding forward towards the remains.

ahayford

First Post
They're pups Olek...I'm sure you remember what it was to be a child once....Or do dwarves just hatch taciturn and surly, with beards down to their waists. With proper guidance, I'm sure they could be trained.

Daeyln turns his attention to the corpse.

What...What is that?

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
"They're pups. Weak, small, probably hungry. We can carry them back to the farm. Though if your father can domesticate them, it would be a small miracle."

Ararion lets the others examine the bones. He's not entirely surprised there are some... After all, big predators will go for big prey.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Leilani shudders uncontrollably. "I... I've never seen anyone... hurt so badly before."

Her shakes seem to subside when she sees the wolf cubs. "Awwww! Puppies! We should take them back to the Academy!"

jackslate45

First Post
Lune was over Silvas's still body. He could tell that the elf was alive, but only just. However, the elf had yet to awaken.

At the sound of the discovery of the cubs, Lune looks up, and takes note of the situation. Relief spread over him when he heard that the cubs would be spared for now, and he redoubled his efforts to get Silvas' eyes open.

Axel

First Post
Olek

Olek stands up from his examination of the corpse with indignation. "Dwarven children do not have beards, master wizard!" he bellows. "However, our children are seen and not heard! They do not sit in their domains bellowing for food! And they are CERTAINLY not born in litters!!"

Believing the argument won beyond refute, he turned his attention back to the clinking corpse. In particular, he was trying to discover if it was human, dwarven, goblin, troll, or some other vaguely familiar humanoid type...or at least some indicaiton of who it might have been.

OOC: Happy to roll any particular skill check considered worthwhile. Presuming it's search (rolled in a few seconds). If its spot, modify the result by +2.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Olek's senses ring out, as he examines the corpse. A large head, pronounced jawline, slopped forehead. Then he moves the head to face him a little more and sees the tusks before realizing exactly what this was. It was an orc, and from the remains, it was a recent kill, perhaps a few days old at most. Among the refuse, he spots more items, as his darkvision allows him to see more than most.

Scavenging through the area, it doesn't take long before Olek points out things to check out and you are looking at a pile of findings that were either scavenged from the beasts, left behind long ago in this cave, or simply found on the body of this lone orc.

You find a wooden shield, finely crafted and lighter than you would expect for its size. There are a trio of arrows, white with white fletching found as well, alongside a finely crafted bow that is only missing it's cord. A longsword made of cold iron lays unscathed by the body of the orc along with a silver dagger, both of masterwork quality. You also dump out the contents of the pack that survived the mauling of the beast and find an odd assortment of items.

A mug, looking to be of dwarven make tumbles out, landing near Olek's foot. A leather journal opens up, showing notes in what you assume to be orcish. Another small belt falls out with fastened vials, four of of them still filled while the other three are emptied already. Two of them are identical, while the other two are not. Lastly, a rolled parchment falls out, intact with a single scroll inside.

Rollen speaks up
They are strong enough to walk, but I think it's best to carry them. Also, it would seem that the two outside were their parents, feeding them as their nature beckoned them to. I know it's asking much, but I would like to bury them and my own dog before taking these pups out.

Rollen then moves outside the cave, leaving the pups inside as he goes about making a makshift grave for the three fallen bodies. Those that help him find him quiet during the process, often finding him trying to not look at the fallen body of his own loyal dog. Eventually the task is completed, and the group is set to return to the farm. A mix of accomplishment and sorrow seems to overwhelm the group, as you had completed the task as a group, but not without loss.

The words of Olek ring out in your mind, as his knowledge in battle showed, yet his comment of knowing that there was much to learn together shows that there is much to learn...

OOC: Looks like you all survived. I can fast forward to you returning to the Academy, at which point you will start your training if that's ok with everyone. Apologies for the tough encounter, but I needed to see how you fared at a higher group count than normal. I think it went as I expected. Tough, but not overwhelming. Items can either be attempted to be identified now, or at the Academy. DC 15+Caster Level of item to identify the items.

Also, prepare to level up to level 2 as your reward for the intro. Level up will take place at the Academy when you return. HP rolls will be as follows:

D4 = 3 hp each level
D6 = 4 and 5 hp each level, alternating each level
D8 = 6 hp each level
D10 = 7 and 8 hp each level, alternating each level
D12 = 9 hp each level

Or you can roll at your own risk!

jackslate45

First Post
After finishing the burial of the dogs, Lune quietly says a prayer of thanks, for in his hour of need he was given hope. He pats Rollen's shoulder once, saying "You will raise them right. You can see it from the respect your dog gave to us and to you."

Looking around, and helping the others gather the supplies, Lune says "We have a hard journey ahead of us. I have learned much already from today's encounter. Let us return to the Acadamy, and we can figure out what those bottles do as well."

Remove ads