Stonefist Academy - The Beginning

Graybeard

Explorer
Miranda

Miranda silently helped bury the bodies. Afterword, she joined her classmates in the cave. She was surprised to see so many items laying around. Then again, she supposed the beasts had no need of them.

"I agree, we should return Rollen to the farm and then return to the academy if there is still enough light to do so. We all have much to learn still and yet, we have shown we can be trusted to complete an assignment."

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Leilani sighs with relief as Silvas regains consciousness. "Thank Corellon you're alright, Silvas!"

Joining the others in the cave, Leilani marvels at the pile of items that lay before them.

"My, but this does raise a few questions. Perhaps the fallen Orc outside was living in the cave, using the wolves in some way to rob passers-by, only to be turned upon due to his wanton cruelty and mistreatment of the beasts.... the beasts then took the cave for their own in order to protect the young..."

A brief pause to gauge the group's attention, then, "Believe it or no, I've read a book or two. And this story seems familiar to me."

Familiar, indeed. Her father read to her every night when she was younger, and one of her favorite stories was about intelligent kittens trying to free an abused dog from its cruel Orcish master. She smiled briefly, and her eyes looked soft and wistful.

OOC: I stole the concept from a book entitled The Underneath. Great story, told almost entirely in prose and very dark in some places.

ahayford

First Post
I think Miranda has the right of it. Best we get back to the Academy where we can further investigate the orc's possessions. Maybe figure out what it was doing this close to the Academy.

Axel

First Post
Olek

After listening to Leilani's theory, Olek commented gruffly, "An orc is never up to anything good. I have no sympathy for this creature, and nought but contempt if it was using these animals to waylay travellers. Death was too good for it. Still, it was a wealthy animal. These weapons are well forged, and don't seem to be made of normal steel."

Later, after the burial, the dwarf voiced his opinion on the group's next move. "Well, I believe we have succeeded on our first task set us. I, for one, would be pleased to return to the Academy in triumph as soon as possible for I want to see what they teach. Silvas, can you guide us out a quicker way than we came in? Otherwise I fear we will be spending the night out here."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Ararion helps gather things and with the burial, though his slight build doesn't offer too much in the way of assistance with such a task. He doesn't seem particularly interested in the theories... "We might as well return to the Academy. There's little else for us to do out here, as our task is accomplished."

[sblock=OOC]
I'll definitely be taking the 75% HP. But it will probably be a few days before I get the level-up info done...
[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The tasks are quickly taken care of, as the contents that you can salvage from the cave are quickly gathered and packed away. Rollen had been checking on the pups, looking at their eyes, their hair, teeth, claws and anything else he could think of before he spoke again.

They are dire wolf pups. They will grow large, and will be tough to train, but I have faith.

Not much else is said as you trek back to the farm to watch Rollen on his way back home. Allowing him to journey the rest of the way when you come in sight of the farm, you all break off north back to Springside. Silvas is quiet during the journey, perhaps due to the near death experience.

As you come to Springside, the southern gate guards recognize you and allow you entrance without any questioning. Winding your way north, you arrive at the Academy, finding your way to the doors to Maximo's office. Before you knock, the door opens, as Ferro beckons you inside.

Ferro then motions you to the inside of the office, while Maximo looks up from more paperwork at his desk.

There is much to learn, and much to teach. It would appear that you ran into some trouble, but nothing that you could not handle. Your training will start tomorrow, and you have earned your acceptance for as long as you would like to stay. Now, tell us of what happened.

Maximo leans back into his chair as a lady enters the office. She is carrying a large platter which she places on a table near the rear of the office that holds enough chairs for you all. Fresh meat seasoned with steamed vegetables, steaming bread fresh from the oven and tankards filled with honey mead await you all.

As you begin to speak, Maximo takes it upon himself to write down notes on a parchment, as he listens to your tale...

OOC: Giving you the chance to tell your own version of what transpired. This will also give you the chance to level up to level 2 and begin the training. Once the adventure is told, we will go straight into the Academy life and training.

Sorry for the delay in posting, been working for 1 month straight, no days off.

Axel

First Post
Olek

Never one to be shy and listen, even when he should shut up and listen, Olek reached for a tankard of mead and loaf of bread before taking a seat. Breaking the bread in haf and stuffing a big piece in his mouth, he started in his own, abridged and efficient, way.

"We went south, like you said. Found the farmer fellow had a fence smashed in and a few missing sheep. More importantly, one of his sons had gone after the missing sheep into a dirty big forest." Pausing to take a swig of mead, he rushed to continue before anyone took his pause as the end of his story.

"The quiet elf over there, Silvas, isn't too bad as a tracker. He led us into the forest of all places, following some blood trail that only he could see. Can't tell you I had my doubts about that... We found the boy, and one of his dogs, in a clearing before too long. He was alive, which was a relief. But determined to keep going, which had me worried some more." Shoving the remaining half of bread into his mouth, and getting crumbs all through his beard in the process, Olek pointed a finger at Ferro.

"What's the big idea anyway? Sending out a bunch of greenhorns... Someone could've been killed! In fact, someone nearly was! Silvas is only here with you by the grace of the gods themselves. Y'see, we caught up the beasts at their cave in the end. Silvas kept us on the right track it would seem. 'cept I think he was too busy looking at the ground to look up!! These two HUGE wolves...dire wolves I think someone called them. They came racing out of a cave in a mountainside - and thank Moradin there were mountains around. Had I been stuck in a forest all day without sight of proper stone I don't know if I would've had the strength to fight them off" Pausing for another drink, Olek permitted himself a smile at the memories coming back to him.

"These wolves came out y'see. And we shot at them, while Silvas wasn't paying attention. He broke formation and ran out in front - greenhorn mistake! The wolves ate him for a snack, and came after us. Nearly got Daelyn, but Moradin was with me enough to intervene and kill the creature. The last one put up a good fight. Lune and I took him down together. Glorious combat that one was!"

Turning to face Lune, Olek smiled. "I will tell you a story of Moradin and Heironeus combining in ancient days later tonight. Have you heard of the Dwarven hero Merlot, and the liberation of Stromloch? Come to think of it, if we can find some Mushroom Ale I will teach you all how to properly celebrate a victory."

OOC: Don't sweat on timing FtF. I'm screwed for time for ever now...
Level-up proposed is posted in the OOC thread. Very exciting. :)

Last edited:

ahayford

First Post
Daelyn's stomache lurches at the concept of mushroom ale. I think I'll stick with tea for the evening. I have a lot I want to study this evening before I retire. The wolves managed to bring down an Orc, and I'd be interested to see if we can figure out why one was ranging this close to the Academy. Are orc sightings common around here?

OOC: Sorry I posted to this thread yesterday but it seems to have eaten my post

jackslate45

First Post
Lune was surpised at Olek's version of the events. It seems he enjoys praising himself. Smiling Lune says "It was all of us together who took down the wolves. The young man had two dogs with him. One of which survived to deal a heavy blow against one wolf at great sacrifice to itself. Beacuse of it's sacrifice we defeat the wolves. We were very lucky to only have Silvas hurt. I know when it attacked me, it bit so hard it felt like my sheild almost give way.

However, while greenhorns we were Olek, we showed great ability to work together and over come this obstacle. I am sure that, more than anything, was the important reason we were sent. And as for the religious discussion, I would enjoy that very much. "

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Leilani smiles wanly before speaking. "I'm happy everything turned out okay, but this is the first time I've ever seen a person nearly mauled to death. It was... it was horrifying. I hope those wolf puppies don't grow up to be mean... and poor Rollen..."

"I need to write all this down... please excuse me."

Remove ads