Strange New Worlds trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Tweaking the genome" might be more about eliminating inherited genetic diseases, rather than enhancements. In TOS (and DS9) it was stated that enhancements were banned, but genetic medicine wouldn't necessarily be also banned.

It is weird to be talking about that on the ship. I mean, if she had a genetic disease or needed to be "tuned down" due to enhancements, wouldn't that have happened before she gets a notable position on a starship?

Ryujin

Legend
It is weird to be talking about that on the ship. I mean, if she had a genetic disease or needed to be "tuned down" due to enhancements, wouldn't that have happened before she gets a notable position on a starship?
I would tend to think so, so this is an odd exchange anyway. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dire Bare

Legend
This is Star Trek, she probably got a genetic disease on her last away mission! :)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
This is Star Trek, she probably got a genetic disease on her last away mission! :)
Fair point, but the patient in the trailer is La'an Noonien-Singh, Khan's descendant, so I think any genetic tweaking is due to her enhanced heritage.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
I'm looking forward to it. Discovery went downhill for me after season three. While I'm enjoying Picard, I know that it's going to end after three seasons, and is limited to Picard's story.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Or, they are giving her a slight modification for an away mission - which can then bring up the question of why that's okay, but full modification isn't. That's a good Trek moral question.

Ryujin

Legend
Oh, that's simple - Dr. Boyce is already gone. The mission to Talos IV has already happened, so he may have retired or moved to another assignment.
It will be interesting to see if the mention Talos IV as being in the past, or simply don't mention it at all.

Remove ads