• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stonefist Academy - The Beginning

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The gnome heads down the hallway with a steady pace; never looking back once. You keep up with his pace, as he passes a doorway to the left. It is a solid wooden doorway, dark in color. There is no other markings to tell what lies behind it as you each pass it.

The corridor takes a sharp left turn about forty feet down, as you spy another long hallway. It passes a pair of doors on the right, each resembling the first one you passed earlier. You walk another forty feet or so before turning to the left yet again. This hallway bears no doors on either side, as your peer down the long corridor.

The gnome continues on, still not looking back.

At the end of this forty foot hallway, you take another left. You spy two doors on the left hand side of the hallway, identical to the ones before, yet on the opposite side.

[sblock=Olek]Your dwarven stonecunning tells you that you should have ended up right where you started, if the distances were right.[/sblock]

jackslate45

First Post
Lune was curious as to where they were going. The headmasters? Quarters? A testing room? His excitement showed on his face as they continued down the hall.

ahayford

First Post
Daelyn had been in larger academies before, the place seemed somewhat provincial in fact. Daelyn hoped he hadn't made a mistake in coming here as he took in his surroundings.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Leilani's smile slowly melted away as the troupe marched along seemingly endless and identical hallways. She tried to judge everyone else's mood by studying their faces. She thought there surely must be someone growing as impatient as she.

Axel

First Post
Olek

Olek was conflicted. He desired to make a good first impression on this representative of the Academy by following instructions. This was warring with his race's tendency to make as productive use of time as possible, aided and abetted by a deep seated need to show the smarmy elf a thing or two.

As they turned left for the third time he reached a decision. "Good sir, I must speak. Are you wasting my time by leading me along four sides of a square? For by Moradin's beard I swear we are back where we started!"

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
The gnome stops as soon as the first word is uttered from Olek's mouth. He turns, shakes his head, and says,
Fours sides to a square? Wasting your time? You have caused us all to stop, thereby wasting time from each of us. If we were back at the beginning, then the door would be right behind you. But it is not.

The gnome smiles, adding,
I asked two things of each of you. The first was not to talk. The second was to follow me. While you all did superbly with the second, the first was too hard to follow.

He waves his hand behind him, with a flourish. The hallway disappears and turns back into the main entrance, with the hallway ending ahead to go left and right. Behind you, the light from the outside pours back in, as you indeed find yourself back at the beginning to the entrance of the Academy.

These are your first two lessons. First, follow your teachers' orders. Second, do not have blind faith in those that you do not know or trust. Learn when to question what is asked of you. Know that if one of you fails in a task, you all fail. Many students do not make it to their graduation. This is a harsh and tough decision. One that some do not take lightly.

From now on, should a master ask you to do something, then follow their orders to the letter. This is the only time that you will be allowed not to do so. They are bound to protect you as well as teach you. They will not lead you astray. Beyond these walls, you may question what others ask of you. Stray from their orders, and you will be punished. Continue to do so, and you will be expelled.

Some students do not make it to their graduation because they instead make it to their grave. Know that you will be in real danger whenever you leave these walls. What we offer here is an understanding of your prowess with weaponry, your thirst for magical knowledge, your sense of understanding in the ways of music, art, diplomacy, nature, mechanics, and most anything else you can think of. We teach that with this knowledge comes the responsibility to use it wisely. If you deviate from that tenant, then you are banished and marked as such. We will not tolerate selfish acts, lying, stealing, cheating or any other evil acts.

The gnome stands tall, the symbol not glowing on his forehead. It glows with a reddish hue, as he bows.
My name is Ferro. If you agree to the terms that I put forth to you, then follow me and become the Academy's new students. If not, then you can leave now. The graduation of this years students has completed and it would seem that your timing is opportune. Their roster slots are now yours, if you will have them. Do you agree?

Axel

First Post
Olek

As soon as the gnome spoke to the group Olek knew he had let pride get the better of him. Bowing to Ferro, he offered an apology. "Master Ferro, I apologise for speaking out of turn. I will not do so again while I remain within these walls, for I am most honoured you still extend an invitation. I most gratefully accept your offer and its terms."

Dragonwriter

First Post
Ararion blinks a few times, then frowns. "So, wait... You are telling us to question orders and not trust people we don't know, then say to act without thought or question when an instructor tells us to do something. Would you please clarify just what you meant with those frightfully roundabout statements?" Ararion's tone and expression hint at a touch of confusion but also curiosity.

ahayford

First Post
Daelyn thinks to himself for a moment. If there was any other way to find the knowledge he sought, he doubted he'd agree to the gnomes somewhat circular rules. For now, it was the best option.

I agree to your terms gnome. Now, is there some words that must be said? Some ceremony or what have you. If you please I'd like to get that over with so that I can begin my studies.

Last edited:

Remove ads