Strange New Worlds trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I assume that a captain can choose his ranking officers but yes, it seems rather odd. Can't think that M'Benga would like it much.

It could be awkward, in that in an apocryphal, but popular (as in, 12th on the NYT Bestsellers List in November 1984) Trek novel, The Vulcan Academy Murders, it is established that McCoy recruited M'Benga.

Perhaps the answer would be for McCoy to be on sabbatical, detached service, teaching at the Academy or Starfleet Medical, or somesuch for much of the series - if M'Benga knows the main seat is McCoy's when he comes back, that makes it work a bit better.

And now there is also a Number One, pardon, Una, trailer:

The M'Benga thing surprises me as well, but how often was M'Benga on the original show? Maybe he was only temporarily assigned or visiting during McCoy's tenure?

"I wanted to join Starfleet since I first saw the stars" - is she just speaking figuratively, or does that litearlly mean she knew about Starfleet before she had seen the first star? Might suggest an interesting origin - a subterran colony, or the planet of Krikkit?

MarkB

Legend
I'm intrigued as to what story they're going to tell regarding genetic enhancements. A lot of the speculation I've seen has been along the lines of how they can possibly downplay it enough not to intrude upon Khan's stories in TOS and the movies, but Nurse Chapel in her trailer telling La'an Noonien-Singh that she's going to tweak her genome suggests that they're not downplaying anything - possibly quite the reverse.

Ryujin

Legend
And now there is also a Number One, pardon, Una, trailer:

The M'Benga thing surprises me as well, but how often was M'Benga on the original show? Maybe he was only temporarily assigned or visiting during McCoy's tenure?

"I wanted to join Starfleet since I first saw the stars" - is she just speaking figuratively, or does that litearlly mean she knew about Starfleet before she had seen the first star? Might suggest an interesting origin - a subterran colony, or the planet of Krikkit?

M'Benga was only in two episodes of TOS and was touted as an expert in Vulcan medicine. He was in the episode where Kirk was attacked by the mugato and Spock was shot in the back, and he was in the episode about the wandering planet/ark with Lee Meriwether as Losira protecting the outpost. Was pretty sure that I remembered those right but verified them, just in case ;)

(Editied to fix the horny white ape's name from the character in Zoolander ;) )

I'm intrigued as to what story they're going to tell regarding genetic enhancements. A lot of the speculation I've seen has been along the lines of how they can possibly downplay it enough not to intrude upon Khan's stories in TOS and the movies, but Nurse Chapel in her trailer telling La'an Noonien-Singh that she's going to tweak her genome suggests that they're not downplaying anything - possibly quite the reverse.
"Tweaking the genome" might be more about eliminating inherited genetic diseases, rather than enhancements. In TOS (and DS9) it was stated that enhancements were banned, but genetic medicine wouldn't necessarily be also banned.

Remove ads