• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strahd's "The lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" - [Recruiting thread Closed]

Hey there, I got a few character ideas here. Now, if I may be so bold ...

First one's a Fighter/Monk/soon-to-be Reaping Mauler
He was/is part of a brotherhood of monks that focused on their spiritual training more than their physical training. He wanted a change of venue so he left on good terms and got a job in the pits as a wrestler.

The other's an old (aged) human druid/wizard/soon-to-be-geomancer
Trying to aim for the steriotypical witch for this one, old woman in the forest in an older wooden shack where she lives alone with her cat. She has a few visitors from a near by village, but only to seek help in curing a sick person and the like.

devrimk

First Post
Hi Strahd, What about this background?

Atesh Yakhar is a grey eyed, dark haired, middle aged man. His skin is darkened with sunburn. By the time he was a child he was forced to leave his village and became a slave by the evil forces of Iuz. He was a servant of the fire temple in the Temple of Elemental Evil. He studied magic secretly, while he was growing up. A mage, Angus Brigthfire caught him during his studies. He was angry first but later he accepted him as a student.
When allied army forces entered the temple, he fought against them. The moment he ran out of spells, a soldier would nearly kill him. A paladin, Christopher Jurgensson blocked his attacks. He said, "Don't you notice? He is not evil in the heart. Only he lost his path." After some burocratic process, he volunteerly joined Furyondy forces. For atonement and serving the right path.

Rhun said:
I asked up above (I think you missed it), but what timeline are you running this adventure during? As in, what year are you planning to start the adventure?

I know that this particular adventure supposed to be in the past, But I running it in the year of 600 (common year) , I'm adjusting it.
Like it never happened, and this is the first time.

devrimk said:
Hi Strahd, What about this background?

Atesh Yakhar is a grey eyed, dark haired, middle aged man. His skin is darkened with sunburn. By the time he was a child he was forced to leave his village and became a slave by the evil forces of Iuz. He was a servant of the fire temple in the Temple of Elemental Evil. He studied magic secretly, while he was growing up. A mage, Angus Brigthfire caught him during his studies. He was angry first but later he accepted him as a student.
When allied army forces entered the temple, he fought against them. The moment he ran out of spells, a soldier would nearly kill him. A paladin, Christopher Jurgensson blocked his attacks. He said, "Don't you notice? He is not evil in the heart. Only he lost his path." After some burocratic process, he volunteerly joined Furyondy forces. For atonement and serving the right path.

This is good.
you guys give me a quite a headache , a lot of good concepts and just 6 spots to pick. ;)

Last edited:

[sblock=saracor - Garon Shieldsforth]
Please add the rest of the skills.
Add the stats of the war horse in a seperate spoiler box.
Looking good, very handy character ... That's all
[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Strahd_Von_Zarovich said:
I know that this particular adventure supposed to be in the past, But I running it in the year of 600 (common year) , I'm adjusting it.
Like it never happened, and this is the first time.

No problem at all...just makes it far easier to write a background if I know what year it is.

Fenris

Adventurer
Strahd:
[sblock] I had been working on an elf ranger, but I had another thought, but need to run it by you. I was thinking of an army agent. Someone who helps track down spies, assasins, traitors and deserters etc. Basically a fighter with a face.

To make it work though I would like to use the Urban Tracking varaint in Unearthed Arcana.

You can find it as a feat here

I was thinking Fighter 4 maybe Bard 2 or maybe rogue 2 to get the skills I need. Of course the Thug fighter variant might word well if you approve it. So let me know about those two options before I proceed. Thanks.

Fenris.

[/sblock]

Fenris said:
Strahd:
[sblock] I had been working on an elf ranger, but I had another thought, but need to run it by you. I was thinking of an army agent. Someone who helps track down spies, assasins, traitors and deserters etc. Basically a fighter with a face.

