• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft -- 1 to 3 Players [Closed, Decisions Made]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The Thaliost Six was not prepared for what had found them in the remote wildnerness of the Morr Mountains. A plague of undead that caused all who fell to them to rise again and continue to hunger. While they had stopped that menace, its ultimate source was still in question. Was this related to the strange omen of witches that had followed them here? Or to the ancient necromantic tome they were in search of?

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is looking for one or two new PCs. Please see the below links and the description below for more info.

IC | OOC | RG

Who
One to three more PCs to join the extant group, though 2 is probably the upper limit. Character level 6th, XP to be decided. A channeler of divine power or healing preferred for at least one role (House Jorasco dragonmarked healer, Itinerant of the Sovereign Host, etc.). Other than that, most "major" roles have been filled so no pressure for the other slots unless the current PCs have any input.

What
An Eberron mystery and horror themed campaign based upon the recently released Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. Important: If you have played the original I6 (Castle Ravenloft) let me know as there are strong similarities between the two!

When
I post at minimum once ever other day, with one post per day a goal for me. This is to keep the game flowing and interest/momentum high. Players should endeavor to be able to follow a similar once-per or every-other day routine with the expectation that I will NPC inactive players (especially in combat).

Where
Here, of course! Here being ENWorld.

Why
One of the heroes have fallen! New heroes must now rise to the challenge!

How
Recruitment is more constrained now that the group has entered distant Barovia. Concepts will be limited to either NPCs already present, or concepts that can be tied to the Expedition caravan that started the journey. Thus, make sure you have read through the IC thread. The rules for both are similar. In all case, give me a feeling for how you will make the character yours. Please provide a link to any games you have played in or run here on ENWorld, if any.

Extant NPCs
Below are a list of extant NPCs that PCs can take over. General sketch of abilities, personalities, and other known things about the characters are given. Players are mostly free to develop the character to their desire given the constraints. If requesting to play the NPC, try to flesh out how you would make it your own: Quirks, personality, etc.

- Mateush Ochem (Archivist) Historian of the Twelve, and nominal head of the Barovian expedition. A Karrn entering his middle age, Mateush is meticulous about his cleanliness and hygiene.

- Ferrik Dalboran d'Sivis (Bard?) A Sivis heir of some minor standing, apparently being 'punished' by his family be being part of the expedition. Has a knack for woodcutting, and tends to his passions more than socializing with the others. Makes sure the package containing the sending stone never leaves his sight.

- Adalstan d'Cannith (Artificer) A well humored Aundarian with close cropped curls and a mischevious smile. Not well liked by the Karnn Cannith faction being tacitly associated with Cannith North due to his heritage, and was 'honored' with his place on the expedition as a consequence. Provide artificing services as needed.

- Sir Urik (Cleric 1/Knight 5/Knight of the Raven) Boisterous warrior against the ills of Barovia. Last of the Knights of the Raven, an ancient Barovian order. Previously accompanied by the raven Hurrn, killed in the assault on the Barovian Church.

New PCs
New PCs must be minor members of the Expedition caravan. Guards, researcher, or other staff who were less associated with providing the protection of the caravan but have somehow been thrust into a new role. If suggesting a new PC, please provide a concept description of your character. This description is not a character sheet! Provide a background, primary role, quirks, and distinguishing abilities you foresee (and justification for them/how they play to your concept). It is especially important to specify the tie in with the expedition. All of these together will help paint a picture of your overall concept and how it would be executed. Keep in mind the Eberron-feel of your concepts, though players with no knowledge of Eberron can be brought up to speed as necessary.

Character Creation
To simplify the creation of concepts, the following will be allowed during final character creation: Core, the XPH, the Complete Series (including Psionics and Mage), the PHBII, the DMGII, all Eberron books, and Heroes of Horror. However, do not dwell too much on mechanics at this stage. Try not to go with too esoteric of a concept unless you can really justify it. Keep in mind that this game will not involve the Dreaming Dark, making Kalashtar and their ilk a hard sell.

