stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
Janis clears her throat.

"Ahem. It appears that our friends this morning have given me a gift after all."

She strokes the gnarled fur of Edi soothingly.

"Be calm, Edi."

Stormwind

First Post
As Janis fights against the change under the full moon, Ashlyn and her mount move as one, placing Ashlyn between the Stormhand and the rest of the party.

That Janis is able to control the curse speaks well for her and the look in Ashlyn's eyes as the danger passes is a mix of relief and grudging respect.

Once it is clear that Janis remains in control, Ashlyn turns her head towards the others and speaks, "Jarrith, Tessa, ... which of you has the scroll that we obtained from the caravan artificer back in the village. I think now would be the opportune time to try to remove the curse, especially since Janis has already shown that she has the will to resist it."

James Heard

Explorer
Janis snorts crossly.

"I told you I could and would. It's no worse than the blinding fever I caught when I was ten, or any of a myriad of riding accidents."

The aristocratic witch frowned.

"Though the consequences are a bit more troubling, I admit."

Janis rubs a sore spot on her face.

"Gods and Testings...Shifter? Is that anything like what it feels to be one of your people?"

Janis pulls her hand away and stares at it, clenching and releasing her long fingers as if restoring the blood flow.

"It's nothing much like my normal means of assuming a form, I can promise you."

Janis brings her hand to her face and begins searching curiously.

"Do I have all the hair off my lip, or am I going to require some plucking before bed?"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ashlyn said:
"Jarrith, Tessa, ... which of you has the scroll that we obtained from the caravan artificer back in the village. I think now would be the opportune time to try to remove the curse, especially since Janis has already shown that she has the will to resist it."
Jarrith frowns a second and looks behind him to the saddlebag on the horse. "Um... I think Tessa has it. She was going to keep the scroll as I had a a similar divine blessing prepared. Although that blessing has since been changed over to the healing of you, My Lady."

His mind thinks back to Janis' beginnings of change... when he suddenly remembers the man in the Vine's basement. He glances to his Brother and raises his eyebrows. "I hope those chains held him well. Otherwise I will feel saddened that I didn't attempt to remove his curse when I had the chance."

As they continue their way back to town, his eyes are drawn to the castle in the mountains. "Get a good look everyone... there's our destination tomorrow after we get some sleep. We have a couple of items to awaken and some forgiveness and pennance to ask and give for a few of us."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Tessa removes the scroll, and chants the words. At its completion, she touches Janis on the arm---and recoils back in pain! The priestess knows the Curse lingers on, vigorously fighting the warding magic. Another try will have to be attempted.

[Janis rolled a 1 on the save, and an AP couldn't save it. remove curse can be retried at a later time]

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn sits quietly on her mount as they make their way back to town, contemplating the difficulties that still await ... the curse that still afflicts Janis, ... the undead soldiers accompanying the emerald agent, ... the castle, and the lord of these lands, whatever he actually is.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot shivered slightly underneath his armor as he saw the lycanthropic curse start to affect Janis.

He shook his head -- we take one step forward and two steps back.

"May the Flame keep your resolve strong until we can find a cure for you." He says to the witch.

He looks in turn at Khensu and Jarrith, a look of exasperation on his face.

"All we find is death. Behind every corner, below every mat. Death pervades this forgotten land. We strive to bring light back to these people, but they are not accustomed to it, and shun it as some aberration..." His voice trails off as he shakes his head while looking down at the disfigured corpse draped across his mount.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Tessa cringed more than a bit as the spell failed. "I can't do any more until we have rested- I hope you can hold out that long," she said quietly before the group started moving again. As they traveled, she kept glancing at Janis from time to time- her gaze seemed to hold pity.

Whatever darkness had taken hold of the Stormhand troubled the young priestess- and not least of all because she thought it might be the Host's vengeance upon the woman for her treatment of the villagers' bodies. If it was divine intent, could her powers break the curse, or would it imperil them all. Tessa knew she would have to meditate and pray about this tonight...

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: even so, Tessa isn't too happy- part of it is just her discontent, and looking for an explanation of the spell's failure. She would have been happier seeing the bodies cleanly burned- which shouldn't be a surprise.

Remove ads