To make it work though I would like to use the Urban Tracking varaint in Unearthed Arcana.
I was thinking Fighter 4 maybe Bard 2 or maybe rogue 2 to get the skills I need. Of course the Thug fighter variant might word well if you approve it. So let me know about those two options before I proceed. Thanks.

Fenris.

[/sblock]
I think the Elf Ranger is a better choice to this kind of adventure .

Yair

Community Supporter
OK, here goes. I'm afraid my Greyhawk-fu is not great, nor is his background as slick as some of the others here! He is basically a guy with Heironeous's blood flowing through his veins but disagreeing with the church over the Lawful aspects: he thinks lying and cheating to kill the bad guys is just fine.

[sblock]Maor CR 6
Male Aasimir Favored Soul 5
Neutral Good Medium Outsider (Native)
Senses darkvision 60ft.; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, Celestial, Halfling
---------
AC 22 [+3 Dex +5 armor+1 enhancement +2 shield+1 enhancement], touch 13, flat-footed 19
Hp 41 (5d8+15 HD)
Immune -; Resistance acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 10
Fort +7 [4 base+3 Con], Ref +7 [4 base+3 Dex], Will +4 [4 base]
---------
Init +3; Spd 20 ft.
Melee longsword +8 (1d8+4 19/x2)
Base Atk +3; GRP +6
Atk Options daylight (CL 5) 1/day
---------
Combat Gear (49 lb., -6 ACP; Light 58/Medium 116/Heavy 175)
+1 breastplate 1350 gp (-4 ACP, 30 lb.)
+1 heavy steel shield 1170 gp (-2 ACP, 15 lb.)
+1 longsword 2315 gp (4 lb.)
Spells Known [CL 5]
2nd – align weapon, bull's strength, summon monster II
1st – cure light wounds, detect evil, protection from evil, resurgence, summon monster I
0th – create water, cure minor wounds, detect magic, guidance, light, read magic
---------
Abilities Str 16, Dex 16 [+1 level+2 enhancement], Con 16, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16
SQ -
Feats Augment Summoning, Spell Focus (conjuration), Weapon Focus* (longsword)
Skills Appraise +0, Balance -3 [-6 ACP], Bluff +3, Climb -3 [-6 ACP], Concentration +11 [8], Craft +1, Diplomacy +13 [8+2 synergy], Disguise +3, Escape Artist -3 [-6 ACP], Forgery +1, Gather Information +3, Heal +4 [3], Hide -3 [-6 ACP], Intimidate +3, Jump -3 [-6 ACP], Listen +2 [+2 racial], Move Silently -3 [-6 ACP], Perform +3, Ride +3, Search +1, Sense Motive +6 [5], Spot +2 [+2 racial], Survival +0, Swim -9 [-12 ACP], Use Rope +3
Possessions 14000 gp
Rod of Lesser Extension 3000 gp
Scroll of Dispel Magic 375 gp
Wand if CLW 1500 gp (100 charges)
+1 breastplate 1350 gp
+1 heavy steel shield 1170 gp
+1 longsword 2315 gp
Gloves of Dexterity +2 4000 gp
Backpack 2 gp (2 lb.)
Smokestick 20 gp (0.5 lb.)
268 gp in cash

Maor was raised to be a paladin of Heironeous. Although he was clearly blessed with Heironeous's blood, he and the order did not see things eye to eye. Maor would like to act as a force of good, fighting Iuz and the humanoids, but doesn't like the paladin's too strict honor and reliability. He figures more drastic measures are in order in these dire times. At a young age he fled the establishment and for a time employed himself as a mercenary. After bickering with an employer over a not-so-good-aligned job, however, he found himself unemployed. Just as he was growing desperate, he was approached by the king's messenger. He offered him to join the fight against Iuz's servants and the merceneries, which (as Maor doesn't like morally ambiguous jobs) sounded great. On the other hand although subservient to the paladin-king Belvor IV, the guard isn't as pig-headed as Maor sees the paladins to be. It all sounded like a good deal. Maor signed on.
He'll be interested in uncovering treasure, however; economic independence is just what he needs right now. It will give him the possibility of resigning, which he suspects he'll need to from his past experience. Either the jobs will turn sour, or the paladin king will insist on honor or something like that. He's seen it before. Better have ready cash on your hands. Better have enough of it to allow him to keep going on his own, without needing to serve as another's minion.