Decision Process
Players will be picked based upon the cohesion of the concepts to form a group, and the "fun-to-play-with" factor of the ideas. I will tend to favor extant NPCs though new PCs with a good justification will be considered. You may wish to check the original recruitment thread to answer any questions you may have.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
All righty,

I'd realy like to give a go at Sir Urik, stonegod. I've been reading the IC thread, focusing especially on the parts since the Raven Warrior's intro. I think I could do him justice in holding to the style you've established....zealous, strong, brave, a little crazy. I think I might like to have him continue to talk to Hurrn, despite the raven's death.

Anyway, consider this a placemarker and an official expression of interest. What would you like from me?

edit: stone, does Urik already have stats generated, or will you need me to stat him up? I'm not sure where Knight of the Raven comes from...a new PrC, perhaps?

Kafkonia

First Post
I would love to play in this, as I've been itching to play Eberron since I got the book a few months back. That being said, I am currently playing in Endur's iteration of the game, and while that's slowed down quite a bit, I fully understand if you'd rather give a spot to someone who isn't already playing it elsewhere.

That being said, keep me in mind if you need someone. Heck, I'd be happy to take over Janis if James Heard wants to try his hand with someone else.

s@squ@tch

First Post
I am interested as well. I posted a cleric last time and will keep with the cleric again. I've been reading the IC for quite some time, and think a pure divine caster would be a great fit.

I tinkered with the background a bit since last time, to be more in line with the lightbringer side of things - (so as to be a possible friend of Ashlyn or Theldrick's - as I didn't see any pure clerics associated with the caravan)

Here is the character sheet with info:
Leigh N'al Mornet

Last edited:

stonegod

Malvoisin said:
edit: stone, does Urik already have stats generated, or will you need me to stat him up? I'm not sure where Knight of the Raven comes from...a new PrC, perhaps?
Though I have a version of him, you're free to customize w/in certain parameters (pretty close to the classes outlined previously). The Knight of the Raven PrC is a Ravenloft special that I can mail out once final selections are made.

As for Hurrn... as will be revealed, he's a bit more special than a normal animal.

stonegod

Kafkonia Thanks for the interest. Lets see out the pool develops for now.

s@squ@tch I'll take a look at Leigh again. One note: You'll have to drop the "d'" prefix to your last name as thats general reserved for scions of a dragonmarked house.

All I will be on travel until Sunday, so while I will be checking in, it will not be super frequent at times. But feel free to post 'cuz I will check!

s@squ@tch

First Post
@stonegod - will do about the d' part.

Also, if you have any other suggestions on how to integrate a cleric into the fold, I am all ears -- the lightbringers angle seemed the most logical due to the lack of extant pc's in the caravan.

pathfinderq1

First Post
I'd actually like to throw my (potential) hat into the recruiting ring as well. I'm quite fond of the Eberron setting and I'm intrigued by the idea of mixing it with Ravenloft. From a quick glance, I'd probably prefer to go with a new PC, a rather minor and so far all-but-unnoticed caravan member. My primary concept is a human psion- with a little tinkering of power selection she could help out with a variety of caster roles (especially if Janis gets swapped out, or if Maraat disappears for good). Personality-wise, she would be quiet and curious- in addition to a varied power selection, she would likely have the Jack of All Trades feat. While the caravan was in transit, she was always busy- but now she has gotten wind of a bigger, more intriguing mystery. I am open to other concepts as well, depending on how the recruiting process unfolds- one potential option would be to replace psion with cleric (of the Sovereign Host), keeping the curiousity and scholarship.

Last edited:

stonegod

All In generally, what I am looking for in a submission (regardless if new or old PCs, and I will prefer old one's as mentioned) are the following:
- Basic personality, including quirks
- For Old PCs, how you will make them your "own": I.e., in additions to personality, something I didn't flush out above, etc.
- What role your character will feel
- A sketch of the mechanics, including any particular signature feats/spells/abilities.

I haven't had time to look over the potentials too much (airport right now), but that should give y'all an idea.

Remove ads