D&D 5E Descent Into The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth Is The First Of Several Single Session D&D Events

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at...

Wizards of the Coast, in The Year of the Dragon, will have several events to celebrate play, including short adventures meant for a single game session--starting with Descent into the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.02.44 PM.png

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was a 1982 adventure by Gary Gygax for AD&D 1E, and was set in the Greyhawk campaign setting. It featured a wilderness journey and two-level dungeon, at the end of which the PCs would face the vampire Drelnza, who was the daughter of the archmage Iggwilv.

No news yet about any others or how many there will be.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I ran this for three groups in 1982--all fourteen or fifteen year old gamers with an average of two or three years of playing D&D.

None of the groups succeeded in getting through the river sections without DM intervention; I had to save all of them/put them in the correct place(s) to continue the adventure. And only one person figured out the puzzle on the doors.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing a new edition. The finale of this was quite fun.

tl;dr - for 14 year old boys, the early parts of this module were too difficult.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Bit of an, uh, colorful source, but here is a full rundown of the original tournament version:

https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight...t-caverns-of-tsojconth-76-tournament-edition/
Even the original 8 page version is expected to be played in two sessions, to my recollection. As a tournament module the usage was one session for the upper caverns, then folks who completed that successfully in the time allowed got to play in a second session in the lower caverns. The upper caverns are basically a maze with random pain/combat encounters (plus some puzzly stuff and maybe one or two encounters you can talk your way through), and the lower caverns can be expected to take quite a while because of the teleporters and having to make your way through the caverns over and over again.

I've played the original and we had to break it into two sessions, upper and lower.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Even the original 8 page version is expected to be played in two sessions, to my recollection. As a tournament module the usage was one session for level 1, then folks who completed that successfully in the time allowed got to play in a second session in the lower caverns.

I've played the original and we had to break it into two sessions, upper and lower.
Oh, fair enough. Still, though, it seems that this event is meant to be some more like the 1976 version than S4.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The title of this thread is a bit misleading, in that there wasn't really any concrete information about what the other "several" event-sessions are going to be.

It's quite possible that they are ALL chunks of the same adventure, split up in a new take on Adventurer's League style in-store or convention play.

It might not be just "the first" as the thread title suggests, but the Umbrella for the whole event.

Remove ads

Remove ads