Maor is of Oeridian blood, with olive skin and typical features. His hair is a radiant blond, and most surprisingly his eyes are the same color too (a hint of his celestial descent).

Summon Monster I Options: celestial dog, celestial owl, celestial giant fire beetle, celestial porpoise, celestial badger, celestial monkey.
Summon Monster II Options: celestial giant bee, celestial giant bombardier beetle, celestial riding dog, celestial eagle.

Celestial Giant Bee
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast [Extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 80 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Sting +2 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Full Attack: Sting +2 melee (1d4 plus poison)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits, resistance to acid 5,
cold 5, and electricity 5, spell resistance 8
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills: Spot +5, Survival +1*
Feats: —
Environment: Any good-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary, buzz (2-5), or hive (11-20)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: No coins; ¼ goods (honey only); no items
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium); 7-9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Although many times larger, growing to a length of about 5 feet, giant bees behave generally the same as their smaller cousins. Giant bees are usually not aggressive except when defending themselves or their hive.
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 11, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based. A giant bee that successfully stings another creature pulls away, leaving its stinger in the creature. The bee then dies.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (+3) against an evil foe.

Skills

Giant bees have a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks. *They also have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks to orient themselves.

Celestial Giant Bombardier Beetle
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+6 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d4+1)
Special Attacks: Acid spray
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits, resistance to acid 5,
cold 5, and electricity 5, spell resistance 7
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills: —
Feats: —
Organization: Cluster (2-5) or click (6-11)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)

These creatures feed primarily on carrion and offal, gathering heaps of the stuff in which to build nests and lay eggs. A giant bombardier beetle is about 6 feet long. Giant bombardier beetles normally attack only to defend themselves, their nests, or their eggs.
Acid Spray (Ex): When attacked or disturbed, the creature can release a 10-foot cone of acidic vapor once per round. Those within the cone must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or take 1d4+2 points of acid damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (+2) against an evil foe.

Celestial Dog, Riding
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3)
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, darkvision 60ft., resistance to acid 5,
cold 5, and electricity 5, spell resistance 7
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1*
Feats: Alertness, TrackB
Organization: Solitary or pack (5-12)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: —

This category includes working breeds such as collies, huskies, and St. Bernards.
Carrying Capacity

A light load for a riding dog is up to 100 pounds; a medium load, 101-200 pounds; and a heavy load, 201-300 pounds. A riding dog can drag 1,500 pounds.
Combat

If trained for war, these animals can make trip attacks just as wolves do (see the Wolf entry). A riding dog can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (+2) against an evil foe.
Skills

Riding dogs have a +4 racial bonus on Jump checks. *Riding dogs have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Celestial Eagle
Size/Type: Small Magical Beast [Extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 80 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
Attack: Talons +3 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: 2 talons +3 melee (1d4) and bite -2 melee (1d4)
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, darkvision 60ft., resistance to acid 5,
cold 5, and electricity 5, spell resistance 6
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +16
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: ½
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Medium)

These birds of prey inhabit nearly every terrain and climate, though they all prefer high, secluded nesting spots.

A typical eagle is about 3 feet long and has a wingspan of about 7 feet. The statistics presented here can describe any similar-sized, diurnal bird of prey.
Combat

Eagles dive at prey, raking with their powerful talons.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (+1) against an evil foe.

Skills

Eagles have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

[/sblock]
Edit: Changed sheet a bit. Apparently I can't use a Pearl of Power... so I swapped them for a Rod of Lesser Extension and made a few other small alterations. (Swapped Wis boosting with Str boosting, changed two known spells, and bought some other small gear.)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads